Page 646 of 725 FirstFirst ... 146546596636644645646647648656696 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,460 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    They’ll release the recommendation shortly and I’d appreciate a look at the supporting rationale. In terms of why, as a manufacturer of things, quarantine sucks. Every unnecessary day of quarantine takes a skilled worker out of the line, which means that either the thing that was supposed to get made doesn’t. This has huge impacts to efficiency, when we’re already trying to manage schedules that have had huge amounts of uncertainty introduced by the pandemic. Lots of us are losing our ass. The more skilled the position, the worse the impact. You can’t unfuck a robot on Teams.

We have had a full floor through the entire pandemic (save a 50% skeleton in April while we moved the line around to space stuff out) and we have had zero community spread. We’ve lost no floor time to the illness itself, but have really suffered from contact-related quarantine. This will absolutely cost jobs next year. I understand that lives are at stake but we are not seeing our workplace as a spreading vector.
    "Robots" don't get sick. The whole COVID drama will encourage a variety of industries to automate more and faster = lots less jobs. Add a push for raising minimum wage, higher taxes, etc. = lots less jobs. Meat processing plants, fast food restaurants, manufacturing are already looking for a surge of automation. White collar jobs too.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    The best way for getting herd immunity is first to get the vaccine, then second get exposed to it in your nose so that the IgG plasma cells in the armpit lymph nodes migrate to your nose. Downside being that 2nd step half of that process takes 3-10 days, so until then you're basically an asymptomatic spreader. After both steps have taken place, though, your nose and throat will have enough COVID neutralizing IgA to block transmission. So post vaccination there may be 1-2 months of silent spread which would not be good for those without the vaccine yet.
    No. Please don't do this. Just get the vaccine.

Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    "Robots" don't get sick. The whole COVID drama will encourage a variety of industries to automate more and faster = lots less jobs. Add a push for raising minimum wage, higher taxes, etc. = lots less jobs. Meat processing plants, fast food restaurants, manufacturing are already looking for a surge of automation. White collar jobs too.
    Actually COVID made me hate robots. Automation requires fewer, more skilled people. If I have a manual process that 10 people are trained to do and I lose two to quarantine, I’ll muddle through. If I have a robot that two people are trained to run and I lose one, I am fucked.
    Last edited by JAD; 12-02-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    No. Please don't do this. Just get the vaccine.
    My concern was whether it's safe to hang out with people who were recently vaccinated vaccine prior to getting it yourself, especially since I assume it may be a while before all of us are able to get access to the vaccine. Or if I get it to be careful for a while around those that haven't yet. Sounds like pangloss said it's not quite right what the guy wrote, so that's promising.
    Last edited by scw2; 12-02-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Actually COVID made me hate robots. Automation requires fewer, more skilled people. If I have a manual process that 10 people are trained to do and I lose two to quarantine, I’ll muddle through. If I have a robot that two people are trained to run and I lose one, I am fucked.
    Probably the worst part, where I work, is if you have some process that maybe one dude in the whole place is the wizard at fixing said robot, nobody else knows how to fix it when it breaks, and the wizard gets quarantined because their spouse tested positive. That shit is no fun.

True story: back a while ago one of our technicians tested positive. On his contact list he listed every single member of the engineering team except me. So every single soul got quarantined but me. I was busier than a cat covering up shit for two weeks and I was/am new to this part of the plant. Not fun. The best parts were that none of the quarantined people ever developed any symptoms, and the job that the technician was doing that day that caused him to name everyone but me, I was there too. He forgot to list me when he was naming names because the list was so damn long. By the standard that was applied, I should have been working from home too.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    My concern was whether it's safe to hang out with people who were recently vaccinated vaccine prior to getting it yourself, especially since I assume it may be a while before all of us are able to get access to the vaccine. Or if I get it to be careful for a while around those that haven't yet. Sounds like pangloss said it's not quite right what the guy wrote, so that's promising.
    The vaccine doesn't include any functional virus, so there is no risk that the vaccine will cause infectious COVID-19.

My kid sister the doctor is working nights in the ICU. She's not sure if they will run out of physical bed space first, or nurses to staff them, but it's coming soon. She's dealing with family members who are demanding they tell her what's REALLY wrong with their dying family member because COVID is a hoax.

Meanwhile, my 66 year old mother is still working as a nurse at a hospice facility that will be catching the overflow patients from my sister's ICU. Mom has a PICC because she's receiving IV antibiotics due to osteomyelitis caused by a botched dental implant. She should just stop working, but her facility is grossly understaffed. She figures if her dad could fight his way across the South Pacific in the 1940s, she can be in this one for the duration.

My mom used to really worry about me when I was in the military. Now the tables are turned.

Meanwhile, my in-laws in Florida are out licking door knobs and breathing on strangers because freedom.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    My kid sister the doctor is working nights in the ICU. She's not sure if they will run out of physical bed space first, or nurses to staff them, but it's coming soon. She's dealing with family members who are demanding they tell her what's REALLY wrong with their dying family member because COVID is a hoax.
    It's amazing (but not surprising) how stupid some people are.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    It's amazing (but not surprising) how stupid some people are.
    I'm beginning to think it's a kind of mal-adaptive coping mechanism. "This is a scary existentialist threat and I don't have the scientific literacy to understand the conflicting information thrown at me, so I'm going to choose to believe it's a hoax."

It's the adult equivalent of hiding under the covers because then the monster in your closet can't find you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've just stopped talking about COVID with most of the people around here, because "it's a hoax" and "masks are for pussies." Meanwhile, my cousin is in the ICU going on week #2 on everything they can think of to treat her and my wife's cousin is back in the hospital for round #3 as a "long hauler."

I'm firmly convinced this comes down to personal involvement. People who don't know anyone who's had a BAD case think it's a hoax. People who are in medicine or know someone who's had a bad case think it's the apocalypse. The truth is clearly somewhere in the middle, but getting either extreme to understand or even consider the alternatives is fucking impossible. Like damn near every issue in this soon to be ex-country of ours. We're doomed, just a matter of time before we take on full "has been" status.

User Tag List