Page 102 of 725 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

And NOVA has it's first.

A U.S. Marine assigned to Fort Belvoir in Fairfax County, Virginia, tested positive with coronavirus on Saturday, the Pentagon says.
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-case/2234121/
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Imagine if the news reported every time someone got sick how freaked out we would be. Oh wait, that's what they are doing.

Unless there is something I am missing, I do not see the need to focus on this or worry about it. Maybe in certain vulnerable populations, but not fora an average and healthy person.
    You have nothing to worry about. Just stay away from the infected people. You do know what they look like, right?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I am officially pissed. My conference in Ireland was cancelled. Went to a store and bought a six pack of Guinness to alleviate my disappointment. If I come across that virus, I'll kick its ass.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am officially pissed. My conference in Ireland was cancelled. Went to a store and bought a six pack of Guinness to alleviate my disappointment. If I come across that virus, I'll kick its ass.
    Sorry to hear that. I would like to go to Ireland on "business". Ancestors made the trip to VA around 1750.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Imagine if the news reported every time someone got sick how freaked out we would be. Oh wait, that's what they are doing.

Unless there is something I am missing, I do not see the need to focus on this or worry about it. Maybe in certain vulnerable populations, but not fora an average and healthy person.
    Depends on your lens you are viewing this through.

Based solely on the individual in terms of potential health risk? Probably pretty low. This figure is probably outdated but lets just say 80% do fine, 20% have serious complications (severe pneumonia, other respiratory conditions), and a small percentage actually die. If you are young, healthy, and no have no underlying conditions, you should be fine. Of course there are always the exception to the rule, YMMV.

Based upon the effect on the rest of society? Yeah, I would be concerned. Unless you have no dependency on society for any sort of food/health services/etc and you have no family that could potentially get sick.

Around the world you have schools closing for weeks, think about the ripple effect. People can't go to work because they need to stay home with their kids. Perhaps they don't have telework options and they just end up losing their job, or perhaps they just go to work and potentially become sick/a carrier. Maybe the workers that supplied goods and services for the schools lose their jobs because demand is down so low. An example is that Lobster is apparently at an all time low because of the cancellation of the Lunar New Year holiday in China and other parts of Asia. US Lobster companies are laying people off because the demand is so low.

The societal effects on the economy is what I am concerned about. If you don't need society then carry on as though nothing is happening.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    You have nothing to worry about. Just stay away from the infected people. You do know what they look like, right?

No I don't but I am not worried about it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Depends on your lens you are viewing this through.

Based solely on the individual in terms of potential health risk? Probably pretty low. This figure is probably outdated but lets just say 80% do fine, 20% have serious complications (severe pneumonia, other respiratory conditions), and a small percentage actually die. If you are young, healthy, and no have no underlying conditions, you should be fine. Of course there are always the exception to the rule, YMMV.

Based upon the effect on the rest of society? Yeah, I would be concerned. Unless you have no dependency on society for any sort of food/health services/etc and you have no family that could potentially get sick.

Around the world you have schools closing for weeks, think about the ripple effect. People can't go to work because they need to stay home with their kids. Perhaps they don't have telework options and they just end up losing their job, or perhaps they just go to work and potentially become sick/a carrier. Maybe the workers that supplied goods and services for the schools lose their jobs because demand is down so low. An example is that Lobster is apparently at an all time low because of the cancellation of the Lunar New Year holiday in China and other parts of Asia. US Lobster companies are laying people off because the demand is so low.

The societal effects on the economy is what I am concerned about. If you don't need society then carry on as though nothing is happening.

The virus does not worry me. The panic does for some of the reasons you listed.

Site Supporter
    Worried or not, I hope everyone in this thread is taking appropriate precautions because while you may not be at risk, unless you're a hermit, you're in direct or indirect contact with people who are.

Site Supporter
    Numbers for mortality rates by age out of Korea (3/07/20) which seems to be the best data we have at the moment.

I pulled this off of wiki, but it can be verified and is frequently updated on the official Korean covid 19 website.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es...5&tag=&nPage=1

Current Confirmed COVID-19 cases in South Korea by gender and age (vte)[51]
    Classification. Cases (%) Death cases (%) Fatality rate (%)
    Total 6,767 (100.0) 44 (100.0) 0.65
    Sex Male 2,522 (37.3) 26 (59.1) 1.03
    Female 4,245 (62.7) 18 (40.9) 0.42
    Age 0-9 52 (0.8) - - -
    10-19 327 (4.8) - - -
    20-29 2,028 (30.0) - - -
    30-39 727 (10.7) 1 (2.3) 0.14
    40-49 941 (13.9) 1 (2.3) 0.11
    50-59 1,287 (19.0) 5 (11.4) 0.39
    60-69 830 (12.3) 11 (25.0) 1.33
    70-79 384 (5.7) 14 (31.8) 3.65
    Above 80 191 (2.8) 12 (27.3) 6.28
    Data as of 2020/03/07 00:00 KST.
    ETA: that formatting is horrible and I can’t seem to fix it.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 03-07-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Well, we’ll see what happens here in a minute.

If the AHA numbers are right, 480,000 dead Americans would only make this the single deadliest thing since...well pretty much ever, actually.

292k KIA/MIA in WW2
    214k KIA/MIA in Civil War
    53.5k in WW1
    44k in Korea
    37k in Vietnam
    5.6k in GWOT

Hey - no big deal - what’s a death count that approximates every 20th and 21st century war we fought in, combined, among friends? This will only be 2.25x the body count of the Civil War - the single deadliest event to occur on American soil - EVER - No big deal, right? Right.

You all better hope the numbers are wrong. But I’m not seeing a lot that suggests they are. Let’s all hope and if you’re a praying sort, pray - because it won’t be a random spread of 1 in every 662 Americans that dies.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 03-07-2020 at 11:28 PM.

User Tag List