Page 567 of 725 FirstFirst ... 67467517557565566567568569577617667 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,670 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Pretty great time for a gap year in my opinion, though to be honest I struggle to think of how to make it productive.
    Driving for Uber Eats?

Volunteering in the Galapagos?

Tragic.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Driving for Uber Eats?

Volunteering in the Galapagos?

Tragic.
    Not sure the Galapagos is allowing American visitors at this time :P

There is always gig work. Never bad to start college with a bunch of cash savings.

The college thing has been a topic of considerable discussion in my circles, as one might imagine. The bottom lines: online instruction is no fun—for teachers and students. The reports are that the majority in both camps hated it. I know I did; I had to just put my head down and bull through it—mostly with good success, although I did have to write an entire audition ensemble course off. I’ve even heard about groups of students trying to sue to get tuition refunded, due to unhappiness over the situation.

A gap year—or at least a gap semester—sounds great... but what are you going to do? Backpack around Europe via rail pass? It’s a good time for piano majors to cram some standard lit on their own, or for creative writing majors to write that fantasy novel, collection of short stories, or belle lettres, but for many, just knocking off some gen req credits and gutting it out seems to be one of the least evils.

As to getting a “gig” job to save up for next year: good luck with that. The pro giggers are unemployed in droves. If dad and/or mom aren’t owners or major stakeholders in something that needs a part time phone staffer, that’s a tough prospect. Any situation that sees our higher ed system shuttered means living at home with mom and dad and little bro/sis and spending a lot of leisure time.

Site Supporter
    Ever since the extra 600 a month in unemployment has been offered we haven’t been able to find employees for shit in the landscaping business, and other manual labor positions in the area are experiencing the same difficulties. A semester working out in the heat and cold, getting dirty and tireed every day might provide motivation to do well when classes start again.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Another thing that’s been laid horrifyingly bare is just how much monetizing of students has actually been happening through the dorm/food service profit centers. The state U reports that 7 percent of the yearly operating budget comes from housing/dining profit. Without the last term’s skim, the U has been looking at laying off all the lecturer ranks, and many off the “secretary” level admin who actually do the daily work to run departments are already sacked—my department’s two office staffers both got pink slips, so that’s a dept with 160+ majors with no secretary or admin help at all right now.

Here are our numbers - all of the sites are anonymized but should give you a sense of relative distribution in our academic system. University hospital is our biggest hospital/adult tertiary care center for what its worth.

Site Supporter
    1544/35116 = 4.4% CFR?

PUI?... Posting Under the Influence? BTDT.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    1544/35116 = 4.4% CFR?

PUI?... Posting Under the Influence? BTDT.
    PUI = person/patient under investigation, i.e. suspected COVID without + test yet.

and yes, that CFR is accurate for our system's inpatients. It doesn't include everyone who was healthy enough to stay out of the hospital, which would be a number sort of impossible to calculate in this context.

Site Supporter
    PUI = person/patient under investigation, i.e. suspected COVID without + test yet.

and yes, that CFR is accurate for our system's inpatients. It doesn't include everyone who was healthy enough to stay out of the hospital, which would be a number sort of impossible to calculate in this context.
    HFR of >25% is pretty dismal. Downright frightening, honestly.

I'm reading those stats a bit differently, incorrectly I guess..
    Is "People tested" just the number tested at your hospitals? That would explain my misunderstanding.

Site Supporter

Are you sure? The 4.4% CFR comes from the 35,116 and it says that is total positive cases. My reading of it is that the HFR is 26.5% (1544/5820). Am I missing something?

User Tag List