Page 716 of 725 FirstFirst ... 216616666706714715716717718 ... LastLast
Results 7,151 to 7,160 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    A month+ after Vax #2 and I just can't bring myself to go back to the gym. Definitely COVID block. It's about the only thing I've not resumed doing.
    My gym is currently mask-optional for customers. Required for employees. I suppose I just need to suck it up, plan a short workout and see how I feel about it.
    Is your gym doing anything in terms of distancing for the customers, sanitizing the equipment, Etc?

One of my jobs involves pulmonary rehab, which is essentially a gym, a medical gym. We are allowing patients to exercise but the equipment is now six feet apart, they are not allowed to switch between one piece of equipment and another during their session, and there are very strict sanitization protocols.

Edited;

Any we screen all patients before they can exercise.
    Last edited by ccmdfd; 04-15-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Site Supporter
    A month+ after Vax #2 and I just can't bring myself to go back to the gym. Definitely COVID block. It's about the only thing I've not resumed doing.
    My gym is currently mask-optional for customers. Required for employees. I suppose I just need to suck it up, plan a short workout and see how I feel about it.
    I just started going back to the gym as well after Vax 1 (Vax 2 is tomorrow). I just couldn't stand it any longer because I can only run/bike so much and I'm not disciplined enough to get a good workout at home (nor do I have space for any real equipment). My wife works at the same gym in the kid care area, so I have a pretty good idea how they sanitize things. They also put in a new air handling system that supposedly cleans the air better.

Technically you have to have a mask on while not actively working out, but most folks don't (and some have a mask on continuously). They're also supposed to be "socially distancing", but the place is so packed, it's virtually impossible. I go at 1pm, which before Covid, was dead. Not anymore. It wasn't this busy at 5pm pre-Covid.

I just lift weights so I'm in and out (Stronglifts 5x5, doesn't take long). I do my cardio outdoors (running or biking). Until I'm fully vaccinated, I'll only be going twice weekly, then I'll go back to my normal 3x week trips and start adding more lifts.

Tell ya what though, it feels great to lift again. I literally had an endorphin high after my first session (today was my 2nd week and 4th trip). I don't think I've lost as much as I expected. I definitely lost strength, but not too much considering I went a year without seeing the inside of a gym.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Is your gym doing anything in terms of distancing for the customers, sanitizing the equipment, Etc?

One of my jobs involves pulmonary rehab, which is essentially a gym, a medical gym. We are allowing patients to exercise but the equipment is now six feet apart, they are not allowed to switch between one piece of equipment and another during their session, and there are very strict sanitization protocols.

Edited;

Any we screen all patients before they can exercise.
    It's a pretty large facility and their email and website messaging indicates that they have rearranged equipment for social distancing. They didn't have a clear message on sanitizing but it sounds like they are paying attention to it. Will have to go see.

Going to screw up the courage, maybe tomorrow. Worst case I have a short visit, I suppose.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I suppose I just need to suck it up, plan a short workout and see how I feel about it.
    If you rationally want to go, but just feel twitchy about it, then I say go, see whether it works for you.

I stopped going to my public gym (cheap chain gym, lots of machines, cardio, and racks/barbells) end of last February. They've been reopened for a while with (by all reports, very lax) masking, and I recently got fully vaxxed. I've bought a barbell, and some, but not enough plates, 2 more kettlebells. The situation is less than ideal, mostly because of space constraints, I lack a rack and a bench. Still, for me, I'm just as happy to not go and deal with people who don't wipe down equipment, walk around me while I'm squatting heavy, can't replace dumbbells in the right spot, etc. If it was a local privately owned gym that was more specialized towards powerlifting or strongman, or even had some sort of community attached, I'd go back now that I'm vaccinated. But for a chain gym, without buddies there, I'll probably just try to cobble together some squat stands or sawhorses to use outside. I was front squatting, but a shoulder injury has dropped my clean too much.

If I had a real house and not a tiny city apartment, I would just buy a rack.

Just thoughts. I know for a lot of people actually going to the gym location is a buy-in that keeps them on schedule. I felt that way at first, and was slacking, but just pushed myself through it and am thankful I did.

Had Pfizer shot #2 today. Shot #1 was Mar 25.

I've been back at the gym since they reopened in June 15. Sign on gym door since Nov 23 reads "per governor's order mask required". Between June 15 and Nov 23 a mask was only required when entering, exiting and locker rooms.

I've never been overly concerned about contracting the Wuhan Wheezer. Constant fear of dying is no way to live.

Site Supporter

I almost never wear a mask(only wear it if I cannot get the service I need without it), do not socially distance, have been going to Mass without masks and without socially distancing maybe close to a year, have not had the vaccine, have been around Covid people, no idea if I have had it, been to the hospital, etc.

No issues for me, and I have lived life pretty well considering the lockdowns.

You have had the vaccine, why let this control you more than it already has?

Life is finite. Take precautions, wash your hands and enjoy life.

I know my take on this whole thing has been different from the mainstream. That doesn't make me right, but I have enjoyed life as much as the lockdowns would allow one to do.

I've been going to the CrossFit gym since last September. 2-5 days per week, depending on work/travel/home life.

Classes have been 3-15 people in ~1500 square feet. No masks and there are only 8 racks, so we've had to double up and share racks/bars a few times in addition to bikes and rowers.

So far I'm not dead and haven't contracted Covid that I'm aware of. I'm not aware of any transmission that has occurred at the gym.

@RoyGBiv

If you're fully vaccinated, I see no reason to not go to the gym unless you're especially at-risk....which if such is the case, it seems prudent to wait until your area reaches the golden number for vaccinations (70%, is it?).
    Last edited by TGS; 04-15-2021 at 10:49 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    The problem with the anecdotal approach is that it didn't work for 550K+ people who are now dead.

A majority of people who get COVID will be fine, and many will be asymptomatic. Most young people are fine. Life does need to continue as normal in some sense of that word.

It's still a roll of the dice. It's really silly to pretend that it is not.

How many people drive drunk every day and get home just fine? I'm going to bet that it's a majority, especially if we define drunk as above the legal limit. Does that make it the world's very best idea? No. It does not. Personal anecdotes about hitting PRs for doorknob licking during the COVID pandemic are great, and also utterly meaningless.

There's a great story at the beginning of the movie La Haine that goes something like this:

A man jumps off the roof of a 40 story building. As he is falling, he passes the 27th floor, then the 26th, then the 25th. Each floor he passes, he says to himself, "So far, so good.... so far, so good... so far, so good..."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @RoyGBiv

If you're fully vaccinated, I see no reason to not go to the gym unless you're especially at-risk....which if such is the case, it seems prudent to wait until your area reaches the golden number for vaccinations (70%, is it?).
    I 100% agree. It's just a mental block fixated on the gym. Restaurants and the movies, no problem.

Just going to have to face it down.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List