Page 400 of 725 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400401402410450500 ... LastLast
Results 3,991 to 4,000 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

This is a really good read.

“What it feels like to survive COVID-19’s dreaded “cytokine storm”
    A doctor and coronavirus patient in recovery describes his experience surviving COVID-19's worst side effect“

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/05/wha...ytokine-storm/

Site Supporter
    Why do tigers have better healthcare than I do?
    They are orange?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I was in Lowes today getting some hardware for a project I'm working on. Some guy plenty old enough to know better had what appeared to be two of his daughters, each with their own kid (the women were much too young to be his wife and looked 25-30), and also a teenage son with him. They were just strolling around the store planning their next project I guess. They walked right up to me to look at something without a care in the world. I swear if that happens again I'm going to have a coughing fit. I almost pointed out that there was a Bestbuy across the intersection, and that he needed to go buy a TV, take it home and turn the fucker on! Dumbfucks. Dumbfucks everywhere!
    Flu, Cold, ect: "OMG, I feel like zombie poop- I need to go home and lay down."
    Covid-19: "Imma go OUT and DO ALL THE THINGS!!!"
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Right? How in the actual fuck do we have tests for lions and tigers and the Utah Jazz, but not regular sick folk? Why do tigers have better healthcare than I do?
    Because bitter old guys like you and me who cling to guns and whatever religion aren’t endangered?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Sweden is so fucked. Can’t wait to see their hubris bite them.

Surprisingly enough, people in the actual city of Chicago are doing well keeping their distances. I’ve seen a few of my neighbors chatting close together, but for the most part, 4-6’ or more. People walking dogs, who have a tendency to vector in on you when you’re walking your dog, are doing very well. We certainly see people out and about, but not anywhere the level I would actually expect.

Hell we went and dropped off some stuff on my SIL’s front porch and then drove around the corner past the Weed Store. And out front, people were spaced roughly six feet apart, while queueing up to buy dope.

PS: Tests on animals probably don’t mean CDC guidelines/reach medical-grade level. It’s seriously just some reagents and real-time PCR. Not super complicated.

Site Supporter
    As has been explained, masks retard transmission of aerosols and even some liquids. The virus contaminates these substances. Some may not realize that some virus particles can pass through pores of clay pots. In Pasteur's day porcelain filters existed that could trap bacteria. Later it was determined that viruses passed through these filters. I write this to emphasize how small viral particles are. As they are found on objects that they contaminate, I consider them viable in that they can infect. Once inside cells of a host, viruses reproduce by taking over cells' machinery and commanding cells to reproduce them. By themselves they can not reproduce. Unlike cells, viruses can not reproduce by dividing. I write this simplified explanation for benefit of those who may have forgot their high school biology.

Site Supporter
    China hoovering up all the PPE they can get and not allowing US companies manufacturing in China to export PPE products.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/trump-...arding-of-ppe/

All the while China is blatantly under reporting their current cases and using all the propaganda outfits they have to reimagine the origin of the virus.

I would hope the various economies of the world will remember this when it comes time to consider their current business dealings with China. Maybe not have 90 to 100 percent of products manufactured offshore to chase cheap labor to the bottom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakus View Post
    China hoovering up all the PPE they can get and not allowing US companies manufacturing in China to export PPE products.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/trump-...arding-of-ppe/

All the while China is blatantly under reporting their current cases and using all the propaganda outfits they have to reimagine the origin of the virus.

I would hope the various economies of the world will remember this when it comes time to consider their current business dealings with China. Maybe not have 90 to 100 percent of products manufactured offshore to chase cheap labor to the bottom.
    The masses have short memories, and many individuals who do recall really don't give a shit as long as Wally World has their gizmos's and garments. If we cared--they, you, and I--we would have ended up with less dependence on the
    iger. Our economy has depended on importing cheap goods, and we have even shipped many services overseas. When you call the local cable company, have you noticed the "other than American" accent on the phone?

An acquaintance is a two time ex-offender whose business makes use of Chinese imports. He defends the status quo. When I suggested that we should contract with Mexico to house our prison population, he was horrified at the idea even when I pointed out great financial savings. Matter of Perspective?
    Last edited by willie; 04-06-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Something different.....

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...onavirus-music

You’ve probably seen dozens of images of the novel coronavirus—now responsible for 1 million infections and tens of thousands of deaths. Now, scientists have come up with a way for you to hear it: by translating the structure of its famous spike protein into music.

Using a new technique called sonification, scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology assigned each amino acid a unique note in a musical scale, converting the entire protein into a preliminary musical score.

But why would you set a virus to music? The new format can help scientists find sites on the protein where antibodies or drugs might be able to bind—simply by searching for specific musical sequences that correspond to these sites. This, the researchers say, is faster and more intuitive than conventional methods used to study proteins, such as molecular modeling.

It's come to this:
    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  69.4 KB

My wife wants me to shave my beard for wearing a mask.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List