Page 670 of 725 FirstFirst ... 170570620660668669670671672680720 ... LastLast
Results 6,691 to 6,700 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Both of the following sites are interesting, and contain significant amounts of important information.

https://covid19criticalcare.com/

https://c19study.com/
    I know some of the physicians in FCCC. Their ring leader, Paul Merik, is quickly becoming the Sidney Powell of critical care - someone who built up a remarkable career with minimal resources (EVMS is not a powerhouse medical institution like Harvard or Hopkins), but is losing credibility after recently latching on to medical voo doo. It started about 4 years ago when he published an observational case series of 47 patients with septic shock who he treated with a cocktail of vitamin C. He reported an absolute risk reduction in mortality of 20% which is unheard of in my field. Clear thinking doctors were wary of his too-good-to-be-true findings, but clear thinking is actually a minority in medicine (hence all the BLM pins on white coat lapels).

Needless to say, the subsequent randomized trials failed to support his cocktail, yet he and others persist despite the mounting evidence. He is no stranger to lay media where he uses terms like “revolutionary, remarkable, and game-changing” despite the fact that his recent ideas are, at best, hypothesis generating. Even more disturbing is the fact that a prestigious journal published his case series when it should have been relegated to preliminary data for a grant application.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    I'll be 65 in July, my wife is 69 with a compromised immune system. I'd take the vaccine in a heart beat. Here's the thing. I'm just a Security Officer working for a private contractor. Not so much considered a "critical" worker. Except:
    I work at a 24hr Emergency Center. We are just about the only place in town that does COVID testing. My post is in the foyer, first contact with patients. I have to distinguish between patients and visitors/family. So, I usually ask, "Are you here to see a doctor." In slightly more that half of the cases, I'll start getting medical history.
    These folks are scared and there for help. I suppose the fact that I obviously work there makes them think I'm in some way qualified to make some judgement on what they are telling me. Being a smart-ass won't help and is unnecessary. I wait for the first opening, then explain that I just need to take their temperature, record visitors in my log. The lady (not misogyny, just the way it is at the moment.) behind the counter will help them. I'll get somewhere between 15 to 20 people per day who will volunteer on their way out, "I was positive. (For COVID.)
    So likely double that including COVID cases that didn't volunteer that info.
    Here's the thing. I'm the first person who contacts those infected people as they enter the clinic. I have to stand within arms length to hold the IR scanner to their forehead, then get them to sign the visitor's log and direct them to the desk. Often, I'm helping them into wheelchairs.
    I know that clinic workers will be offered early doses. I'm shocked at the number of staff who don't want the vaccine. I'm not sure it will be offered to the "Non-first workers" acting as security.
    Any of you SOBs don't want your shots, send em my way.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 12-16-2020 at 01:38 AM.

@Bigguy
    The way the priority is set for my state and county you would definitely qualify for 1st round

ETA: Email I got at work (sorry phone pic, hope it turns out ok)
    Name:  20201208_114614.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  70.0 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    @Bigguy
    The way the priority is set for my state and county you would definitely qualify for 1st round
    Any idea where AZ is prioritizing college students living on campus.? My youngest will be back at UA in early January.

Young and healthy, but, in a shared living environment where others may not be enthusiastic about best practices.

Generally.... I see some logic in vaccinating the people most likely to spread it... High Schoolers and community college kids (living at home) would be high on my list. Is there a category for morons? I see a lot of those at Walmart and Kroger.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Any idea where AZ is prioritizing college students living on campus.? My youngest will be back at UA in early January.

Young and healthy, but, in a shared living environment where others may not be enthusiastic about best practices.

Generally.... I see some logic in vaccinating the people most likely to spread it... High Schoolers and community college kids (living at home) would be high on my list. Is there a category for morons? I see a lot of those at Walmart and Kroger.
    Everything I know about it is in the email I posted, but that is for Maricopa County. U of A is in a different county, so I don't know how they are handling it. If they're doing the same as Maricopa, then the way I read it they would most likely be group 2.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

I'm not in any way an expert on the science, but from what I've read in the media, the verdict is still out as to whether the vaccine prevents spread, or whether it "only" prevents severe illness or infection in those vaccinated. From the Mayo clinic site:

Fact: It may take time for everyone who wants a COVID-19 vaccination to get one. Also, while the vaccine may prevent you from getting sick, it is unknown at this time if you can still carry and transmit the virus to others. Until more is understood about how well the vaccine works, continuing with precautions such as mask-wearing and physical distancing will be important.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...yths-debunked/

So I think each state is pushing out the vaccine based on risk assessment of the exposed person, at least right now.

Younger Offspring's test came back negative. Hopefully we're in the clear.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I'm just a Security Officer working for a private contractor. Not so much considered a "critical" worker. Except:
    I work at a 24hr Emergency Center. We are just about the only place in town that does COVID testing. My post is in the foyer, first contact with patients.
    You would actually be in the 1st allotment for my agency, as well.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You would actually be in the 1st allotment for my agency, as well.
    In my state, hospital support staff with direct patient contact are top of the priority list. Being the ER greeting committee strikes me as top o’ the list. Please take care of yourself and your wife.

My SiL, ER nurse, got the Pfizer jab today. One shot is likely very protective for most working age persons. Two shots should seal the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by DrkBlue View Post
    In my state, hospital support staff with direct patient contact are top of the priority list. Being the ER greeting committee strikes me as top o’ the list. Please take care of yourself and your wife.

My SiL, ER nurse, got the Pfizer jab today. One shot is likely very protective for most working age persons. Two shots should seal the deal.
    That's great news for her, I'm really glad to hear that!

An article I read last week, I'm sorry I don't have the link, said that the 1st Pfizer jab provides 50+% effectiveness. A week after the 2nd stick puts you at 95%. I absolutely will get both jabs, but its good to hear you get a good chunk of armor from the 1st one even.

The one thing I'm still not clear on is how the effectiveness is measured, and what is considered effective? If it keeps you from being critically sick? Really sick? Not sick at all/asymptomatic?

User Tag List