Page 137 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237637 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Local university is on Spring Break now, and apparently is staying closed for at least two additional weeks due to a confirmed case among the faculty there. Local public schools are following suit (Spring Break next week, staying closed the following week).

My question is this. It's all well and good for my kids to stay home for two weeks, but, since I and my wife are still out and about in public for work and life stuff (shopping, etc), what is this going to accomplish. If I or my better half get infected on day 10 of the two week closure, and pass it to the kids before we get symptomatic, they're going to end up back at school before we know any of us are sick. What then? Start the process all over again?

I'm honestly looking for opinions - but I think we're just guessing right now and most of these half measures are "feel goods" at best - bandaids on individual shotgun pellet holes...
    I also have the same reservations as you about this issue. If we shut down only part of our infrastructure, then the infrastructure that remains open becomes the next route of transmission.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

The outbreak in Italy is scary... increasingly getting worse, now the fatality rate is 6.6% of al known cases (827/12,462), with 1,028 in serious/critical condition. All this in a little more than two weeks. I know... the death rate is just a poor indicator at this moment.

196 deaths in the last 24 hs!

And worth repeating, 85% of this is in Lombardy, one of the most developed and wealthiest parts of Europe.

No doubt there are many more cases (like in any outbreak of this type), but they have performed 60,761 tests so far, and not evenly distributed all over the country but 80%+ of theses tests in a region that has about 16 million people, at a rate of about 3,000 tests per million people.
    Last edited by TiroFijo; 03-11-2020 at 01:21 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    The outbreak in Italy is scary... increasingly getting worse, now the fatality rate is 6.6% of al known cases (827/12,462), with 1,028 in serious/critical condition. All this in a little more than two weeks. I know... the death rate is just a poor indicator at this moment.

196 deaths in the last 24 hs!

And worth repeating, 85% of this is in Lombardy, one of the most developed and wealthiest parts of Europe.

No doubt there are many more cases (like in any outbreak of this type), but they have performed 60,761 tests so far, and not evenly distributed all over the country but 80%+ of theses tests in a region that has about 16 million people, at a rate of about 3,000 tests per million people.
    From gossip I am hearing, death rate is so high because they are having to triage patients with respiratory failure. Those who are older and sicker aren't even getting seen by an ICU physician, simply given O2 by mask and morphine for comfort care.

Site Supporter
    Got this message from Grainger, a crazy big industrial supply company:

• We are working closely with suppliers to maintain the flow of product or find alternates where supplies may be limited. Like many, we are affected by the global shortage of pandemic-related product, including personal protective equipment, which we typically stock to well-exceed customer need–even in significant emergencies.
    • To put the challenge in perspective, over the past few weeks orders for safety masks exceeded our entire on-hand supply by several years, and in some cases, decades. We are working through this challenge and are leveraging our supplier relationships to quickly obtain available merchandise, but in some cases, shipment timing is still undefined.
    • Please understand we must prioritize orders to ensure customers such as the government, first responders and hospitals have appropriate resources to assist those impacted by this virus. All other orders are arranged based on Grainger inventory management commitments, contract obligations and order timing.

I thought the bolded was pretty crazy, decades. People have been ordering a metric shit ton of masks.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post

• We are working closely with suppliers to maintain the flow of product or find alternates where supplies may be limited. Like many, we are affected by the global shortage of pandemic-related product, including personal protective equipment, which we typically stock to well-exceed customer need–even in significant emergencies.
    • To put the challenge in perspective, over the past few weeks orders for safety masks exceeded our entire on-hand supply by several years, and in some cases, decades. We are working through this challenge and are leveraging our supplier relationships to quickly obtain available merchandise, but in some cases, shipment timing is still undefined.
    • Please understand we must prioritize orders to ensure customers such as the government, first responders and hospitals have appropriate resources to assist those impacted by this virus. All other orders are arranged based on Grainger inventory management commitments, contract obligations and order timing.

I thought the bolded was pretty crazy, decades. People have been ordering a metric shit ton of masks.
    We need to start putting together new facilities. Think "Tesla trying to meet quarterly deliveries" type moves. Making factories in tents, etc.

On the home front.

My wife just told me that her friends grandson (about 12) is pretty sick. His parents took him to a clinic and they tested for flu. Came back negative. The clinic said they couldn't test for CVD, that only people who check into the hospital can be tested. That would be Everett Prov. Not sure if they're going to do that but it seems ridiculous to me. Why tie up hospital staff with that when they already have their hands full with new confirmed cases everyday? My wife had coffee with her friend a few days ago so she is now unsure if her friend was exposed. Good news is her friends contact with her grandson was 10 days ago so I don't think she would have been exposed if he has CVD.

The take away for me here is there isn't enough tests still, or not enough labs to do the tests. So we've decided to stop all social interaction and we're limiting our non social interaction to trips for food, which will be once every few weeks. The entire area here is basically shutting down. According to the news nobody really has a handle on this except maybe China who will now quarantine everyone coming into the country.

State health agency here says they have enough tests and the ability to do those but it looks like they don't for people who don't want to check into a hospital.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-11-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    If every small business is forced to close down for a period of time in the US, what economic impact will that have? Who's going to cover my rent? Who's going to pay me? If this is a concern of small business owner in the US now, what's already happened in 2nd and 3rd world countries? How many are dying due to the economic downturn worldwide? Will the number of people dying due to the economic downturn be worse than COVID?

Just thinking aloud.
    I feel for you and businesses of your type. No matter how sanitary you keep your facility, the type of activity you do requires you to go hands on and at bad breath distance. Just one infected person in the 4 day incubation period can put everything at risk.

Give me a robber with a gun anytime. At least if my guys keep their heads on a swivel they have a chance of seeing it coming.

We are discussing protocols here with handling as we do some of the dirtiest material in the world. Other peoples money.

Stay safe brother.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 03-11-2020 at 02:33 PM.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    We need to start putting together new facilities. Think "Tesla trying to meet quarterly deliveries" type moves. Making factories in tents, etc.
    I agree, but doing so requires upending the normal construction approval processes. Using normal processes, building a new plant takes months of prep work just to get the approval to proceed. And if the plant is anywhere near something the EPA covers or where endangered wildlife is, it becomes years. So that process needs to be tossed. The Pentagon was built in six months; it would take a decade to do so today. OSHA regulations would have to be waived.

Then we have to talk about raw materials. We rarely mine for stuff anymore. That is all done somewhere else. And setting up a new supply chain is not easy.

Then we talk about the people to do the work. Since NAFTA passed, US manufacturing has been dismantled, with basic manufacturing moving to other countries. A lot of skilled trades jobs went with those manufacturing plants. Finding a decent machinist is hard to do as all of the good ones have good jobs. It took decades to get us to this place, and we are not going to crawl out of it in months.

Site Supporter
    Quoting myself from waaaaay back on Page 1 of this thread (01/22/2020):

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    My wife just left on Monday for a two week work trip to Manila with layovers both ways in Japan. I'm sure the risks are pretty low, but it is still worrisome.
    She's traveling again for work twice more this month, to Washington D.C. for a conference, and to Bucharest for a series of meetings. At nearly two months into this thing, I'm no longer sure that the "risks are pretty low."

"Worrisome" has become an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post

Uline is restricting mask sales to reorders from people who had ordered them prior to 1/1.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List