Page 103 of 725 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203603 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Well sure but according to figures published in BOC, that's only twelve average days worldwide. We can be like they are. Bonus: we'll be able to fly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well, we’ll see what happens here in a minute.

If the AHA numbers are right, 480,000 dead Americans would only make this the single deadliest thing since...well pretty much ever, actually.
    Even at 480,000, that would be less than the 1918 flu's impact of 675,000 deaths in United States, which had a much smaller population back then.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html

Check out the negative population growth number in 1918.

https://www.census.gov/population/es...opclockest.txt

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Even at 480,000, that would be less than the 1918 flu's impact of 675,000 deaths in United States, which had a much smaller population back then.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html

Check out the negative population growth number in 1918.

https://www.census.gov/population/es...opclockest.txt
    Estimates vary from 450k-675k.

I’ll concede - those estimates put COVID-19 on par with the single deadliest event to ever occur on American soil...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Estimates vary from 450k-675k.

I’ll concede - those estimates put COVID-19 on par with the single deadliest event to ever occur on American soil...

Is the number you cited from the Doctor quoted in this article? It does seem like a worse case scenario, and worth being aware of, but not one that's been adopted by the AHA.

"The AHA regularly hosts webinars and conference calls that include a variety of voices and opinions that seek to provide relevant information to professionals at hospitals and health systems that are on the front lines of preparing for and protecting their patients and communities," a spokeswoman for the AHA told Business Insider in an emailed statement. "The slides you shared reflect the various perspectives of field experts and should not be attributed to the AHA."

https://www.businessinsider.com/pres...zations-2020-3

I believe in being cautious and taking measures to not expose people who are at risk.

But I also think the only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Site Supporter
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/asian-...ock-up-on-guns

Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns

As the number of confirmed 2019 novel coronavirus cases continues to multiply, many Americans are emptying store shelves of hand sanitizer, bleach, and canned goods. But there’s an acute fear among Asian Americans that the virus’ origins in China will spark a violent xenophobic backlash. Along the West Coast, where the worst outbreaks of the coronavirus in the U.S. have occurred, those fears seem to be spurring a surge in gun sales.

“People are panicking because they don’t feel secure,” said David Liu, who is Chinese American and owns Arcadia Firearm and Safety, which is just east of Los Angeles. “They worry about a riot or maybe that people will start to target the Chinese.”

Liu said his store had seen a fivefold increase in sales over the past two weeks. He’s sold out of Glock handguns, and some customers have requested to buy his entire inventory of ammunition branded for home defense. “They think it’s Costco,” he said.

According to Liu, the surge customers are overwhelmingly of Chinese descent. They worry, he explained, that in the event of mass panic, they might face violence because of their ethnicity and be easy victims because of their historically low rates of gun ownership. Surveys of gun ownership don’t usually track Asian Americans separately, but instead include them in an “other” category that is typically very small.

As The Los Angeles Times has reported, since the first novel coronavirus outbreaks in the United States, Asian Americans have experienced intensifying venom, including bullying, racist comments, and harassment. On February 24, a man of East Asian descent was assaulted in central London. One of the assailants reportedly said, “I don't want your coronavirus in my country.”

“The main thing I’m hearing is that they don’t wanna get jumped because of their race,” said Cole Gaughran, the internet sales manager at Wade’s Eastside Guns in Bellevue, Washington. Gaughran said his store has seen a sixfold increase in sales in the same two weeks. His new customers, most of them first-time gun owners, were almost entirely of Asian descent, he said. Bellevue is just a 15 minute drive from Kirkland, where at least 11 people have died from the virus.

My LGS here in central TX says they are seeing multiple Asian first time gun buyers citing this issue.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-08-2020 at 01:08 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/asian-...ock-up-on-guns

Asian-Americans Terrified of Coronavirus Backlash Stock Up on Guns

My LGS here in central TX says they are seeing multiple Asian first time gun buyers citing this issue.
    The racism brought out by this crisis is sickening. I am glad that potential victims are preparing to provide an armed response.

For anyone needing TP or paper towels I got some on Amazon yesterday and delivered today!! I hear the stores are running out so try Amazon!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Thanks guys. It's our first. We tried for 12 years, pretty much officially gave up, and a month later found out she was pregnant. It's been a trip.

There's still not much data available. The best I can find is that she's likely more susceptible to getting fairly sick if she catches it, but that goes for about any illness. It does look like it shouldn't be a big issue for the baby. I'm trying to get her to reduce her work hours anyway, and I read last night that in Seattle they are pushing for pregnant women to stay home so I'm putting that bug in her ear. When the first case pops up here I'm hoping she'll take time off work. She's more than a bit stubborn though.

We're in childbirth class right now and lunch is almost over. Gotta go find more caffeine...

Congratulations - I’m pleased for you and your coming adventure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am officially pissed. My conference in Ireland was cancelled. Went to a store and bought a six pack of Guinness to alleviate my disappointment. If I come across that virus, I'll kick its ass.
    I’m sure the Guinness will help...
    Just pour it on the virus.

My wife is Irish, so we pretty much always have some Guinness in the beer fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    For anyone needing TP or paper towels I got some on Amazon yesterday and delivered today!! I hear the stores are running out so try Amazon!
    Don't worry. The internets will make sure that dries up too. Thanks Al Gore.

From yesterday. The soap aisle. LOL

User Tag List