Page 561 of 725 FirstFirst ... 61461511551559560561562563571611661 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,610 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Where can I see the current graph of COVID infected vs dead?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Where can I see the current graph of COVID infected vs dead?
    I haven’t seen that plotted as such. You can find plots of active cases and deaths here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Scroll down for the US national plots. Select a state for the plots for that state.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Weekend update.....

Both Florida and Texas reported their biggest daily rise in new confirmed cases over the past few days, with Florida reporting 11,443 new resident cases on Saturday and another 9,999 on Sunday. Texas reported a record 8,258 new cases on Saturday followed by 3,449 on Sunday. California reported 5,410 new cases on Sunday and Arizona reported 3,536 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday.

"I will tell you, a month ago one in 10 people were testing positive. Today, it's one in four," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told CBS. "The number of people who are getting sick and going to the hospitals has exponentially increased. The number of people in our ICU beds has exponentially increased. In fact, if we don't get our hands around this virus quickly, in about two weeks our hospital system could be in serious, serious trouble."

At least two counties in South Texas say they have hospitals already at full capacity.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/05/88744...d-case-numbers
    I thought they were sacrificing people on the altar of the economy?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Having just finished Matt Taibbi's (excellent) book Hate Inc, I definitely have a lot of new thoughts on the way COVID is being discussed in the mainstream media, and feel like I better understand the pathologies of each particular view of the virus/the public health response/etc....

One thing that I will note that is interesting: We breathlessly passed an earth-shattering emergency spending bill to ostensibly mitigate the economic fallout of this crisis. Americans are obviously still hurting very badly.

Where did that money go? How did we spend such a colossal amount of cash, only to feel the pain economically anyway? Why does nobody (FOX, CNN, etc) really seem to care?

Also, who is each side blaming for all of the very real problems caused by this virus? Why does it seem like there are an absence of voices owning up to failure, instead of trying to cast it as someone else's fault?

Why are we tearing each other apart at a time when we so desperately need each other's help?

These are a rhetorical questions .. feel free to arrive at your own conclusions... but I would definitely encourage anyone who is curious to consider taking a look at his book and listen to what he has to say about media coverage in 2020. Most of what he says won't exactly strike you as a surprise, but it at least makes me feel a little more sane.

To whit:

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Where did that money go? How did we spend such a colossal amount of cash, only to feel the pain economically anyway? Why does nobody (FOX, CNN, etc) really seem to care?
    A lot of that money went to companies that assumed they were going to be crushed by the closures, only to have actually fared pretty well. Many of those companies have felt overtaxed for decades, so they aren't exactly going to give it back unless forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    It Maybe a rhetorical question but it's still a good one.

I always thought that people struggling to make a living, make ends meet was good story for the media. However all they seem to be concentrating on right now is the gross numbers of infections and deaths and how poorly they think the current president is handling things.

We just finished our third fiscal quarter at the end of June. I'm waiting to see the numbers to see if in May and June we were able to make up for the significant, massive losses we faced in March and April. We've all taken pay cuts and haven't been told when we can go back to where we were. We've also lost a couple of employees, left for reasons unrelated to the virus. We haven't been told if or when we can replace them.

Yet, in a nearby town I have an acquaintance who sells boats for a living. He says he can't keep any boats on his lot. They're selling faster than they can get them in. He's made so much he was able to buy himself a 38 foot center console that fully kitted out goes for close to $500,000. All of the boat ramps around here are completely full every day.

I always thought that in economic downturns that luxury item like boats never sold. I can understand to some degree people purchasing Firearms like crazy but not boats.

Where is all this money coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    A lot of people have been working from home and earning normal salaries.

Some businesses-- think delivery services, plexiglas, toilet paper, masks, disinfectants, bicycles, etc. -- have been doing very well.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    A lot of people have been working from home and earning normal salaries.

Some businesses-- think delivery services, plexiglas, toilet paper, masks, disinfectants, bicycles, etc. -- have been doing very well.
    ...gun shops.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    A lot of that money went to companies that assumed they were going to be crushed by the closures, only to have actually fared pretty well. Many of those companies have felt overtaxed for decades, so they aren't exactly going to give it back unless forced to.
    Do we have a list of which companies god how much? If so, I haven't seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Yeah I don't understand it, particularly given that even if you're still employed, now is a good time to be hoarding cash and paying down debts. I splurged on ammo early in COVID but now that I am well stocked, almost all of my gun buying is going to be on pause while I shore up my financial cushion.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-06-2020 at 09:10 AM.

User Tag List