Page 633 of 725 FirstFirst ... 133533583623631632633634635643683 ... LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,330 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    My opinion is the worst thing that the vaccine will do is not work. Also, with mass vaccinations, will we see folks being less careful with unfortunate results?

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    "People who wouldn't normally be concerned by vaccines are concerned by this one."

Who?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Hotez
    On what basis?
    This is the first mRNA vaccine ever used on humans, and the timeline has been accelerated due to the severity of the situation.
    What is their level of education/experience/training in hard sciences generally and in sciences involved in the creation/research and administration of virus vaccines?
    This is fairly easy to discover based on the typical timeline of developing a vaccine vs. the current timeline. People involved in the creation/research and administration of virus vaccines tend to be very conservative due to the history involved and the adverse effects previous failures have had on the adoption of vaccines worldwide. I haven't found anyone that works in those fields that feel this timeline is ideal, they just feel the rush is justified due to the situation. They understand the concerns and have them themselves. I don't think attempting to whitewash that is doing anyone any favors.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Thanatos View Post
    Also as a heads up, antibodies from actually getting the illness last as little as 3 months. Re-infection is a real thing, and sometimes the second time is significantly worse or fatal. So, do not rely on the fact that you had the virus to protect you from getting it again.
    Not trying to be argumentative. I'm way outside my lane and don't know much here.

If antibodies/immunity that result from getting and successfully fighting off the virus last only a few months, how do we expect the vaccine to be effective for much longer than that?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Awesome story!

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Thats just too cool for words. Glad to hear he's out and expected to make a full recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    A bit of good news to end the week.

Anyone see any details about distribution methods for this? Minus 100F seems a challenge.

Good time to be in the Dry Ice business I suppose.

Pfizer, BioNTech to Seek Emergency Vaccine Approval on Friday
    Lots of well intended speculation here. My general feeling is the COVID vaccine will play out pretty smooth, especially based on the stakes involved.

I have done public health work for just shy of 20 years and was involved in one of the 2009 pandemic vaccine trials. During that time, I have not seen anything comparative to the present vaccine ground game. The logistics planning is much higher and the level of data tracking (to provide post vaccination safety and general accountability) is unprecedented. As an example, there was a federal assessment completed in September on the -80C freezers and CO2 production supply chain necessary for the Pfizer. There are almost no issues found and those were addressed with compensating controls. There is also detailed OJT training and supporting materials such as PPE to be provided with each shipment dispatched.

Getting into details doesn’t really add more - my opinion is the planning is more than adequate and not the long tent pole. The production is reportedly solid, but my knowledge is limited (and no doubt there are heroic efforts being made). The safety authorization is underway for the first vaccine, but several others in the pipeline.

I do think the present non-transition process is fly in the ointment. Some of the associated decision making seems to have stalled out. Not intended to be more political than observation that three weeks of non decisions and deferrals cannot be good for America.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative. I'm way outside my lane and don't know much here.

If antibodies/immunity that result from getting and successfully fighting off the virus last only a few months, how do we expect the vaccine to be effective for much longer than that?
    These are all open questions, but one of the talking points in every grant application written for vaccine development is the need to find ways to elicit more durable immunity.

Scott Halstead is the guy who discovered antibody dependent enhancement and did a ton of work on Dengue. He's quite elderly now but still somewhat active. A few years ago he spared 30 minutes for a phone call with me. One thing he said that really stuck with me is that "vaccines are fueled by hope." Truer words never spoken, especially now!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I'm 58 and very healthy, and I would have taken any of the major vaccines stil in Phase 3 yesterday if possible.

Certainly being a beta tester/early adopter is not ideal, but IMO in this case and at this point of development "perfect is the enemy of good".

My wife just called informed me during her shift last night she spent aprox 1.5 hrs with a patient before discovering she had covid. This is gonna b interesting.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List