Page 34 of 725 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134534 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    CDC has come out with a warning this morning.

For the U.S., it’s not if but when, federal officials say.
    Americans should brace for the likelihood that the coronavirus will spread to communities in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Tuesday

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/25/w...#link-3b9a1ce0

Thanks guys. It definitely sucks since my TSP is split 50/50 in the C and S funds (the ones that mirror the Dow and S&P) but I feel pretty safe saying this isn’t the end of the world.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Even though I’m a germ OCD dude, I’m just not freaking out about this. It’s not that I’m not concerned at all or wouldn’t take precautions, but the regular flu concerns me more. Plus the survival rate seems high even in China. The majority of panics turn out to be nothing to panic over.

Actually the panic over the virus concerns me more than the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Thanks guys. It definitely sucks since my TSP is split 50/50 in the C and S funds (the ones that mirror the Dow and S&P) but I feel pretty safe saying this isn’t the end of the world.
    The "C" fund is essentially the S&P 500.

The "S" fund is primarily smaller (and mid-cap) stocks, comprised of entities not listed on the S&P 500.

Fund Objective
    The S Fund's investment objective is to match the performance of the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index, a broad market index made up of stocks of U.S. companies not included in the S&P 500 Index.

Investment Strategy
    The S Fund invests in a stock index fund that tracks the Dow Jones U.S. Completion Total Stock Market Index. The earnings consist of dividend income and gains (or losses) in the price of stocks.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nor am I and I think, of course, that he's just bloviating his usual swill.

The main thing, in my view, for those who fear the markets, is to filter out all the "this time it's different" noise.

Yes, it hurts to watch your investment portfolio drop in value. It's also nice to watch it rise back up even stronger over time. If you need the money in a relatively short period, the market is not the place for those funds. That's what certificates of deposit and bonds are for.

If you're approaching or in retirement, then it may make sense for you to adjust your exposure to equities and up the cash and bonds portion of your portfolio. It's not rocket science but it does take a steady hand on the tiller.
    That’s what I did..I retired in 2015, so in 2008 I only had 7 years before retirement, I made some serious changes, much more conservative, I didn’t make back all that I had lost, but I didn’t lose anymore either.. For me, It was kinda of a wash..

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I’m a couple years from retirement, so late last year I transferred my funds to the G fund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Nor am I and I think, of course, that he's just bloviating his usual swill.

The main thing, in my view, for those who fear the markets, is to filter out all the "this time it's different" noise.

Yes, it hurts to watch your investment portfolio drop in value. It's also nice to watch it rise back up even stronger over time. If you need the money in a relatively short period, the market is not the place for those funds. That's what certificates of deposit and bonds are for.

If you're approaching or in retirement, then it may make sense for you to adjust your exposure to equities and up the cash and bonds portion of your portfolio. It's not rocket science but it does take a steady hand on the tiller.
    You are getting Bogleheads all over your Pistol Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    That’s what I did..I retired in 2015, so in 2008 I only had 7 years before retirement, I made some serious changes, much more conservative, I didn’t make back all that I had lost, but I didn’t lose anymore either.. For me, It was kinda of a wash..
    I'm much more conservative at this juncture as well, Ralph. When I was younger and still working I was much higher in equity exposure.

Nowadays I don't need to take the same level of risk and anything north of 25% exposure has still been able to grow the portfolio while keeping the balance in "safe" investments. Takes care of inflation and more...and I don't have to go to bed fretting about losses. (Also helps keep it simple for the missus when that day comes, as it does for all of us.)

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    You are getting Bogleheads all over your Pistol Forum.
    Don't you hate it when the vegetables and meat touch on the dish?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Is it all over reaction, appropriate reaction . . . or something else . . . here is Rush's take on it:

RUSH: Folks, this coronavirus thing, I want to try to put this in perspective for you. It looks like the coronavirus is being weaponized as yet another element to bring down Donald Trump. Now, I want to tell you the truth about the coronavirus. (interruption) You think I’m wrong about this? You think I’m missing it by saying that’s… (interruption) Yeah, I’m dead right on this. The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.

. . .

But the way it’s being used… I believe the way it’s being weaponized is by virtue of the media, and I think that it is an effort to bring down Trump, and one of the ways it’s being used to do this is to scare the investors, to scare people in business. It’s to scare people into not buying Treasury bills at auctions. It’s to scare people into leaving, cashing out of the stock market — and sure enough, as the show began today, the stock market — the Dow Jones Industrial Average — was down about 900 points, supposedly because of the latest news about the spread of the coronavirus. end quote

Just for clarify, I'm being sarcastic but those are Rush's words. I am no fan of his.
    I’ve heard this theory before, and while I suppose there are enough Democrat-billionaires out there who could influence the market, and try to pull a stunt like that off, I don’t see it, none of them are going to throw away 100’s of millions of dollars to remove one man from office..they’ll make money now, and will make money after he’s gone..

User Tag List