Page 104 of 725 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204604 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post

That's about 5 miles from my house, and I used to work on that base. However, that case doesn't worry me.

If I were concerned, I'd be concerned about 1) the numerous meetings I attend, which usually involve 10-30 people in small conference rooms; 2) riding the DC metro every day (yecch); 3) or my wife, who is a kindergarten teacher and works in a germ farm every day.

Quote Originally Posted by deflave View Post
    From yesterday. The soap aisle. LOL

I did laugh at the store yesterday. Hand soap, stripped. Dishwashing soap, plenty.

It’s all just detergent, with different amounts of dilution, fragrance, thickeners, and other additives.

So I can’t be the only person who thinks all these idiots buying up everything is a little over board right? No run on generators yet as far as we saw when we went shopping yesterday. Canned goods didn’t seem touched either in my area...

Canned food is the only thing I'd get if I tried to plan for something. Not because of societal breakdown but because if you are quarantined, you can't leave the house to buy groceries. Having a good social circle and friends who could do that for you is not unimportant for times like these but what if they are quarantined too.

I am yet again grateful to mother Russia for endowing me with useful survival skills during my formative years. I am thinking of making a video how to wipe your ass without a toilet paper. Wall Street Journal intro offer delivers a fresh paper six days a week for three month for just 12 bucks, straight to your home. I need an actor for my video, engaging smile and nice ass are required, voice delivery optional. Anyone here on pf can fill that role?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by XXXsilverXXX View Post
    So I can’t be the only person who thinks all these idiots buying up everything is a little over board right? No run on generators yet as far as we saw when we went shopping yesterday. Canned goods didn’t seem touched either in my area...

The part that concerns me to some degree is, IF the virus expands, as pretty much anyone paying attention feels is likely, the direct effect of getting sick isnt so much the problem for most people, but the manufacturing production effects if businesses (as in the people that produce food) slow or shut down work for even short periods to help contain the spread of the virus. All the food in the stores and whatever else one uses regularly may, may, have an interruption in production for a few weeks, and theres not large reserves in supply lines if I understand modern marketing methods correctly.

Unlike ammo, if the available supply runs low, if you arent stocked up ahead of the hiccups in supply keeping up, you can go without shooting a while, where a box or two of ammo can sit without an issue and see you through the dry spell, its more difficult to not eat for a few weeks or month or whatever. The food aspect may be exacerbated by peoples reluctance to eat out (assuming all the normal places stay open), so home cooking and eating takes on a higher priority, further pressuring consumer grocery supplies.

So, not going crazy, but I'm laying in some extra groceries above average use and buying levels. I used up all my grocery reserves when injured and unable to work and havent built them back up to the same levels. Also have an elderly and unhealthy parent Im trying to take care of and the less either of us has to go out, the less likelihood of being exposed to the virus.

Question for health care professionals, if one puts a sanitizing wipe cloth in a small ziplock bag, does it continue to be effective through the day so long as it doesnt dry out? Ive been stretching supplies by putting them in the little 2x3-ish ziplocks from the hobby section of walmart. I believe they sell them to keep small guns parts in or whatever, but they seem to keep a sanitizing wipe fresh.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am yet again grateful to mother Russia for endowing me with useful survival skills during my formative years. I am thinking of making a video how to wipe your ass without a toilet paper. Wall Street Journal intro offer delivers a fresh paper six days a week for three month for just 12 bucks, straight to your home. I need an actor for my video, engaging smile and nice ass are required, voice delivery optional. Anyone here on pf can fill that role?
    How much will you pay? I've been in a gun commercial, so I'm already internet famous.

Our school district just cancelled all classes and school activities for the next week even with no students or staff with the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    How much will you pay? I've been in a gun commercial, so I'm already internet famous.

How much did the gun commercial pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Question for health care professionals, if one puts a sanitizing wipe cloth in a small ziplock bag, does it continue to be effective through the day so long as it doesnt dry out?
    Yes.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well, we’ll see what happens here in a minute.

If the AHA numbers are right, 480,000 dead Americans would only make this the single deadliest thing since...well pretty much ever, actually.

292k KIA/MIA in WW2
    214k KIA/MIA in Civil War
    53.5k in WW1
    44k in Korea
    37k in Vietnam
    5.6k in GWOT

Hey - no big deal - what’s a death count that approximates every 20th and 21st century war we fought in, combined, among friends? This will only be 2.25x the body count of the Civil War - the single deadliest event to occur on American soil - EVER - No big deal, right? Right.

You all better hope the numbers are wrong. But I’m not seeing a lot that suggests they are. Let’s all hope and if you’re a praying sort, pray - because it won’t be a random spread of 1 in every 662 Americans that dies.
    I remember reading that the civil war killed somewhere around 620K. But 480K is still a large number so not making light of that.

Being at ground zero with this thing for awhile and watching the fallout in my community I'm starting to get a little pissed off at the people in the adm that set on their asses for weeks (actually more than a month) while they knew this thing was on it's way here. That's a total break down in adm leadership right to the top. That's like knowing a cat 5 hurricane is coming, exactly when and where it's going to hit and not doing a damn thing to prepare for it.

Most people haven't had this experience yet but they will. I'm already reading that to effectively contain something like this you need to be way ahead of it and prepared. Now about all we can do is damage control and hope we aren't so far behind it that it can't be contained, which is basically what my interpretation is now. I know the media is out to stomp Trump with this, but you can just about draw your own conclusions without any help from CNN, WaPo, or the NYT. This virus is spreading much faster than anyone imagined.

Or maybe I'm just way off base on this by expecting the fed to be prepared. Maybe they're incompetent no matter who's steering the ship. A case could be made for that also.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The part that concerns me to some degree is, IF the virus expands, as pretty much anyone paying attention feels is likely, the direct effect of getting sick isnt so much the problem for most people, but the manufacturing production effects if businesses (as in the people that produce food) slow or shut down work for even short periods to help contain the spread of the virus. All the food in the stores and whatever else one uses regularly may, may, have an interruption in production for a few weeks, and theres not large reserves in supply lines if I understand modern marketing methods correctly.

Unlike ammo, if the available supply runs low, if you arent stocked up ahead of the hiccups in supply keeping up, you can go without shooting a while, where a box or two of ammo can sit without an issue and see you through the dry spell, its more difficult to not eat for a few weeks or month or whatever. The food aspect may be exacerbated by peoples reluctance to eat out (assuming all the normal places stay open), so home cooking and eating takes on a higher priority, further pressuring consumer grocery supplies.
    That does put things into perspective, thank you.

Should any of us at all be worried about gas or power shortage in the near future. I would assume even the unseen people who run our electrical grid may get sick...

User Tag List