Page 554 of 725 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556564604654 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    If EVERYONE just locked down for a few weeks at the start of this whole disaster we would be done. Now were are seriously fucked.
    Not to be a misanthropic dick, but we couldn't even get people to observe simple hand hygiene.

We were fucked well before this started. Well before people started bitching about masks.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Do you believe that COVID would have been eliminated by some other means than conferred immunity or a vaccine? If we had universally locked down in say February, including sealed borders and full in-home quarantine for non-essential activities, do you suppose that in March we would be in a permanent declining case state? Why do you think that?
    Why is the EU opening up for travel right now? Who really knows what would of happened but frankly what we did didn't work out, heck were even facing a potential ban for travel to Europe at this point. We are going to endure a lot more economic pain because we keep dragging this thing out, I don't think I am the first person to say that in this thread. NZ basically shut everything down and they had a tiny number of cases, of course they are a smaller country, etc etc, but shutting things down seems to be the only method to control this without a vaccine. Again, I'm not a SME, totally an opinion but it really begs the question, what the hell have we been doing for three months since we are basically the poster child of the world of how to screw this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    So far when I go out in public, nearly everybody are wearing masks. I am grateful for that. For the few who are not wearing their masks, I secretly hope they get Covid and suffer from it. Of course, I don't really mean it...
    You're too kind of a person. I do mean it. My colleagues spent 90 min on Thursday just trying to arrange a transfer of a dude with an ongoing event, couldn't figure out where beds were available etc. By the time he got here, his trop was 100.
    Local news gig observed some 3+ thousand people in stores across the state and came up with 50/50 mask/no mask distribution. Of course, those who aren't wearing them will be the first ones to bitch if we have to shut down again.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You're too kind of a person. I do mean it. My colleagues spent 90 min on Thursday just trying to arrange a transfer of a dude with an ongoing event, couldn't figure out where beds were available etc. By the time he got here, his trop was 100.
    Local news gig observed some 3+ thousand people in stores across the state and came up with 50/50 mask/no mask distribution. Of course, those who aren't wearing them will be the first ones to bitch if we have to shut down again.
    I live across from our large (3 tertiary care hospitals, combined >1k beds) university medical campus in apartment complexes largely leased by people who work and/or study there.

I'd say maybe 30% of the people I bump into around my apartment complex wear masks. This includes people in scrubs (though usually not scrubs that match MD/RN linen service uniforms, so I'm guessing DPT students or something). Totally insane.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I need to get this off my chest. The condemnation of the right-wing "lockdown" protestors for violating social distancing/PPE precautions by a big chunk of the medical community, who then simultaneously turned around and said that somehow this risk is now mitigated by the public health threat posed by racism, was disgraceful and will likely further tarnish the credibility of physicians in the public eye.

To be clear this is a minority opinion, but it was vocal enough to dominate the media narrative, and we will all probably pay for it one way or another.
    You might be interested in reading about this.
    https://coloradosun.com/2020/06/30/p...avirus-spread/

But a new study by a nationwide research team that includes a University of Colorado Denver professor has found something surprising: The protests may have slowed the overall spread of the coronavirus in cities with large demonstrations, including Denver.

“We think that what’s going on is it’s the people who are not going to protest are staying away,” said Andrew Friedson, the CU-Denver professor who is one of the paper’s co-authors. “The overall effect for the entire city is more social distancing because people are avoiding the protests.”

Meanwhile California, which was on strict lockdown for 2 weeks 2+ months, has leapt past Sweden in Coronavirus fatalities:

Sweden:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-01-08-19-27-1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  29.8 KB

California:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-01-08-26-56-1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  39.4 KB

California does have 4x the population of Sweden so Sweden's fatality rate is still much higher, but that gap is narrowing as predicted (from 7.6x higher on April 1, to 5.4x on May 1, to 4.4x on June 1 to 3.6x higher today).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 07-01-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Well that's fuckin brilliant, a stay at home order via threat of violence. We'll put a group of angry psychopaths in every major city so that everyone is afraid to leave their homes. Problem solved. Pack it in folks, we did it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Meanwhile California, which was on strict lockdown for 2 weeks 2+ months, has leapt past Sweden in Coronavirus fatalities:

Sweden:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-01-08-19-27-1.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  29.8 KB

California:
    Name:  Screenshot_2020-07-01-08-26-56-1.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  39.4 KB

California does have 4x the population of Sweden so Sweden's fatality rate is still much higher, but that gap is narrowing as predicted (from 7.6x higher on April 1, to 5.4x on May 1, to 4.4x on June 1 to 3.6x higher today).
    Sweden’s death rate is over 11 times that of Norway. Given the fact that they share a peninsula, I think that’s a better comparison. Sweden’s economy is still in the crapper, so I think their experiment was largely a failure.

What they have to do with California, I fail to see. When they have the trans-pacific trade California has as well as a border with a third-world county it will be a valid comparison.

Question about transmission- has it been determined if the virus is spread by the virus alone, or mostly via exhaled droplet?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    LOL, its not a surprise he doesn't teach at the medical campus at least...

User Tag List