Page 591 of 725 FirstFirst ... 91491541581589590591592593601641691 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,910 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Possible new treatment/preventative measure for COVID-19.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...PFXMTVHEBH7BA/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does that go for your parents and grandparents, if they are still alive? Or if they were?
    Yes, because they would say the same thing. Life is not all about us, but also what does the most good.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Curious what our resident scientists think about the Yan report.

https://zenodo.org/record/4028830

Seems convincing on the surface, but of course everyone has an angle, especially those from Hong Kong.
    It really wouldn’t surprise me that these people were/are telling the truth. China is not our friend. The sooner people in this country realize that, the better off we’ll be..

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Does that go for your parents and grandparents, if they are still alive? Or if they were?
    I'm sure this varies from person to person but my parents are approaching 80 and my mom is short a kidney...neither one of them has much interest in lockdowns or social distancing, and will wear masks only if forced. They're both just shrugging it off and saying they aren't spending whatever time they have left in fear. My last surviving grandmother died a few months back and definitely wouldn't have given a flying fuck about any of this. She was mentally sharp to her last day but as far as she was concerned, once she hit triple digits she was on borrowed time no matter what. I mention her partly just to illustrate that my family is genetically predisposed to longevity (this happens to be true on both sides...anyone who didn't end up a POW somewhere or crushed in a mine collapse went past 90 and many of the women get around a hundred years) so my parents are vulnerable, but unlike most people their age, stand to lose ten or fifteen years if they get a bad case of this. Even so, they just aren't willing to let it impact their lives much.

Personally I'm finding this attitude fairly common in the elderly I have contact with but obviously I don't know how representative that sample is. Not that it lets anyone else make the decision for them, per se, but this is why I don't find the "save the grandparents" position especially persuasive. All the old people I know are perfectly happy to roll the dice.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    One thing I have never understood about our response to COVID-19 is why we did not provide a way for those with vulnerabilities to isolate themselves while letting everyone make their own decision about whether they need to be isolated.

If someone is immune-compromised, help them get set up to work from home if possible, or instead of shutting down the whole economy and trying to replace it with a government payout, keep the economy going and limit the payouts to the vulnerable who really would be risking their lives by working. Make sure they have a way to get their groceries, medications, and whatever else they might need. such as a paid employee of a private business, social worker, or a volunteer picking it up at the store and dropping it off on their porch. Perhaps arrange for a government agency, private social services agency, or church to collect the information about those who need help and those willing to help, and then match them up.

We have seen big box stores that will have an employee put together the items on your shopping list and bring it to your car, and small business owners delivering purchases to their customers. These presently-existing pieces can be part of the puzzle.

Instead of the stupid knee-jerk reaction of shutting everything down, consider all of the tools that a functioning economy can provide to isolate and protect those who really need and/or want to be protected.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Curious what our resident scientists think about the Yan report.

https://zenodo.org/record/4028830

Seems convincing on the surface, but of course everyone has an angle, especially those from Hong Kong.
    I'll look at this tomorrow. Skimmed a news report this morning, and right now I'm still firmly in the camp that it's a natural virus that emerged from an animal host. As much scrutiny as this virus has received in the past few months, I tend to think that if it were an engineered virus, we would have known before now. A lot of science is ego driven, and I'm sure a lot of people have approached this virus with this question mind. Anyway, I need to look at the actual article...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I'll look at this tomorrow. Skimmed a news report this morning, and right now I'm still firmly in the camp that it's a natural virus that emerged from an animal host. As much scrutiny as this virus has received in the past few months, I tend to think that if it were an engineered virus, we would have known before now. A lot of science is ego driven, and I'm sure a lot of people have approached this virus with this question mind. Anyway, I need to look at the actual article...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Thanks, it seems the crux of their argument is that the virus is genetically most similar with 2 bat corona viruses that were known to be in chinese military labs and they contend that the cleavage site in the current virus is unlikely in nature and could be engineered, whereas it seems everyone else is on the natural selection train.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Healthcare resource availability, not deaths, should drive physical distancing. If your hospitals are running out of beds, it’s a good sign that it’s time to start clamping down.
    Yeah, I'm with you.

One thing I have never understood about our response to COVID-19 is why we did not provide a way for those with vulnerabilities to isolate themselves while letting everyone make their own decision about whether they need to be isolated.
    I think that's been proven to be nonproductive in combating covid. A large segment of the population won't self isolate even if they know they have the virus. It isn't any different than people who believe they're so important to an organization that they will come to work when they're sick. Some people are just too stupid to figure it out.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-16-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post

If someone is immune-compromised, help them get set up to work from home if possible, or instead of shutting down the whole economy and trying to replace it with a government payout, keep the economy going and limit the payouts to the vulnerable who really would be risking their lives by working. Make sure they have a way to get their groceries, medications, and whatever else they might need. such as a paid employee of a private business, social worker, or a volunteer picking it up at the store and dropping it off on their porch. Perhaps arrange for a government agency, private social services agency, or church to collect the information about those who need help and those willing to help, and then match them up.

We have seen big box stores that will have an employee put together the items on your shopping list and bring it to your car, and small business owners delivering purchases to their customers. These presently-existing pieces can be part of the puzzle.

Instead of the stupid knee-jerk reaction of shutting everything down, consider all of the tools that a functioning economy can provide to isolate and protect those who really need and/or want to be protected.
    I agree that we should have better support structure for both identifying and helping vulnerable populations.

That aside, are we still in the knee-jerking shutdown phase? I ask because in my state and city, it's pretty close to business as usual for many industries. Restaurants have more restrictions, there's mandatory mask wearing, sporting events are limited, and work patterns are different, but it's a lot different than the initial weeks of shutdown where almost everything was closed and I drove to work in zero traffic. I understand all kinds of locales have dealt with it in different ways, and even people that live the same place I do are feeling it in different ways. I'm not going to pretend my experience or what I see is indicative.

In my mind, the "knee jerk shutdown phase" wasn't even a horrible idea, even if it isn't a long-term solution. There was so much we didn't know, and we had the examples of Italy where beds were full and people were being triaged. The initial shutdown bought time for medical professionals to figure out best practices. In a military campaign,, retreat is a bad strategy, but sometimes you have to do it to buy time. Just an opinion, we can't know for sure how things would have played out.

User Tag List