Thread: Coronavirus thread

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Saw this new tag line on Nextdoor, encouraging social distancing:

Divided we stand, united we fall.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Good info!

I’ve been happy with the 3M 7500 series half-mask respirator for general shop use(with appropriate cartridge/filter). But it has an exhalation valve, so not a good choice if you’re trying to protect high-risk folks around you.

https://pksafety.com/3m-7500-series-...ce-respirator/
    Question on the exhalation valves: when you exhale, the air obviously has to go somewhere. With no valve, I'm assuming it is forced back through the filters. To what degree does this pressure form inside the mask compromise the seal? Is it a concept where the seal is less important during exhalation due to positive pressure keeping the badness out similar to a positive pressure SCBA, and then the seal resets at inhalation?

Site Supporter
    Here are some idiots:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/coro...-grocery-store

I went to the store and saw one young guy in a mask - looked like one of those you wear when you have to deal with construction dust.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It seems that the only instruction given by schools to parents and students was, "Don't come back here. Other than that, do whatever you want."

I live near a park, and this past weekend and today have been some of the most social group-filled times I can remember when there wasn't an organized birthday party or something. Kids are taking the extended spring break as a great opportunity to socialize, rather than do social distancing, and the parents all seem to think that's great, because they're not in the house. Hanging out in big groups like one doesn't normally see.

I thought kids these days just wanted to sit around texting each other. C'mon, this is sooo the time for that.

We are scrood.
    Recently a kid filling up his vehicle was within 5 feet of my pump where I was I was adding gas to my tank. He lit a cigarette. When I criticized him, his big lard ass mother jumped out and screamed at me. I told her that my mistake was that I overlooked the fact that her son was so stupid that he could not help it. Then I apologized to her son for interfering with his smoke break. I was not armed so I could run my mouth without being irresponsible.

We need to prepare ourselves for the enormous levels of stupidity we will soon see. Maybe it has been said. I think that a high number of infected carriers without symptoms are spreading covid-19 and will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    Question on the exhalation valves: when you exhale, the air obviously has to go somewhere. With no valve, I'm assuming it is forced back through the filters. To what degree does this pressure form inside the mask compromise the seal? Is it a concept where the seal is less important during exhalation due to positive pressure keeping the badness out similar to a positive pressure SCBA, and then the seal resets at inhalation?
    These types of welding respirators usually have one-way valves to expel exhaled air. You can crank the straps down very, very tight. I like to take off the filters and plug the intake in order to do a seal check in lieu of a proper fit test.

I guess I should have taken a picture of the sold out items at Costco today. The ones I remember are vinegar, disinfectant wipes, TP (of course), disinfectant spray, dried pinto beans and rice. Now the dried pinto beans had me worried until I remembered that I had bought about 20 lbs of those awhile back and I was wondering if I was ever going to eat all of those. My wife won't eat them (didn't grow up on the border) so 20 lbs of dried beans is going to last this pendajo a hell of long time. I think I have 15 lbs of pinto beans in a 5 gal bucket so if anything I'll die of something besides of a lack of fiber and protein. Rice is the same deal for a lot of people in this area when the end of days approaches. Actually a person could live on beans and rice one hell of a long time if they had to.
    Last edited by Borderland; 03-16-2020 at 10:09 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

This cartoon is circulating widely on social media in China, and I think pretty much sums up the general feeling among the population there:Name:  7D40D962-0FAC-4BC6-B32B-80452FA5987C.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  49.5 KB

(The signs and slogans in Chinese are all exhortations, “get well soon!”, “stay strong!” kinds of things.)

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Has anyone seen discussion of mosquitoes as a vector? Seems obvious, and we're starting to get into warmer weather when the little blood suckers will start coming out in more numbers.
    That should not be a problem.

I'm not 100% on this, but it appears covid-19 binds to the ACE2 receptor in humans ( angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 ). Mammalian angiotensin enzymes actually appear to function as insecticides to larval mosquitoes (source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5366949/). So unless covid-19 can bind to the insect ACE receptor, which to date, no known coronaviruses do, we should be okay.

Student
    Went into the Scottsdale Gun Club today. The Winchester SXP Desert is gone, as well as the remainder of the shotguns and lever-actions, except for one lone newer 870 with wood furniture. Three or four rimfires left. All the non-blue label Glocks are gone.

Range doors had notices posted saying there's no safety officers on duty. Apparently the rangemaster made, or was handed down, the decision, as all but one of the volunteer RSOs are older and likely at risk. The lone guy came in when I was leaving, so I gave him a heads-up about the brass situation. Not a whole lot of people shooting today than the usual Monday crowd, so I spent the last quarter of my practice session policing up brass since my timer broke and it was starting to gather by the entrance and around the trash cans.

Usually one of the staff watches the range if there's no volunteers present, but all hands were on deck for sales -- quite a few people buying up as much ammo as they were allowed, which was limited to two boxes of hollowpoints per person and five boxes of ball. Most of the guns being picked up were the more expensive bolt-actions and non-pistol ARs.

The two emergency food/backpack starter kits were still standing where they normally were, and still plenty of medical gear and flashlights.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisin Gioro View Post
    This cartoon is circulating widely on social media in China, and I think pretty much sums up the general feeling among the population there:Name:  7D40D962-0FAC-4BC6-B32B-80452FA5987C.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  49.5 KB

(The signs and slogans in Chinese are all exhortations, “get well soon!”, “stay strong!” kinds of things.)
    I believe it reflects the general feeling of the population, but not those of the government.

User Tag List