Page 628 of 725 FirstFirst ... 128528578618626627628629630638678 ... LastLast
Results 6,271 to 6,280 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Maybe people will just start living their lives regardless of the rules. Can’t arrest everybody. Besides, most cops I know wouldn’t enforce these insane laws if asked to do so.
    Or maybe people will pull their heads out of their asses and start following best practices for containment and mitigation which will make rules like this unnecessary.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I have a question that may be ridiculous or dumb, but I know there are people ITT much smarter than me who might know. This also may have been answered and I missed it.

If one of these 2 vaccines actually has a 90-95% effectiveness rate, and let's say that it lasts for a year, if enough people receive the vaccine, is it possible for COVID-19 to die out? Or is this something that we are going to need to be immunized against for years to come?
    If covid-19 is truly a zoonotic disease, i.e. reservoir in bats that jumped to humans, than no it won't disappear. It wouldn't completely die out unless we can also completely exterminate the animal host. Think Ebola, where it isn't circulating constantly in humans because it kills us too fast. Now and then it jumps from it's animal reservoir into a human (or a few humans) and we see another outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    If covid-19 is truly a zoonotic disease, i.e. reservoir in bats that jumped to humans, than no it won't disappear. It wouldn't completely die out unless we can also completely exterminate the animal host. Think Ebola, where it isn't circulating constantly in humans because it kills us too fast. Now and then it jumps from it's animal reservoir into a human (or a few humans) and we see another outbreak.
    Hopefully Chinese college researchers will be a little more careful...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    The ID doc interviewed recently on Sam Harris feels we are stuck with this Coronavirus permanently. Just like the other 4-5 that cause colds.

I found the interview very informative. A bit chilling, but also encouraging. Essentially we are screwed until the end of 2021, PTSD'd from the virus til 2024 then a party breaks out

https://samharris.org/podcasts/222-p...-incompetence/
    I'm not really sure how to square that with the vaccine efficacy data we have from Moderna and Pfizer so far. Does he mention vaccines? The interview does appear to be recorded before that data was released, so not sure if he's changed his thoughts since then.

Would listen to the whole thing but I am in full time thesis writing mode so my brain has incredibly limited space for anything else ...

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'm not really sure how to square that with the vaccine efficacy data we have from Moderna and Pfizer so far. Does he mention vaccines? The interview does appear to be recorded before that data was released, so not sure if he's changed his thoughts since then.

Would listen to the whole thing but I am in full time thesis writing mode so my brain has incredibly limited space for anything else ...
    He mentioned vaccines and mentioned that we would need massive quantities of folks vaccinated and would take most of 2021. Basically said there would be no in person larger conference type meetings for sure til 2022. But this pre dates the vaccine releases recently. But these releases are still not available outside of trials right? So despite encouraging data, we don't have a vaccine available.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    But these releases are still not available outside of trials right? So despite encouraging data, we don't have a vaccine available.
    Yes, but it sounds like they are planning to roll out fairly quickly; I believe moderna and pfizer are both planning to apply for EUAs at the end of this month. Pfizer alone says they will be ready to distribute 20 million doses of their vaccine in the US in the first month of 2021. Hopefully coupled with products from other companies it will be rolled out fairly quickly.

He mentioned vaccines and mentioned that we would need massive quantities of folks vaccinated and would take most of 2021. Basically said there would be no in person larger conference type meetings for sure til 2022. But this pre dates the vaccine releases recently. But these releases are still not available outside of trials right? So despite encouraging data, we don't have a vaccine available.
    I've made friends with people in pharma since this shit started, and this is their current opinion, too. I do not know if it's based on real numerical forecasts, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yes, but it sounds like they are planning to roll out fairly quickly; I believe moderna and pfizer are both planning to apply for EUAs at the end of this month. Pfizer alone says they will be ready to distribute 20 million doses of their vaccine in the US in the first month of 2021. Hopefully coupled with products from other companies it will be rolled out fairly quickly.
    Moderna says 20 million doses available by end of this year.
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...tephane-bancel

Pfizer says up to 50 million doses GLOBALLY this year and 1.3 billion through 2021
    https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

Will be interesting to see how Pfizer deals with their transportation and storage issues.
    We'll be lucky to have widespread availability here by end of Q1, in my totally unqualified opinion.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Can other manufacturers be licensed to produce the vaccines to speed it to market?
    Ken

To put those numbers @RoyGBiv shared, I recall seeing estimates earlier this based on R0 that we'd need about 2/3 of the population to have immunity for herd immunity to work. So something like 220M people in the USA, if we ignore those that have immunity from catching COVID already and whatever population % for which the vaccine is not effective.

User Tag List