Page 240 of 725 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290340 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

If you're a contractor, you're not an employee of the federal agency anyway. You're a contractor.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    My wife is an OR nurse at a small surgical center, and that's basically what she was hearing through the grapevine. All the major hospital systems here seem to agree that cancelling elective procedures is a good idea, but no one seems to agree what actually constitutes "elective" under these circumstances.
    I'm an OR nurse, and my hospital is currently one of the only ones that hasn't instituted it's own postponement of elective surgeries of some level. They're leaving it to the discretion of providers. Which doesn't surprise me cuz my hospital system is a complete piece of shit that puts money ahead of everything, including patient and staff well-being. Among the other concerns shared on here, another I'm thinking about is the supply chain. For every elective case we do, there are a number of gloves, anesthesia supplies, whatever other operating supplies, and also a huge concern right now, SANITATION wipes. Can't help wondering how strong the supply chain of cleaning supplies to the hospitals is going to be. I would ASSUME that hospitals will be the priority recipient of them, but still seems we should be conserving as much as possible.

As others have already said, there are varying levels of "elective". Clearly someone wanting a knee replacement due to arthritis, or an uncomfortable bunion can wait a couple months. But things like a bladder tumor biopsy or a breast lump biopsy, although you wouldn't call in a team at 2am to do them, still need them done as the earlier diagnosis of cancer the better.

Student
    Glad to see none of my training for this year has been cancelled so far.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I'm an OR nurse, and my hospital is currently one of the only ones that hasn't instituted it's own postponement of elective surgeries of some level. They're leaving it to the discretion of providers. Which doesn't surprise me cuz my hospital system is a complete piece of shit that puts money ahead of everything, including patient and staff well-being. Among the other concerns shared on here, another I'm thinking about is the supply chain. For every elective case we do, there are a number of gloves, anesthesia supplies, whatever other operating supplies, and also a huge concern right now, SANITATION wipes. Can't help wondering how strong the supply chain of cleaning supplies to the hospitals is going to be. I would ASSUME that hospitals will be the priority recipient of them, but still seems we should be conserving as much as possible.

As others have already said, there are varying levels of "elective". Clearly someone wanting a knee replacement due to arthritis, or an uncomfortable bunion can wait a couple months. But things like a bladder tumor biopsy or a breast lump biopsy, although you wouldn't call in a team at 2am to do them, still need them done as the earlier diagnosis of cancer the better.
    I have a few friends in the PP world on the anesthesia side and they are amazed at all the elective cases still going on the table. Lots of diabetic feet, hip revisions, etc etc. Friend who is uro resident at UCLA says they still have 3-4 tpxs on the board for today too. Seems like surgeons trying to bale hay while the sun is still shining, so to speak. Tpx I can see an argument for but they gotta d/c them from the hospital asap.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    There's some jackass who's been running his crotch rocket up and down the main road past our development at like 100 MPH since yesterday AM.

It's raining now, so hopefully he tries again. I can siphon the gas from the wreck.

Seriously, if he comes out again, I'll reach out to my friends who're local and I'm sure SOMEONE will stop his nonsense.
    If cops won't respond to stop this dickhead, and someone does stop this dickhead, will the cops respond then?

Who knows, there could be a small oil spill on your street...………...

Quote Originally Posted by CG12 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, however the specific guidance for supervisors reads, "An infected employee’s privacy should be protected to the greatest extent possible; therefore, his or her identity should not be disclosed. In an outbreak of quarantinable communicable disease or COVID-19, management should share only that information determined to be necessary to protect the health of the employees in the workplace but maintain confidentiality as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)."

Granted, that is just guidance at the agency level, but it actually states that infect people's identities (not just people who have been tested) should be kept confidential. I'm just wondering if, at face value, it appears I should consult counsel.
    Best to say nothing, or at most "I think I have a flu" and leave it at that

It is pleasing to report that, at least in my neck of the woods, things seem to be calming down considerably. Went to the local grocery, there is once again bread on the shelves (not a lot, but some) and most items except for toilet paper are available to some degree. The grocery store is very quiet, very few people shopping and very few overloaded grocery carts in evidence. I'm hopeful that folks have reached a level of saturation and that this pause will allow inventories at the local grocery store to rebound so that no one gets the perception that things are in short supply again resulting in another run on all commodities.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have a few friends in the PP world on the anesthesia side and they are amazed at all the elective cases still going on the table. Lots of diabetic feet, hip revisions, etc etc. Friend who is uro resident at UCLA says they still have 3-4 tpxs on the board for today too. Seems like surgeons trying to bale hay while the sun is still shining, so to speak. Tpx I can see an argument for but they gotta d/c them from the hospital asap.
    That's the situation at my facility currently. Situation normal.....

cc

First death in Illinois, sadly that's right here a mile from me in the hospital - https://abc7chicago.com/health/chica...death/6023928/

Worse, apparently we have an outbreak occurring in a DuPage County (county adjacent to Chicago's Cook County) nursing home, with 18 people already confirmed. It's gonna get worse here in real short order.

We also have our first confirmed case among the general population of the university. Not good news for any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Can any of the Doc's here comment on this?
    Not a doc, but the research I've read indicates avigan rapidly loses effectiveness if not administered early on. It took 4 hours to get a test result back in China, but it can take 4 days in the West...

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/20...rus-says-china

User Tag List