Page 695 of 725 FirstFirst ... 195595645685693694695696697705 ... LastLast
Results 6,941 to 6,950 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    A couple of discussions: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/20/h...-immunity.html and https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...01.18.427166v1 . Hopefully the PF med dudes and dudettes can chime in on the reliability of the second source. The gist of it is that the South African variant is less effected by both monoclonal antibodies and convalescent plasma, and possibly less vulnerable to the effects of the vaccine.

And by the way, to steal shamelessly from Dave Barry: "Little Lebowski and the Practicing IDBIL" would be a great name for a rock band.
    Right up there with Table Saw Amputees.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    B.1.1.7.
    It rolled the Brits. Likely what may be hitting your classes.

One of our local historians did some interesting small town write-ups on 1917-20 Pandemic. I say that because we treat it like a short duration event, but it was killing people for years. The deaths started in soldiers and young women who had recently moved away from town, then a few months the deaths slow arrived in small town. The stories from then were heart-rending, whole families except one child dying or both parents dying. The deaths would come in waves, which was probably some form of viral mutations manifesting.

Attachment 66513

But for the darkness in the history, I recognized a lot of family names of kids I grew up with 50 years later. The Spanish Flu was a bitch, but life went on and babies got made. We’ll get through this one too and then conveniently forget the lessons.
    That's what I'm wondering about right now. It's been almost a year since covid was found in the US about 20 miles from where I live. My wife and I still are not able to get a vaccine, looks like about another month. I've read that next month it will have killed 500K in the US alone.

I think a lot of people thought that we would have this under control in a year but that's starting to look doubtful. Looks like the flu but 10X more deadly and not really going away anytime soon.

The impact on the economy will be far greater than many realize. I think we may be on a WW2 footing right now with the debt/GDP ratio. That can't be good.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-24-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Just to follow up, my mom is recovering well from the COVID pneumonia; still on supplemental oxygen, but much lower amounts that are sustainable with home-care equipment.
    She did have surgery to remove the leg destroyed by the virus-linked blood clots; and has just left the care of the hospital after 24 days to go to a transitional care facility for rehab.
    Her delirium is abating slowly, and she's a bit sharper each day.

Thanks to all who had prayers, good thoughts, etc.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Just to follow up, my mom is recovering well from the COVID pneumonia; still on supplemental oxygen, but much lower amounts that are sustainable with home-care equipment.
    She did have surgery to remove the leg destroyed by the virus-linked blood clots; and has just left the care of the hospital after 24 days to go to a transitional care facility for rehab.
    Her delirium is abating slowly, and she's a bit sharper each day.

Thanks to all who had prayers, good thoughts, etc.
    I’m glad to hear she’s doing a little better - she and you have been in my thoughts.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Vaccine seems to be effective against the mutations, but less so against South African variant:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...it-for-variant

Side note, SIL is back in the hospital. COVID didn't kill her but it didn't help her. She's been in and out of the hospital three times now, returning today. As a transplant recipient, and due to other co-morbidities, she's having some long lasting effects. I suppose from the hypoxia straining her body, but I don't know. Reduced liver and kidney function, now pancreatic issues. She's not hospice level sick yet but they can't figure out a way to get her organs back to better function without inducing strains on her body it won't handle.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Vaccine seems to be effective against the mutations, but less so against South African variant:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...it-for-variant

Side note, SIL is back in the hospital. COVID didn't kill her but it didn't help her. She's been in and out of the hospital three times now, returning today. As a transplant recipient, and due to other co-morbidities, she's having some long lasting effects. I suppose from the hypoxia straining her body, but I don't know. Reduced liver and kidney function, now pancreatic issues. She's not hospice level sick yet but they can't figure out a way to get her organs back to better function without inducing strains on her body it won't handle.
    Here is hoping for a good and healthy resolution. Is this back in Amman?
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Here is hoping for a good and healthy resolution. Is this back in Amman?
    She's currently in CA.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    She's currently in CA.
    Ah. I am not sure if that is better at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I've not had to take a COVID test, but my first thought was "still probably better than having it put in the other part of your body that ends with 'nus'".
    Am I a prophet or what?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    "... but nasal swabs can be uncomfortable."

And your proposed solution... solves that? Pardon my incredulity on the matter.
    Grab your gun and bring in the cat.

User Tag List