Page 32 of 725 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132532 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Our guys next trip to Japan for pretty substantive meetings has been indefinitely deferred by the big company we are working for who has a large branch in Japan intending a future implementation. "This will not be over quickly, you will not enjoy it."
    Ditto.

We have systems deployed near Tokyo.

Discussion is ongoing as regards how / whether we are sending folks or not.

Wow... everybody is thinking now "is that trip really necessary"

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Active cases, not only resolved. At early stages the mortality rate can be very deceiving, see wasserpistole post and:

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...us-death-rate/

The important thing to take into account is that this virus has the potential to overwhelm any medical infraestructure by the sheer number of patiens that require hospital care (18-20%), and more so in third world countries.

The numbers we see outside China (excepting perhaps Iran) are much more trustworthy than those statistics coming from China. Those patients are getting all the attention and the best treatment available, better than they would get in an epidemic, and still the death rate is significantly higher than the 0.16% reported in China outside Hubei province.

Even the patients from the Diamond Princess that have been getting excellent treatment in Japan for quite some time now are hitting a 0.57% death rate so far, with an additional 5% in critical condition.
    That same worldometer page cautions against using deaths/total cases to determine mortality rate. It recommends using deaths/(recoveries + deaths). That specific page is where I pulled the 13.3% number (now 14.1%).

Hopefully a little luck for the world will manifest and this thing will turn out to be seasonal as a few have hypothesized as a possibility (I surmise based on flu season comparisons and the warm weather behavior changes - I certainly haven't seen any data to support that). I have no idea how (un)likely that is to be especially with the long period of asymptomatic contagion. With spring around the corner we'll know soon enough.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

My biggest worry right now is how badly the markets are tanking. I hope the panic doesn’t lead to a recession.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Has it hit DC yet?
    Keep that shit outta my AO...

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    My biggest worry right now is how badly the markets are tanking. I hope the panic doesn’t lead to a recession.
    Yup, down another 335 points and dropping, as I type this...looks like the world supply chain is imploding, from what I’ve been reading workers in China are refusing to go back to work for fear of getting infected or possibly reinfected.. Not to mention there are still huge areas that are still under quarantine..This is a good lesson for all those corporations who put all their eggs in the cheap China labor basket... I figure we’re going to see a long overdue correction here on Wall Street...

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    You're young, Dan. Ride it out. Keep on buying on your schedule and you'll be happy you did when it comes time to hand in your paperwork. I've been through more than a few "interesting" rides since the mid 80's and have stuck to my plan throughout.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Our guys next trip to Japan for pretty substantive meetings has been indefinitely deferred by the big company we are working for who has a large branch in Japan intending a future implementation. "This will not be over quickly, you will not enjoy it."
    300 ?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List