Page 309 of 725 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I stand corrected. My daughter just informed me the school is not allowing students back to pick up until April 6. On what "Fing" planet do these people live??????? It's only going to worse then!
    I made a 1600 mile round trip to retrieve *my son* from his off-campus apartment last week. Since I was there, I loaded his stuff in my car. If he’d been home already? His stuff could swing. He’d probably have brought his guitar and his laptop with him. Books, clothes, bedding, dishes? Yeah. I’ll take that hit.

I don’t plan on him being back there before September, if they get it together by then.

We left his 1998 Civic with my niece.

Those 2 pts that got intubated the other night were covid neg. Found out tnite.

More units are converting to covid now too. I’ll post some numbers later.

Antiviral natural stuff you can take
    … I take a lot of herbs and stay very healthy every flu season.

Ravensara Oil
    Elderberry
    Myrrh
    Liposomal Vitamin C SOFTGELS

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Sorry dude, good luck to them. I have a new born and I've lost sleep about her getting it. She's had a cold for about a week and was wheezing the last couple days. Let me tell you, that sucked. But she seems to be better to day so I'm hoping it was just a cold and she's out of the woods. My wife and son both had a cold and got over it so I'm not super worried, but if I get sent back to the office too soon I'm not going to be happy.
    I’m taking some solace in that so far I can only find a single report of a child under 5 dying as a result and only a handful of people under 18 in general.. Kids really do seem to weather this virus much better than adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    Very sorry to hear that. Wishing them the best and a happy ending (in the conventional sense).
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    @RevolverRob, sorry to hear that, hoping for the best.
    Thanks for the well wishes guys. I think everyone will likely be okay here, my BIL is the oldest of the kids and he is 38 and here on Chicago, working from home, his wife (my wife’s sister) was already home schooling their two kids starting months ago. So they about as safe as can be right now. So his sister and brother are both younger and generally healthy people, and that’s about all we can hope for besides reminding ourselves that probably ~95% of folks will come out of this just fine.

RevolverRob
    I truly wish good health for your friends and family. !
    Name:  4-leaf_clover.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  56.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK View Post
    I have a quality ozone generator that I used to sanitize nicotine/tobacco in a used Ford Explorer we purchased last year. It seems that ozone kills bacteria and viruses as well. Do you think that it can be used to disinfect N95 masks if I were to set up a ‘steamer trunk’ type of a hotbox? We are almost out of masks in the Seattle area.
    This is not my area of expertise and I cannot comment on the ozone generator, but if you're looking for options, there does seem to be documented success using ultraviolet light. Summary here, details here.

In an effort to extend the stockpile of N95 FFRs at our institution, we developed a decontamination procedure involving the delivery of ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) to used N95 FFRs. The evidence base supporting this program includes: 1) UVGI has been shown to effectively inactivate a wide range of human pathogens including coronaviruses and other human respiratory viruses; 2) UVGI has been demonstrated to inactivate human respiratory viruses, including coronaviruses, on various models of N95 FFRs; 3) levels of UVGI needed to inactive human respiratory viruses are well below the level of irradiation that adversely affects the fit and filtration characteristics of N95 FFRs; and 4) UVGI can be safely administered when appropriate safeguards are in place.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK View Post
    I have a quality ozone generator that I used to sanitize nicotine/tobacco in a used Ford Explorer we purchased last year. It seems that ozone kills bacteria and viruses as well. Do you think that it can be used to disinfect N95 masks if I were to set up a ‘steamer trunk’ type of a hotbox? We are almost out of masks in the Seattle area.
    Perhaps I am being too cautious, but using ozone to disinfect masks may work -- and be dangerous. Ozone is a potent oxidizer, and it damages human cells at an alarming rate. Ozone is the main constituent of smog. Breathing even a little ozone can lead to irritation in the areas COVID-19 attacks. In addition, ozone is tough on a lot of man-made substances, causing things like seal and gasket failures.

Quote Originally Posted by EricM View Post
    This is not my area of expertise and I cannot comment on the ozone generator, but if you're looking for options, there does seem to be documented success using ultraviolet light. Summary here, details here.
    I would have concerns with UV hitting all necessary surfaces (inside the housing for the valve).

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wife just informed me that our brother-in-law's 1-year old nephew (his sister's child) has it. They are in Houston-area and we anticipate that soon that mom and dad will have it. Brother-in-law's brother will also be next, the BIL's bro's wife has it. They are a fairly tight Muslim family and don't "social distance" well in general, so I'm not surprised.

My wife is upset, because BIL's sister is actually a fairly close friend of our's and currently pregnant (we all went to college together).
    That's rough new, Rob. I hope they all come through it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That makes an intuitive sense where you can imagine a critical illness puts a lot of strain on a body, a body with more fat reserves has more energy for burning even in a low energy state (I guess think hibernating bears)...that’s just my hypothesis, dunno if it really would work that way.

But what you’re saying is, if I get cancer, I should get real fat right after diagnosis, before I start chemo? Awesome news from (not my) cardiologist!
    Not real fat. Just mildly overweight. Basically, chemo and radiation kill your appetite.

Based on reading when my mom had pancreatic cancer. Not medical advice. Not a doctor. I'm a software developer at a cancer research hospital.

Keep in mind also, cancer is not a single disease. It is lots (many dozens) of different diseases. Here is an article on the "obesity paradox in cancer". It covers a lot of possibilities, including the possibility that low BMI linked with bad survival rates due to cancers caught at later points where the person has already lost too much weight due to the cancer. (One of the reasons cancer docs push early detection.)
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5830139/
    Last edited by Tod-13; 03-25-2020 at 07:33 AM.

User Tag List