Page 407 of 725 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    No if's about it - there is simply nowhere in Manhattan and most of the outer boroughs to park the number of cars that would equal a mass stoppage of use of the trains/subways. I once spent over two hours on a Sunday driving around lower Manhattan looking for a spot where I could squeeze my G-car with parking placard, before surrendering and paying the $15/hour to park in commercial parking. Most residents of Manhattan don't have parking available at their residences, those that do often pay more than what normal humans would consider a reasonable monthly mortgage payment just to have somewhere to park their car.

I get where your line of thought is headed, but the reality is, unless telework becomes the "new normal" in these dense urban areas (and I'm not sure how that would work for food-service, retail sales, etc), folks going back to work aren't going to have a choice except to use mass transit.

The real question is how does a major metro area, dependent on mass transit, clean/disinfect the mass transit system? Temp checks before entering the platform?
    For Manhattan I don't doubt you and I would say Paris is in the same boat. I look at DC and I think there is more flexibility, same for Rome. I don't know L.A. but I've heard it called a giant highway system with houses around it.

Some dense urban areas can't help but remain what they are, some may not.

Good point about telework and its possible consequences re. other urban commerces.

As to disinfecting mass transit, I wonder if that's going to make authorities much less tolerant of graffiti and the like (i.e. much less tolerant of folks messing with what they just cleaned up).

Anyway, there's no way to know right now, but it's amusing to speculate.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    CDC Director Says Deaths Will Be Much, Much, Much Lower Than Projected:

https://www.breitbart.com/health/202...han-projected/

Doesn't this seem a bit premature?
    It's never to soon to build the narrative "Trump had it under control."

Repetition of that idea on a daily basis is basically the new Trump re-election campaign, and it will be until November, carried on all the favorite non-MSM "sources." (Because somehow the most popular news channel is not mainstream)
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    It's never to soon to build the narrative "Trump had it under control."

Repetition of that idea on a daily basis is basically the new Trump re-election campaign, and it will be until November, carried on all the favorite non-MSM "sources." (Because somehow the most popular news channel is not mainstream)
    Given how wildly these models swing I honestly don't think we have any idea what the future looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    But we seem to have enough induhviduals who are too stupid or too self-absorbed to do that.
    Not sure if that's a typo or not, but I'm stealing it.

As in "by gathering in large crowds on the beach, students in Florida showed their place in demonstrating the traditional American belief in induhvidualism!"

To those of you panicked by "sources" with "analysis." Has this source had correct predictions during crisis points before? Or are they a constant refrain of "everyone's wrong but me" with a bunch of predicted "disasters" that never saw the light of day?

By this simple device, one can start blocking out "sources" that are 90%+ disinformation, like Zero Hedge, for instance.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Given how wildly these models swing I honestly don't think we have any idea what the future looks like.
    No, we are in the singularity.

But plenty of folks are busy building narratives that will hold up regardless of the outcome. Or at least they hope so.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Not sure if it has been mentioned up-thread by anyone with personal experience, but getting swabbed for covid sucks terribly. Ten seconds in each nostril, all the way back to the back of your throat. I had to take a minute to wipe my eyes before driving away from the test line.

I just had it done this morning. Long story short, I've had a minor dry cough off and on for about month, since a bout with a sinus infection at the end of February, and finally ( knowing maybe it would mean getting tested) relented and visited my doc/urgent care last night. I sat in the car, because they were not letting anyone with respiratory symptoms in the building, until I had a chat with my doc in the covid tent set up in the parking lot. He was in full PPE. After talking about my symptoms and a quick exam, he figures I just have bronchitis, and gave me doxycycline/benzonatate/3-day prednisone for that, but also gave me an order to go get a covid test. I am currently staying in our spare bedroom, and isolating from the family a bit, until we know. Chances are, if I've got it, they all have it too.

It was not fun calling my boss and telling him I wouldn't be in for the rest of the week until tests come back. By policy, my wife is also barred from coming to work (state agency), until I get my test results back. I feel fine, besides the nagging cough, but I understand the reasons for all the precautions and policies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    But we seem to have enough induhviduals who are too stupid or too self-absorbed to do that.
    Not sure if that's a typo or not, but I'm stealing it.

As in "by gathering in large crowds on the beach, students in Florida showed their place in demonstrating the traditional American belief in induhvidualism!"
    It's not a typo. I think Scott Adams (of "Dilbert") came up with it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    New drug shows promise for pneumonia caused by COVID-19, study finds

"The antiviral EIDD-2801 was effective in mice at preventing severe pneumonia caused by the new coronavirus, which has likely been a key driver of serious disease and death in some of those infected, according to findings published Monday in the journal Science Translation Medicine."
    Every so often, there will be a story about some drug that does wonderful things in trials in mice and then disappears from the face of the planet.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Every so often, there will be a story about some drug that does wonderful things in trials in mice and then disappears from the face of the planet.
    Proof that the mice just want us to die.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Drugs That Work In Mice Often Fail When Tried In People
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ried-in-people

Why animal studies are often poor predictors of human reactions to exposure
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2746847/

User Tag List