Page 719 of 725 FirstFirst ... 219619669709717718719720721 ... LastLast
Results 7,181 to 7,190 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Medicine or policing... I'll put it here.

Seen on The High Road discussion of vaccination:
    "We could have signed up for the Pfizer shot, but our other med facility doing covid shots is in downtown GR (Grand Rapids) and they have been having problems with "peaceful demonstrators" assaulting people and doing some damage so we opted for Moderna out in the 'burbs."

Helluva note.
    Wow, I knew GR had taken a turn for the worse, didn't know it had reached that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    First or second shot? I had my first and felt ok. Second comes in a month.
    2nd shot.

She didn't feel very good after her first shot but not as bad as she did with her 2nd shot. My wife is normally extremely industrious, when she isn't working at her job (10-12 hrs/day), she is working from home (Sat & Sun) at her job or doing something around the house. She didn't get out of bed until lunch time and she didn't eat anything because she was too exhausted to fix anything. I came home right after she had gotten up (I went to give blood) and offered to make her something for lunch. She said she was "too tired to eat".

Later she told me that she had heard the term "fatigue" before and she had a new understanding of it. She said, if that was fatigue, she had only ever just been tired. She said standing for more than 10 min made her feel like she was going to pass out and just getting up to go to the bathroom was exhausting. This was on top of the muscle pain/bone pain/fever/chills. Significantly worse than when she actually had the virus.

She felt much better by late in the afternoon and Sunday she was back to normal.

My arm isn't even sore anymore.

Site Supporter
    India is in a bad way....

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1384695723929882624

ETA: https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2021/...ht-now-n384879

Three hundred thousand cases a day is a lot, needless to say, but the U.S. approached that number during its worst stretch of the winter and we have only a quarter the population that India does. If 300,000 were an accurate measure of what they’re facing right now, it wouldn’t be devastating. But the IHME estimates that the actual number of infections in India is around 29 times the number of confirmed cases, which, if true, would mean nearly seven million new cases. Each day. With each of those people capable of infecting multiple others.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    India is in a bad way....
    Absolutely.

We have a lot of ops in India, as well as other, non-operational functions. Those are being impacted to the point we are looking at implementing some contingency plans to temporarily move work to other locales for the duration. None of my team are there, but a number of people I interact with are there or have significant teams there.

It's every bit as bad as it looks.

Chris

In the first world the confirmed cases per day are very innaccurate but you can still estimate true numbers somehow...
    In some parts of the third world those numbers are just meaningless.
    Even the true numbers of severe cases, interned and dead due to COVID are doubful?

Interesting tidbit, at least to me. Spoke to a doctor recently who said she had seen zero cases of the flu this past season. She remarked that masks, social distancing, and washing hands are obviously working to curtail flu transmission. That also goes to show how much more contagious COVID is (my very unscientific observation).
    "Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells." Robert Ruark

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Interesting tidbit, at least to me. Spoke to a doctor recently who said she had seen zero cases of the flu this past season. She remarked that masks, social distancing, and washing hands are obviously working to curtail flu transmission. That also goes to show how much more contagious COVID is (my very unscientific observation).
    My entire hospital system didn't record a single case of influenza this year. The theory is the same.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    My entire hospital system didn't record a single case of influenza this year. The theory is the same.

I’ve heard this local to me as well. My question is was the flu even tested for? I have been told that in my area viral panels were hardly done if they were done at all due to the increased demand of Covid testing since it uses the same equipment and resources. I have no doubt that masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc reduced the spread of the flu but if it wasn’t tested for how do we know that it was non-existent?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    I’ve heard this local to me as well. My question is was the flu even tested for? I have been told that in my area viral panels were hardly done if they were done at all due to the increased demand of Covid testing since it uses the same equipment and resources. I have no doubt that masks, social distancing, hand washing, etc reduced the spread of the flu but if it wasn’t tested for how do we know that it was non-existent?
    Speaking from my own experience, we never NEEDED to test for flu, because all the cases of viral pneumonias would come back as COVID.

If you were the type of person for whom exposure to flu would make you sick, then for sure you were going to get COVID because it's just that much more infectious. It made land in the US long before the first recorded case of the pandemic and had been tearing up hospitals before that.

I remember at the beginning of the pandemic when we would get double lung pneumonia patients that were testing negative for flu, but showed severe hypoxemic respiratory failure refractory to oxygen.

I train with a lady who got COVID before the first case made land in our state. And we were one of the first states in the US to have a positive case. She even had a Facebook post saying how badly this year's (2020) "flu" sucked because she couldn't taste or smell anything and she was very short or breath. This post was before Illinois' first recorded case and she tested positive for antibodies later on that year.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Speaking from my own experience, we never NEEDED to test for flu, because all the cases of viral pneumonias would come back as COVID.

If you were the type of person for whom exposure to flu would make you sick, then for sure you were going to get COVID because it's just that much more infectious. It made land in the US long before the first recorded case of the pandemic and had been tearing up hospitals before that.

I remember at the beginning of the pandemic when we would get double lung pneumonia patients that were testing negative for flu, but showed severe hypoxemic respiratory failure refractory to oxygen.

I train with a lady who got COVID before the first case made land in our state. And we were one of the first states in the US to have a positive case. She even had a Facebook post saying how badly this year's (2020) "flu" sucked because she couldn't taste or smell anything and she was very short or breath. This post was before Illinois' first recorded case and she tested positive for antibodies later on that year.

I agree that Covid was here before we knew it and and that some of the cases we thought were the flu late 2019 and early 2020 were indeed Covid. I understand the theory behind if someone has the flu they likely already have Covid. My point, while it may be pedantic, is that the presence of Covid does not equal the non-existence of the flu. I think the flu has definitely been far less prevalent this past year, but I find it hard to believe that it is non-existent.

User Tag List