Page 662 of 725 FirstFirst ... 162562612652660661662663664672712 ... LastLast
Results 6,611 to 6,620 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    That's been my issue with mask mandates from the start. While I understand "effective" is a sliding scale and not a binary choice, there's got to be a huge difference between a properly worn N95 mask using correct donning/wearing/doffing procedures and a chin diaper made out of Lycra. The "just wear a mask" and then the political associations with it have largely pushed that out of the debate in the public space.
    Unfortunately, I feel that the effectiveness of masks for preventing community spread was oversold. Much of the mask literature is based on studies in the clinical environment with near ideal compliance (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32663246), studies with incomplete data (https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817), or studies based on mathematical models with questionable assumptions. Like you said, not all masks or brains under the mask are created equal, and my decision to wear a mask made from material that I obtained at Victoria’s Secret may not afford me the same protection as your N95.

My fear is that masks provide an excuse to engage in more risky physical distancing behaviors. Case in point - I split my time between MI and NC where the community perceptions of this pandemic are very different probably because the greater Detroit metroplex got hammered last Spring and NC never faced resource-limiting infection rates. In MI, the gyms are open but everyone keeps their masks on their entire face and go out of their way to maintain physical distancing as they go about their exercises. At the YMCA in Winston Salem 2 days ago, I watched as one guy spotted another doing bench presses and yelled encouragements - both with their masks under their chins.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My fear is that masks provide an excuse to engage in more risky physical distancing behaviors. Case in point - I split my time between MI and NC where the community perceptions of this pandemic are very different probably because the greater Detroit metroplex got hammered last Spring and NC never faced resource-limiting infection rates. In MI, the gyms are open but everyone keeps their masks on their entire face and go out of their way to maintain physical distancing as they go about their exercises. At the YMCA in Winston Salem 2 days ago, I watched as one guy spotted another doing bench presses and yelled encouragements - both with their masks under their chins.
    Discussion at dinner with college age daughter yesterday:

Daughter: I need to make a dentist appointment to get a cleaning.
    Me: Can you wait a few months.... until I get vaccinated.?
    D: <Cold stare>
    M: I'm not sure I can think of something I'd rather avoid more than laying on my back with my airway open, underneath someone who breathes other people's air all day.
    D: <cold stare> I'm going to work out.
    M: Do they require masks at the gym?
    D: No, it's optional, but they do social distancing.
    M: Well then I stand corrected... There is something I would avoid even harder than the dentist.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    PICC lines are peripheral IVs that end up positioned in the superior vena cava (right above your heart). They're used often for IV antibiotics. Not something you can usually get done at a doc-in-the-box.

Sorry to hear that, sounds stressful.
    It’s such a pain in the ass to live with.
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It’s such a pain in the ass to live with.
    I believe that. I've only ever had one when I was in the hospital; wasn't doing a whole lot of moving, so I didn't notice so much . I was 17 at the time and had no idea what they were.

I remember very vividly when they finally pulled the PICC at the end of my hospitalization. Nurse put me in trendelenberg (head down, feet up) and had me hum while they pulled the line. I was shocked when he kept pulling, and pulling, and pulling, and pulling. Felt like 3 feet of IV came out of my neck. Pretty unforgettable.

I believe that. I've only ever had one when I was in the hospital; wasn't doing a whole lot of moving, so I didn't notice so much . I was 17 at the time and had no idea what they were.

I remember very vividly when they finally pulled the PICC at the end of my hospitalization. Nurse put me in trendelenberg (head down, feet up) and had me hum while they pulled the line. I was shocked when he kept pulling, and pulling, and pulling, and pulling. Felt like 3 feet of IV came out of my neck. Pretty unforgettable.
    Ugh. Late wife had near constant PICCs for several years for very frequent IV antibiotics before they finally just installed a port. They waited too long, because by then her veins were trashed - some of the big hammer antibiotics are almost corrosive to blood vessels.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Off topic-- that reminds me of when I got a couple kidney stones about 5 years ago. One got stuck, and I had to have laser lithotripsy, and they left a stent in. When they removed it -- via a string that had been tied around my...appendage-- it was like your PICC line experience. I received a pin afterwards that looks exactly like your avatar, so I get to think about that experience every time I see one of your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Off topic-- that reminds me of when I got a couple kidney stones about 5 years ago. One got stuck, and I had to have laser lithotripsy, and they left a stent in. When they removed it -- via a string that had been tied around my...appendage-- it was like your PICC line experience. I received a pin afterwards that looks exactly like your avatar, so I get to think about that experience every time I see one of your posts.
    Glad I can help rekindle fond memories

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Uretal stent?

Man when I had mine pulled after surgery for a stone, I about passed out from the pain and was ready to hit the urologist with a 2X4 since he didn't warn me.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Uretal stent?

Man when I had mine pulled after surgery for a stone, I about passed out from the pain and was ready to hit the urologist with a 2X4 since he didn't warn me.
    Yep. I screamed.

The nurse left me alone for a while to "collect myself." I laid there curled up in the fetal position for longer than I care to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Uretal stent?

I've found that the pain associated with minor procedures is ALWAYS undersold. Graft biopsies being a great example. "It's not innervated," they told me...

User Tag List