Page 48 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148548 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post

Secondly, I wonder if the air pollution levels in China could cause an increase susceptibility to respiratory infection.
    Yes. Last week's Journal of American College of Cardiology had a paper on exposure to air particles and adverse health outcomes in China. Overcrowding may play a role, and even hygiene habits as there have been some reports about possible GI transmission routes. I also don't know what level of care is being provided in China, when we're talking mortality rates. They built a hospital in a week, did it mean four walls and a roof to isolate people, or did they put in full icu capacities, expertise, etc. We will know more when we get more cases here, which a matter of time.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    They built a hospital in a week, did it mean four walls and a roof to isolate people, or did they put in full icu capacities, expertise, etc. We will know more when we get more cases here, which a matter of time.
    I didn’t see a sink, or hand washing station in the press photos. They did show a CT scanner, but maybe it wasn’t plugged in...

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Lots to think about in this complex situation!

Also, getting back to the investing discussion, I bought $200 worth of Vanguard's Total International Market index fund on Monday. Friday is payday, so I'll probably buy a little more then. If the market drops much more, I might have to stop buying bonds for a bit to free up money for stocks.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Cool!!! Another debt investor!! Do you use Treasury Direct? I have been using it for near twenty years now for all of my fed.gov bond investing. I have everything from 28-day T-Bills to 30-year TIPS in my "bond ladder".

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Dude, I’ve gone through two full size bottles and half a dozen of the small personal size hand sanitizers since October.

I’m with you.

FYI: If you have one nearby Five-Below typically has the large pump 99% alcohol Purells for 3 bucks. I have one in each vehicle, each office, and each floor of the house.
    Ok, so what is the proper/professional way to use hand sanitizer? Just smear it on? Smear it for at least 20 seconds? Use with a brush for under the nails? Wipe off, or leave for a period of time?

As an OCD hand washer.. I've never thought I actually needed sanitizer, however given the potential situation...
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The really fun part of this is for those of us currently outside the USA with plans to travel in the next couple of months.
    One does hope that the current panic has worn off a bit by then.
    If it's simply overreacting panic -- the competition to entice the fewer travelers should drive ticket prices down a bit.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

This is going to be just as bad as SARS. And the Bird Flu. And the Swine Flu. And Mad Cow. And Ebola. And Global Warming.

Brace yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Ok, so what is the proper/professional way to use hand sanitizer? Just smear it on? Smear it for at least 20 seconds? Use with a brush for under the nails? Wipe off, or leave for a period of time?

As an OCD hand washer.. I've never thought I actually needed sanitizer, however given the potential situation...
    You should probably just buy the purple-topped disinfectant wipe containers from hospitals and use them to take whore baths.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    If it's simply overreacting panic -- the competition to entice the fewer travelers should drive ticket prices down a bit.
    Maybe you can snag a 1st class seat with a coach ticket. I've always wanted to fly 1st class. Once I inquired about an upgrade. Then I knew I was nobody.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Thoughts on this from our medics? One’s in French but the one in English is more or less parallel in suggesting that a cheap, common anti-malaria drug (chloroquine phosphate) is likely effective against Coronavirus associated pneumonia.

https://www.lesechos.fr/amp/1179780

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32074550

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    My plan for Coronavirus in the US will be business as usual — which mostly involves posting bad jokes on the internet, and trying in vain to get people to do something about the self-inflicted epidemic that’s already here, slowly killing people, and wreaking havoc on the US medical care/health system: Obesity. Oh, and sending entirely too many and entirely too long text messages about unbelievably stupid shit to @LittleLebowski and @JDM.
    The nudes offset the stupid shit.
    #RESIST

User Tag List