Page 613 of 725 FirstFirst ... 113513563603611612613614615623663713 ... LastLast
Results 6,121 to 6,130 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Hydroxychloroquine

There was a Hydroxychloroquine clown show in the Tulsa thread.
    Here is some randomized trial data recently released.

Hydroxychloroquine failed in prevention of COVID in a placebo trial of 132 healthcare workers. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2771265

A randomized study of COVID patients found no difference in clinical outcomes from Hydroxychloroquine versus placebo in a hospital setting. The study terminated early because Hydroxychloroquine was so ineffective that literally a sugar pill placebo was more effective. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2772922

Since the election is over.. And COVID didn’t end... Are the foolish arguments gonna end now?

I got exposed at work last week, and am under a 14-day quarantine. No symptoms so far.

My state is one of the worst in the country, and my city is number 3 in the state right now for positivity rates per 100,000. I’ve been extremely careful, as there are people in my family I don’t want to get sick, but it seems like a lot of people are over it and don’t care anymore.

My daughter in college was exposed to her roommate (obviously) who self reported minor symptoms and tested positive. My daughter was sent to the isolation dorm. A not so great motel on the far edge of campus on a main road near a real sketchy area. Unlike the security of campus and multiple locked doors to pass through to get to her dorm room she had one rickety motel door between her and the outside world. She was not comfortable there. Her incarceration lasted 8 days. On day 7 she was tested and on day 8 the result came back negative.

She now is very concerned about getting exposed again and being sent back to the isolation dorm. She needs to make it to the Tuesday before Thanksgiving without further incident then I will be bringing her home. She will finish the semester remotely.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    There is always something positive: at least your dude got ecmo. We just got a text not to initiate MCS for ANY patients. We've no remaining resources for them within the system. We're now de facto in crisis standards of care mode for all critical care patients.
    I saw a long standing patient yesterday who is wills and trusts attorney. He said he has never been busier in his life. Older folks putting things in order. Pretty smart for them to do so.
    That's really grim.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’m taking care of a 47 yr old with COVID in our CVICU with an open chest because his right ventricle got punctured by a guide wire while cannulating him for VV ECMO. His wife is a bit younger - just graduated from our MICU with COVID. Their child is still intubated in our PICU with covid.
    Wow that he survived that misadventure thus far. Those are big catheters.

Wow that their child is also intubated. Genetics or a more virulent form of virus?

Site Supporter
    There is always something positive: at least your dude got ecmo. We just got a text not to initiate MCS for ANY patients. We've no remaining resources for them within the system. We're now de facto in crisis standards of care mode for all critical care patients.
    I saw a long standing patient yesterday who is wills and trusts attorney. He said he has never been busier in his life. Older folks putting things in order. Pretty smart for them to do so.
    MCS definition for us laymen please?
    im strong, i can run faster than train

I know some folks will recoil in horror at the source ;-), but this seemed like a good piece on Covid and the human immune system:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-immune-system

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Mechanical circulatory support, I believe...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Mechanical circulatory support, I believe...
    Correct. Sensei was referring to ECMO which is one of options. Those require additional experience and expertise to run, and are in shorter supply than icu beds or vents so we run out of them regularly these days.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Correct. Sensei was referring to ECMO which is one of options. Those require additional experience and expertise to run, and are in shorter supply than icu beds or vents so we run out of them regularly these days.
    Two acronyms I hope to never get to know on a first name basis...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List