Page 216 of 725 FirstFirst ... 116166206214215216217218226266316716 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,160 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cybe...PQ181ZRO2BL3fM

Cyberattack on HHS meant to slow coronavirus response, sources say
    The attack happened Sunday night, sources said.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    So, I'm pretty worried about both testing strategy and about how to make good decisions without testing.

Right now, someone who lives with me is in a hot-zone state for while and has come down with one of the worst flus they've ever had. Symptoms are more or less consistent with Covid-19, and they've been on domestic travel to places filled with large numbers of people from multiple countries.

But they're young and otherwise healthy, and have no shortness of breath, so Doctor recommends no ER visit (fine). And although they've traveled to places that sound ideal to transfer Covid-19, they have no close-contact with other known cases. So, no test, I guess?

How do you even react to that?

Right now, they're isolating themselves as if they have the virus, but without really knowing what's going on, at some point symptoms will subside (one hopes) and we're going to have to make a decision that they can travel again. How does one make that call? How does one judge when close-contact is safe again, especially with no actual testing?
    I suspect the “testing strategy” (generous term) is driven by the extremely limited testing capacity.
    It’s about as disturbing as “health care rationing”, but I guess someone needs to set guidelines on who gets priority for testing.
    But I hear you - testing people like you’re describing is pretty essential to helping contain the spread of the virus.
    I guess we’ll have to wait for testing capacity to ramp up before that will be put into practice.

Ideally, health care workers, first responders, TSA screeners, - essentially anyone who has contact with large numbers of potentially infected people - should be tested periodically, if only to keep them from acting as vectors in the time between infection and becoming actively sick.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

No surprise there, I can give you four nations that probably did it: N.Korea, China, Iran, or Russia. My bet would be China.

Hammertime
    In the midst of all this uncertainty. Go outside. Take a breath and look around.

https://medium.com/@ra.hobday/corona...c-509151dc8065

HT Greg Ellifritz for the article.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I suspect the “testing strategy” (generous term) is driven by the extremely limited testing capacity.
    It’s about as disturbing as “health care rationing”, but I guess someone needs to set guidelines on who gets priority for testing.
    But I hear you - testing people like you’re describing is pretty essential to helping contain the spread of the virus.
    I guess we’ll have to wait for testing capacity to ramp up before that will be put into practice.

Ideally, health care workers, first responders, TSA screeners, - essentially anyone who has contact with large numbers of potentially infected people - should be tested periodically, if only to keep them from acting as vectors in the time between infection and becoming actively sick.
    Here in CO the graduate school at AMC just sent me an email this AM asking for volunteers from our PhD program to help with running testing. They also said they are critically short on a number of important testing reagents and are asking labs to donate these reagents if they have them.

We're definitely way behind locally.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    another friend of mine had a woman and male knock loudy and check doors/ windows. They have to german shepherds and they think that eventually scared them away. Buddy said both had one of their hands concealed in a hoody. I'm not trying to be that guy but I have "upgraded" my defensive posture with pre-staging my gun belt with loaded mags next to my bed.
    I don't think anyone here would raise so much as an eyebrow to someone upping their home and personal defense posture a notch or three.

I normally don't keep a long gun readily available. I live in a very, very low crime area during normal times. But something tells me we're approaching abnormality where people will get bolder out of either a sense of opportunity or desperation.

So from tonight on, a loaded rifle will be within easy reach until this shit settles back down.

Site Supporter
    I’m glad to see that the CO Dept of Public Health is starting to think out of the box re: increasing testing capacity.

Also- great opportunity to contribute for many who might otherwise be underutilized.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Not that I promote revenge and retaliation, but we should find these fuckers and kill them in their sleep.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Updates here:

Wife is on telework and approved for telework for the next 60-days.

Lab and museum are on lock down until, at least, Mar 24.

University isn't officially locked down, yet, but we just received notice that the Spring Quarter will be further delayed for one week. And of course, it is all digital.

University-wide travel ban in effect until April 15.

The delays and closures are putting a damper on my dissertation, because I needed some specimens here to process. But hey, I'm not going to ask anyone to expose themselves to send me some dead animals. The animals are already dead, they aren't going anywhere.

But the good news is, I got the last of my samples for one diss. chapter in on Friday and the lab will run them this week. So, I'll have plenty of time to write this chapter and finish it up.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Not that I promote revenge and retaliation, but we should find these fuckers and burn them in their sleep.
    FIFY.

User Tag List