Page 390 of 725 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392400440490 ... LastLast
Results 3,891 to 3,900 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If someone doesn't wear seat belts, they're not risking the lives of people around them.
    I get your point, but that does remind me of an incident from my misspent youth. I am reminded of finding myself on the passenger side of my 1970 Ford LTD's front bench seat after ArmorAll-ing it as a teenager. I wore my lap belt after that. It technically had a shoulder belt, but it was strapped up above the window and you had to put the lap belt on, unstrap the shoulder belt, then hook the shoulder belt into the buckle of the lap belt.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I'm kind of wondering what the long term health consequences of the lockdown are going to be. There's a lot of people who are turning sedentary, not exercising, eating poorly, drinking to excess, and are bored, depressed, anxious, and not in a good headspace.

I suspect that not only will being fat, out of shape, and mentally run down make people more vulnerable to the virus, we'll also have more people getting sick from other things down the road.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking a multiple months long lockdown will probably do a fair amount of public health harm on it's own.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    That free will on seat belts is pseudo-libertarian bullshit. If you die or get injured, it does have consequences. If you cut up because your damn ass head goes into the windshield, your blood puts the first responders at some risk, even with protection.

Lots of folks are under insured or not insured (live in TX) and go to the emergency room on my tax dime. If you are handicapped, tax payers will pick up your care and perhaps your long term care.

If you get Covid-19, you are not picking up the entire societal costs and subsequent risks. So put on a mask if you are near people.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I get your point, but that does remind me of an incident from my misspent youth. I am reminded of finding myself on the passenger side of my 1970 Ford LTD's front bench seat after ArmorAll-ing it as a teenager. I wore my lap belt after that. It technically had a shoulder belt, but it was strapped up above the window and you had to put the lap belt on, unstrap the shoulder belt, then hook the shoulder belt into the buckle of the lap belt.
    The driver's ed book I read way back when mention that one of the purpose of a seat belt is to keep the driver behind the wheel during emergency maneuvers- which has always made sense to me.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

@Tabasco,

Um, your friend was in an ED, satting 75%, and they discharged him and had his wife drive him an hour and a half to higher care?

Uhhhh......what. the. fuck. The appropriate thing to do would have been an interfacility ambulance transport where they could have continued providing 02. Insurance would have covered this if Telluride didn't have the capability to treat him, and if he didn't have insurance the hospital would legally be on the hook to have him transported regardless.

@TQP, @Josh Runkle, @Nephrology, @ccmdfd, @Sensei
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B

"If someone doesn't wear seat belts, they're not risking the lives of people around them."

Actually, they are, at least to those in the car as any un-restrained persons can go flying about with death and/or serious injury causing velocity during collisions, roll-overs etc.

FWIW/YMMV

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm kind of wondering what the long term health consequences of the lockdown are going to be. There's a lot of people who are turning sedentary, not exercising, eating poorly, drinking to excess, and are bored, depressed, anxious, and not in a good headspace.
    Yes, but there are alternatives for those who have the motivation. There are aerobics and yoga videos online. My roomie's aerobics instructor has been live-casting sessions for her students and then posting the videos.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

I suspect that not only will being fat, out of shape, and mentally run down make people more vulnerable to the virus, we'll also have more people getting sick from other things down the road.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking a multiple months long lockdown will probably do a fair amount of public health harm on it's own.
    I was thinking society would actually come out of this with way less diabetes and whatnot.

My wife and I take daily walks, and we've seen way more people out and about than we ever have. The lake we usually go for walks at is literally filled with people riding bikes, walking, jogging, etc. So much so that we stopped going there a couple weeks ago and walk around the neighborhood instead, where we never saw people at all....and there's still plenty of people out. The majority of people we see are new faces that look like they live very sedentary lives normally; these people are on top of the people who we'd regularly see out jogging, walking, staying healthy.

It's a similar phenomenon to gyms and "new year new me" fucksticks in January. It's really annoying, actually. All these gat'damn interlopers.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Hopefully cabin fever drives people to put more effort into getting into shape.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Tabasco,

Um, your friend was in an ED, satting 75%, and they discharged him and had his wife drive him an hour and a half to higher care?

Uhhhh......what. the. fuck. The appropriate thing to do would have been an interfacility ambulance transport where they could have continued providing 02. Insurance would have covered this if Telluride didn't have the capability to treat him, and if he didn't have insurance the hospital would legally be on the hook to have him transported regardless.

@TQP, @Josh Runkle, @Nephrology, @ccmdfd, @Sensei
    Agreed. Healthy people don’t tolerate sats of 75% for long. Many things sound off...
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List