Page 3 of 725 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Just going to post this again:

Wikipedia on SARS:

Influenza-associated mortality in the US (per CDC, emphasis mine):

I don't have great comparative data re:mortality rate in flu positive patients, but roughly speaking, pneumonia and influenza account for ~7% of all deaths in the United States per year.
    You just had to piss facts into somebody's panic punch bowl, didn't you?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Better late than never...

Chinese started traveling for the holiday a week ago.

Population of Wuhan is >11 million.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl0rGYNXZ1Q
    This might be a good time for people to read https://markmanson.net/why-you-shoul...-quit-the-news
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    This might be a good time for people to read https://markmanson.net/why-you-shoul...-quit-the-news
    Probably shouldn't google Spanish Flu...

Coronaviruses are a large grouping of viruses which can range from lethal to mild (like a common cold).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/about/symptoms.html

We should refer to the specific 2019-nCoV from Wuhan instead of just saying Coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    @Nephrology

Why do these outbreaks happen in China all the time, I know they're dirty and it's highly crowded but they seem to have more of these dangerous new flus than India or Indonesia, also dirty and crowded.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    It comes down to animal husbandry.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Live animal markets full of all sorts of strange wild animals.
    Correct. It probably has more to do with the concentration of livestock and non-livestock food sources than anything. IIRC SARS and MERS were both originally restricted to non-human reservoirs (civet cats and camels, respectively) and made the jump to humans, where it adapted to be able to live and replicate inside human hosts. This same general pattern of transmission is also how HIV made the jump to humans.

Doesn't really per se have anything to do with the Chinese being "dirty," but lots of livestock + human contact with said livestock will give you enough rolls of the dice that eventually jumping from animals to humans is bound to happen.

FWIW, some of the earliest swine flu outbreaks started here in the US. It's definitely not something unique to China.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You just had to piss facts into somebody's panic punch bowl, didn't you?
    Lol, I've been accused of this more than once in my life
    Last edited by Nephrology; 01-23-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Probably shouldn't google Spanish Flu...
    @Nephrology already addressed that up thread.

Read "Spillover", by David Quammen. It's about zoonotic diseases which spill over from animal reservoirs into human populations. He has an excellent section on how and why so many of these events start in China. He also does a great job of showing how the initially obvious source of an outbreak often turns out to be a false lead.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    @Nephrology

Why do these outbreaks happen in China all the time, I know they're dirty and it's highly crowded but they seem to have more of these dangerous new flus than India or Indonesia, also dirty and crowded.
    Obviously Nephrology might have a better answer, but I would be concerned about reporting/sampling/documentation as a factor when talking about India in particular.

India is very unique. It's hard to describe how broken that country/culture is compared to the rest of the world (including other impoverished nations [shitholes] lacking public health/sanitation), but hundreds of people will die at a time in India from various tragedies and it won't even break the news. Just life as normal.

I'd be surprised if there were not all kinds of outbreaks that kill scores of people in India. We just don't hear about it, because nobody in India gives a shit about death, including mass deaths. Your child gets electrocuted by live, exposed wiring in your property? 140 people burn to death while collecting gas in buckets from a spilled gas tanker when it finally gets lit? Natural disaster? Collapsing infrastructure? It's just death, it happens, life goes on, whereas in almost any other country there would be some sort of genuine concern whether it was based on scientific concern, humanitarian grounds, or purely economics (ex: "we can't have our cheap labor being killed off"). In India, nobody (including the descendants family) will fix the wiring, nobody makes regulatory improvements about traffic/vehicle safety or transporting HAZMAT or makes some sort of financial impact on those who fail to act in good faith (Boeings punishment via the public and whos buying what plane is far more severe than the FAA could be), and nobody will address public planning to deal with the landslides, or sanitation infrastructure to deal with an outbreak killing people because you routinely mix poop with your water source....shit, you don't even know how many people die per year because of poopy water because you don't even care enough to research/measure/report it.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-23-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liv...in-snakes.html

2019-nCoV may have been transmitted from snakes which were sold at the seafood market.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.liv...in-snakes.html

2019-nCoV may have been transmitted from snakes which were sold at the seafood market.

That report is from a Chinese group and rather speculative (based on analysis genomic sequence and codon usage and not on experiments like, say, checking to see if the virus can infect snakes). Offhand, I can't think of any viruses that can infect warm-blooded AND cold-blooded animals. Relatively small changes in temperature, like fever for example, can have big in vivo effects.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

User Tag List