Page 629 of 725 FirstFirst ... 129529579619627628629630631639679 ... LastLast
Results 6,281 to 6,290 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Our hospitals are starting to get seriously taxed, mostly for personnel. We're being told to be very careful as local hospitals are going on diversion and if you need medical care you may end up in Chicken-Fuck's bandaid station.

I'm still putting together a Thanksgiving dinner for my shift, but it'll be in the gym so people can space out. We can't afford the manpower loss of quarantines. We ran below minimum yesterday because two officers and a supervisor had to be quarantined due to their spouses testing positive. Not coincidentally, the spouses are all nurses.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Can other manufacturers be licensed to produce the vaccines to speed it to market?
    Yes.

For example, Warp Speed negotiated a deal with Astra for 300 million doses of their vaccine candidate. Included in that deal are provisions for technology transfer. Unfortunately, the vaccine is unlikely to have approval this year.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/...n-october.html
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/h...s-denmark.html

Researchers in Denmark reported on Wednesday that surgical masks did not protect the wearers against infection with the coronavirus in a large randomized clinical trial. But the findings conflict with those from a number of other studies, experts said, and is not likely to alter public health recommendations in the United States.

The study, published in the Annals of Internal Medicine, did not contradict growing evidence that masks can prevent transmission of the virus from wearer to others. But the conclusion is at odds with the view that masks also protect the wearers — a position endorsed just last week by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    (more at link)

Note this was surgical masks, not N95 masks.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Our hospitals are starting to get seriously taxed, mostly for personnel. We're being told to be very careful as local hospitals are going on diversion and if you need medical care you may end up in Chicken-Fuck's bandaid station.

I'm still putting together a Thanksgiving dinner for my shift, but it'll be in the gym so people can space out. We can't afford the manpower loss of quarantines. We ran below minimum yesterday because two officers and a supervisor had to be quarantined due to their spouses testing positive. Not coincidentally, the spouses are all nurses.
    Per one of the ambulance guys here, they often have up to 70% of their on duty rigs waiting with patients at the hospitals. There are no spots in the ER because there are no beds to move ER admits into so the medics can't transfer care. It's not an "all the time" thing yet, but they're getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/18/h...s-denmark.html

(more at link)

Note this was surgical masks, not N95 masks.
    More indications that masks can significantly reduce transmission.

Which is why I want to ASP the morons wearing their masks under their chin, or below their nose.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Moderna says 20 million doses available by end of this year.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...tephane-bancel

Pfizer says up to 50 million doses GLOBALLY this year and 1.3 billion through 2021
    https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

Will be interesting to see how Pfizer deals with their transportation and storage issues.
    We'll be lucky to have widespread availability here by end of Q1, in my totally unqualified opinion.
    So, less than 20% of world population Like the guy said, it will be end of 2021 minimum. I don't know what percentage needs immunity either through infection or immunization for this thing but I would guess at least 40%.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    So, less than 20% of world population Like the guy said, it will be end of 2021 minimum. I don't know what percentage needs immunity either through infection or immunization for this thing but I would guess at least 40%.
    Be cautious. There will be several vaccines available, so the supply is greater than you're thinking; the vaccines are really effective, which means we need less than we thought for community protection; and once the vulnerable are protected the impact to society may not be as significant. Also, China can go suck a dick before it gets an American vaccine.

On the other hand, all the dose numbers you see need to be cut in half when considering vs. population, since at least Moderna and Pfizer are two-dose hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I don't know what percentage needs immunity either through infection or immunization for this thing but I would guess at least 40%.
    Per the Mayo Clinic...

It depends on how contagious the disease is. For something as contagious as measles, herd immunity kicks in at around 94%. Experts are expecting herd immunity to kick in at around 70% for Covid according to this Mayo Clinic article:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/art-20486808

"Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic."

Quote Originally Posted by NoTacTravis View Post
    "Experts estimate that in the U.S., 70% of the population — more than 200 million people — would have to recover from COVID-19 to halt the epidemic."
    Given the large shift in case rate/death rate, seems likely.

Nevermind...

User Tag List