Page 512 of 725 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522562612 ... LastLast
Results 5,111 to 5,120 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...irus-outbreaks

Look at this graph of daily cases. Note that in just about every hard hit country like SPain, France, Italy, etc., new daily cases are plummeting. Note the very sharp dropoffs. With the plummeting daily new cases includes rapidly decreasing amounts of hospitalizations and deaths.

The US on the other hand, is maintaining a steady 20k new cases per day. Whatever appearances of a slightly declining plateau is primarily caused by major declines in cases from NJ/NY/CT/MA/ (states that were hit hard early). In so many states in the midwest and south, the situation is most definitely getting worse. Alabama, for example, is in a bad spot

Montgomery AL ICU beds all full, ER handling overflow
    https://www.wsfa.com/2020/05/26/doct...icu-beds-fill/

major hospital at 200% of normal capacity
    https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/86199...t-crisis-level
    Last edited by shootist26; 05-27-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Look at this graph of daily cases. Note that in just about every hard hit country like SPain, France, Italy, etc., new daily cases are plummeting. Note the very sharp dropoffs. With the plummeting daily new cases includes rapidly decreasing amounts of hospitalizations and deaths.

The US on the other hand, is maintaining a steady 20k new cases per day. Whatever appearances of a slightly declining plateau is primarily caused by major declines in cases from NJ/NY/CT/MA/ (states that were hit hard early). In so many states in the midwest and south, the situation is most definitely getting worse. Alabama, for example, is in a bad spot
    "It's just the flu."

Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks packed, prompting coronavirus travel advisory
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    By the way.... I would be 100% ok with this behavior IF those folks were at the back of the line for hospital care and medical professionals could opt out of treating them.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    By the way.... I would be 100% ok with this behavior IF those folks were at the back of the line for hospital care and medical professionals could opt out of treating them.
    Me too.
    Unfortunately, the people who wind up in the hospital with be the ones that those irresponsible party-goers infect - their parents, grandparents, and the unlucky older person that they breathe on in the 7-11 next week.

Maybe He Was On To Something...

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Me too.
    Unfortunately, the people who wind up in the hospital with be the ones that those irresponsible party-goers infect - their parents, grandparents, and the unlucky older person that they breathe on in the 7-11 next week.

"No treatment for you, two weeks!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"No treatment for you, two weeks!"
    If you could apply those rules to medicine, the job satisfaction scores for the entire industry would take off like a rocket!

Well, looks like we have the ideal test case what happens when a leader is very successful in pushing the "no biggie, chloroquine will stop anything bad" narrative and gets many people to buy it:

https://apnews.com/54423b73d8be5fbc2a491bcc60f10285

Also, of course, poverty is a killer.

If you ever needed proof that promoting gun rights has no necessary connection to good decision making, Jair is there for you. 😑
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Again, the use case there is giving it to the already very symptomatic.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Ok. You are confusing me with someone that either thinks they are an internet doctor or a rah rah everything that Trump says is right idolator. That's an easy mistake to make these days but you're wrong.
    There are ways to determine whether the narrative of the day is organic, attempting to look organic, or being pushed. I am highly suspicious of anything I see getting pushed. I want to know the reason it's getting pushed.
    This is getting pushed. Hard.
    I am not a doctor. I did, spent quite a bit of time prior to this stupid pandemic dealing with various types of Malaria Prophylaxis, since both my wife and I have been on them for a couple years, and we also had to put a newborn on them.

That said, I (imperfectly) used an analogy the other day about the use of chloroquine. Like any other argument by analogy, it is flawed, but there are a few parallels. Chloroquine is the Serpa holster of the covid treatments world. Initially appearing as something cheap, workable, and widely available; a lot of folks put a bunch of stock in it. When it has subsequently been shown to be neutral at best, and actively harmful at worst, it has developed increasing levels of opposition from more spun-up professionals, but it retains a loyal following of folks who don't see its flaws, are already emotionally bought in, or some other motive (they own stock in blackhawk for example). Even worse, it has the potential to suck the air/resources out of the room for better options that might be more effective.

This is all before we get to the political aspects of it, and desire for it to be a workable solution or not based on perceptions of our President and need for him to be right or wrong. - I suspect this might be the real reason this drug is so contentious.

I was honestly surprised to see so much love for chloroquine right off the bat, since my biggest issue with the malaria pills was staff who refused to take them because they did not want the unpleasant side effects. Many of them would point at studies about the short and long term health risks of chloroquine as reasons they should not take the damn things, when they had malarone and other options provided to them. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved a cheap and widely available drug to have been an effective solution, but prior to this crisis, this one had some pretty major PR problems.

Site Supporter
    Maybe @Nephrology or @YVK or will check my work here. My lay take on Hcl and a lot of the other drugs is that we’re just now getting statistically significant numbers on survivability in the US hospital environment so that the trials can really prove anything, and no pharmaceutical has really been proven to be effective yet. Even the “most effective” remdesivir trials involved a relatively small number of patients and only 30%-40% of patients showing improvement. As far as I have seen there have been no trials of any drugs on people being treated post positive test and pre-hospitalization (I’m not counting the One doctor in New York).

I will say that the media started the love affair with HCL by touting some unreviewed small scale trials out of China (and later France) when this thing kicked off claiming it was a possible treatment. Then the medical community spoke up and said “well, we really don’t know, but as of now we have no evidence it does anything.” Then the President started talking about it on the news and that gave the media something to bitch about and the whole thing has become a giant partisan clusterfuck, like most things in our country.

User Tag List