Page 469 of 725 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519569 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

"Fuck it, they were old, anyway. Push 'em into the box cars."

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-...9-0d5c6fac846c has an article regarding the accuracy of fatality statistics from covid-19. Their take is that official counts may be quite low. They looked at total deaths during the outbreak and compared those numbers to average total deaths for the same months during the 2015-2019 time frame. They include caveats that some of the additional deaths may be from non-covid causes but the patient either didn't seek treatment out of fear, or treatment was unavailable due to the healthcare system being overwhelmed. It's not definitive by itself, but is one more data point for those who are trying to sort out whether deaths are being under or over reported.

I don't know what it's like at your house

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Those 1.7 billion days of house arrest are equivalent to 116,335 life sentences for the average American 38 year-old

But being inside at my house isn't anything like serving a sentence at a penitentiary. Comparing a life sentence at a prison to being at home and going for walks is some absurd nonsense. Get a grip.

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I had to resolve a workplace kerfuffle a few years ago, in which black magic featured prominently, to include dueling animist curses/counter curses. Oddly enough, our HR policies did not have clear guidance for the situation.
    There has got to be a few more interesting tidbits to share about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    A coworker we thought for sure had it just got her antibody test results, neg! She had diarrhea, cough, covid type fever pattern, malaise, and loss of smell.
    Waitwaitwait a minute here. Antibody test? Do we have one that is proven to be reliable yet, with an acceptable level of false positives and high accuracy on negatives? Last I looked, we weren’t there yet. What say the med folks?

ETA: not doubting you, Isaac, or your coworkers, just asking about the current consensus around accuracy of the tests we’ve got right now.

Those 1.7 billion days of house arrest are equivalent to 116,335 life sentences for the average American 38 year-old
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysLearning View Post
    Comparing a life sentence at a prison to being at home and going for walks is some absurd nonsense.
    Sorry if I was not clear, but I was talking about 40 year life expectancy sentences of house arrest, not prison.

PS: You may not be able to go for walks when on house arrest, but unlike quarantine you can still go to work and church (at least in my jurisdiction).

None taken!

I’m not in a position to say if it’s accurate or not really..

But what I can say is, we were one of the first full on covid units in metro Detroit. And 2 of my close coworkers got sick with covid symptoms. But at that time they weren’t testing us. So I can’t say for sure they were positive. This 3rd coworker did get tested tho, and was pos. So her antibody results will be more telling.

A few post up of mine I wrote down the name
    Of the test. I never googled it, but since that post there might be some more info avail to search online.

Oop, left out a sentence there. The reason I mention we were one of the first all covid units is bc at the height of it, they weren’t testing staff unless really necessary. So only the later sick ones got the swab.

So only metropolitan elites can use the "covid19 prophylaxis vs liberty" lane and those of us in rural areas should simply shut up and be your subjects?
    Sigh.

It is entirely reasonable that someone from a hard-hit area -- like NYC -- and someone from a barely-affected area -- like rural Montana -- would have very different views of the COVID-19 situation and the need for controls. Both of their experiences are real and valid.

It is entirely reasonable to ask if it is appropriate to apply the same controls to all places and populations.

It is not reasonable for anyone to think that they have all of the answers.

It is reasonable to follow the best known science in dealing with this virus, with the understanding that knowledge and best practices will change rapidly.

It is reasonable to make informed tradeoffs between public safety and economic activity. We do it all the time.

It is reasonable to have a healthy skepticism about how politics shapes public health policy.

It is not reasonable to assume that all health care professionals have a hidden political agenda.

Site Supporter
    I have a friend who is a speach pathologist working in a covid ward at her hospital who asked me to ask our nurses and doctors here about an interesting hydrophobic behavior she and other staff have noticed with their covid patients. She’s been impressed with and found a lot of the information I’ve shared from the professionals here to be very helpful and informative.

How she described the behavior to me is that patients will beg for water but when she gets cup and tries to give them water they suddenly become irritable, will refuse to drink, and it isn’t uncommon for them to try to physically push the cup away.

She’s spent twelve or thirteen years working with a lot of patients with a wide range of severe physical and neurological disorders and hasn’t seen another condition that so regularly manifests this specific behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    No speech. You’re out of your lane.

I agree that the government lockdown has certainly reduced the death rate; chiefly through the hiatus of elective surgeries. We will certainly see a decrease from the average 250,000 annual deaths in the U.S. due to medical malpractice. The fact is doctors kill more people in the U.S. every single year than COVID-19 ever could.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 05-01-2020 at 08:49 AM.

User Tag List