Page 679 of 725 FirstFirst ... 179579629669677678679680681689 ... LastLast
Results 6,781 to 6,790 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Just a question because this seems really weird to me. India has a population 4X higher than the US yet it's covid cases are half that of the US. Recently their case numbers have been dropping where US numbers are spiking. Deaths are also less than half the US.

Do they have a better health care system or does it have something to do with the way the US has handled the virus. I thought India was a 3rd world country.
    One of my team members, in the process of getting his green card, is from Bangalore and still has family there. We also have team members in Hyderabad. He and I discussed the reported numbers. He was convinced from anecdotes and from experience with the government that COVID is running rampant in India.

Had my first covid test today. Whoever came up with the idea of putting a swab deep into your sinus for five seconds each side needs to be quartered and drawn.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Had my first covid test today. Whoever came up with the idea of putting a swab deep into your sinus for five seconds each side needs to be quartered and drawn.
    I've not had to take a COVID test, but my first thought was "still probably better than having it put in the other part of your body that ends with 'nus'".

I think the tests are for epidemiologists so they can get a baseline of the number of infected people. I think it's a good idea but my conclusion is, if you have the virus, you won't be admitted to a hospital unless you're critically ill. My wife and I were tested in April but were never informed about the results. The number of tests overwhelmed the county's ability to manage the results. Recently 3 nurses and a doctor walked away from their jobs with the county health department mostly due to burn out and the way the county has handled the pandemic.

I've purposely avoided some routine exams with my doctor because the last time I saw him he looked exhausted. He's an internal medicine doc at a regional clinic/hospital.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I suspect part of the reason you don't see big spikes in some third world nations is that the people normally at risk for Covid are already dead from other causes. There's not a lot of people over 60, transplant recipients, cancer survivors, people with immunity issues, and others saved by the miracles of modern medicine.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I suspect part of the reason you don't see big spikes in some third world nations is that the people normally at risk for Covid are already dead from other causes. There's not a lot of people over 60, transplant recipients, cancer survivors, people with immunity issues, and others saved by the miracles of modern medicine.
    ...and a MUCH younger population, which translates to a very high percentage of COVID-19 mild cases

https://www.worlddata.info/average-age.php

Half the world is 30 or younger (very low risk), but about 90% of this below 30 population lives in developing countries, mainly in Africa,Middle East or some Lating American countries.

Site Supporter
    The first person I know directly (not through a friend or friend of a friend) has died of Covid. I haven't seen or spoken to him in about six years, but he and I were friendly when I was active in the local amateur radio club. He was older than me, by how much I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say he was 15 or so years older. At the time, he was always hale, hearty, energetic, and youthful, but apparently had suffered some health issues these last few years. Anyway, both he and his wife caught Covid, but his case put him in cardiac care with a vent. He didn't last long.

Chris

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    The first person I know directly (not through a friend or friend of a friend) has died of Covid. I haven't seen or spoken to him in about six years, but he and I were friendly when I was active in the local amateur radio club. He was older than me, by how much I don't know. If I had to guess, I'd say he was 15 or so years older. At the time, he was always hale, hearty, energetic, and youthful, but apparently had suffered some health issues these last few years. Anyway, both he and his wife caught Covid, but his case put him in cardiac care with a vent. He didn't last long.

Chris
    Really sorry to hear that. This virus is ruthless.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris

I am sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, I just experienced the same thing. I have lots of friends/acquaintances and family that have had it but no deaths or serious after affects until just recently.

Someone I work/interact with often passed away last night. No comorbidities that I am aware of, however he was at least in his early (maybe mid) 60's and was on the verge of retiring. He had been hospitalized since around Thanksgiving, on and off a vent. They had given him a tracheotomy and he was "doing better" according to a coworker that is very close to him, but passed last night. I believe he caught it while on vacation in East TN.

My wife's Uncle passed on Christmas eve. He probably acquired it from the store he owned. He was in his late 70's with significant comorbidities. He had almost died late last year and his heart was only functioning at 30%. His wife was in pretty bad shape, his daughter was miserable but no significant issues. His son had it but it wasn't very bad, his husband never caught it or never had symptoms and their 3 adopted children did not appear to have caught it or they had no symptoms.

Of course, in response, my wife's family had a "super spreader event".

They did "social distance"....

Instead 4 hours of of 1:00 crying snotty hugs without masks followed by a community meal at the church, they had 1hour of 20 sec crying snotty hugs with masks and a meal at home with the sub 8 yr old snotty/coughing covid factories climbing around on everything and everybody....

I told my wife, if I don't catch it this time, I really am Matt Damon.....

We had an interesting and lively discussion on the way down there about whether the vaccine should be mandatory or not. My wife is against it being mandatory. I haven't made up my mind about it but my wife's argument was that it shouldn't be mandatory and that if people would just stop doing stupid things the virus wouldn't be such a problem.

Me: "You mean like going to unrestricted access funerals in another state?"

I got to listen to a very large and uninterrupted segment of my liked songs on Spotify.

My boss from LV. passed Sunday and they've categorized it as COVID related. 26 years with Metro, about 16 of them as a robbery detective and 5 with the DA's office. The epitome of a hard charging smart cop with a hell of a sense of humor.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List