Page 359 of 725 FirstFirst ... 259309349357358359360361369409459 ... LastLast
Results 3,581 to 3,590 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Respectfully, I don't think it is quite the same when you're comparing about a month versus a few hours.
    That's a very fair point, and I admit my analogy is very imperfect. In some ways we're actually saying something similar (and you say it very well), but my phrasing may have failed to convey that. A year of influenza deaths is hard to compare in its magnitude to a month of COVID-19, which in turn is hard to compare to the immensity of a single day on 9/11. My thinking is just that as intensity of a threat increases and the time scale over which it manifests itself shortens, the intersection of those two factors is a large part of how seriously and immediately the threat should be viewed.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I'm having an email conversation with WV's Health and Human Resources program manager about the hospitals in Huntington banning staff from wearing their own privately sourced masks due to it "looking scary". I'll keep you updated.

I do know that one of our current Covid cases is an endocrinology resident who was exposed to a now deceased patient with no PPE.
    Yes. Please do let me know what you find out. Thank you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    This pandemic is burning through our first responders and medical staff. When it's over, I suspect that PTSD is going to be rampant and that the medical community, in particular, will see a lot of people move off into other lines of work.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    And would reduce the shedding from infected people coughing into a mas instead of into the air and onto surfaces.

IMO, the whole "you don't need a mask" is a BS ploy to make people feel better that masks are nearly unobtainum. YMMV.
    I assumed it was due to trying to save PPE for frontline health workers, but after giving the "experts" the benefit of the doubt the whole time and them being wrong every time, I'm just assuming as a country we're going to learn through experience instead of copying what many in asia have already learned in SARS.

A related graphic I saw for mask usage
    Name:  mask.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  48.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Respectfully, I don't think it is quite the same when you're comparing about a month versus a few hours.
    I'm not seeing how a body count that happens in one day and one that happens in 30 days matters much. Nor do I see any particular age group or race making a difference.

Not "quite the same" being a period of time is in relation to what exactly? If you die on the first day or the 30th day what does it matter?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Student
    Stay-in-place order issued for Arizona to be in effect tomorrow.

https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news...stay-connected
    https://azgovernor.gov/governor/news...ntial-services

From my reading of the above links, I'm not seeing any changes to where I already go:

- Day Job
    - Night Job (though they are rolling out essential employee badges and letters in case anyone wants to play 'Papers Please')
    - Groceries (the Mekong shopping plaza in Mesa has a lot less people than any given Fry's, that's for sure)
    - Range

Training classes are pretty much off the table from now until midsummer, but I'm saving my pennies anyway for Mr. Given's Preparatory Seminar for the Development of Hand-gonne Tutors (Current and Aspiring) in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    You know, being born in 62 really sucks - everyone hates us.
    Weighs so heavy on my ❤️ 🙄
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Gen X here. I have nothing but respect for boomers, well all of them that aren't hippies.

The oldest millennial will be 62 in 2042. Boomers are going to bankrupt the SS system as we know it by 2035. For someone like me I will have collected SS for 26 years if I live to be 90. That isn't unusual because lots of people live to be 80 plus these days. My mom lived to 91 and I have a friend who is 94.

So yeah, we're a load on the system as it now exists. Boomer doomer is real if you think the fed is coming in to bail your ass out.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-30-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This pandemic is burning through our first responders and medical staff. When it's over, I suspect that PTSD is going to be rampant and that the medical community, in particular, will see a lot of people move off into other lines of work.
    And turn into raging alcoholics. The .gov has shut down almost all of our decompression activities so all that is left to do is drink. They just shut down my biggest by closing the boat ramps at the lakes I fish. They have shuttered 2 of the biggest state parks that are heavily used for mountain biking and hiking. They even closed the trailheads to the Appalachian trail. I don't know how the crossfitters are gonna make it without being able to instabook their work out.

User Tag List