Page 620 of 725 FirstFirst ... 120520570610618619620621622630670720 ... LastLast
Results 6,191 to 6,200 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Do you know what the treatment protocol is? Here it seems nothing much is done, and it is treated like the flu for most people.

Finding a doctor who will prescribe HCQ might not be that easy here. In Mexico it is much easier to get what you need.
    The treatment depends on the severity of the case. Most people with mild cases are treated just like the flu but monitored closely for air saturation and other tell-tale symptoms.

Regarding treatment, the severe cases in ICU get the same treatment as elsewhere in the world, but remdesivir is not widely used due to cost. Experience with plasma from recovered patients seems promising.

Some MD friends got themselves a "COVID kit" just in case that is popular in Brazil in case they get infected (HCQ, ivermectine, azithromycin, Vitamin D, etc.), but others don't trust they effectivity. Nobody is taking anything as prophylaxis.

To my very uneducated point of view, it often seems like they are throwing the kitchen sink at it in hope something will work. My MD friends are the first ones to candidly confess we still don't know much about this.

Our age/gender stats look pretty much like everywhere else in the world, but it is not unusual to see mild cases in old people and severe cases with younger ones.

It is a bit perplexing to see many families under the same roof interacting closely where only a few get infected. Even in the case a couple is sharing a bed sometimes the partner does not get infected, or at least it could not be detected after a few days. In other cases, an individual is extremely contagious and just a small interaction get the people around infected.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.businessinsider.com/glob...esults-2020-11

A global black market for negative COVID-19 test results has emerged, with fakes starting around $200
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Given that at the very beginning of this thread I predicted that COVID would be no big deal, it's hard for me to be married to the notion that I know better than other people...
    I would argue how you articulated your original position and then updated it when you found data that contradicted the original position is exactly why you know better than other people. That is pretty much a summary of how the scientific method is supposed to work. Advance a hypothesis with reasons, test, and adjust/repeat as needed. Just what you did and what a scientist should do.

All too often, we see people wedded to positions that the data does not support. Those people know less than everyone else because they defend the indefensible. Being able to admit the first (any, for that matter) hypothesis is wrong is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post

To my very uneducated point of view, it often seems like they are throwing the kitchen sink at it in hope something will work. My MD friends are the first ones to candidly confess we still don't know much about this.
    That is exactly what is happening in many, if not most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Not certain what the average age is here, but I've seen enough of it all to tell you that surviving COVID on the merit of your youth alone can lead to a really miserable rest of your life when you have to wear home O2 if you want to go up the stairs.

My patients today? Perfectly healthy 72YO, very sick 77YO and utterly fucked up 41YO.

The patient we transferred to ICU yesterday was 33...taken to be cannulated for ECMO today. Patient transferred to ICU today was 51. Certainly doesn't appear to be likely to survive due to extremely rapid progression of their disease, it's doubtful we can arrest their deterioration in time.

Any one of these patients who survives is gonna have a long hard recovery with a significant increase in hospital readmission (positive correlation with prolonged ICU stay which is high probability for a COVID patient that gets intubated.) and a significant increase in 1 year mortality.

In short...I'd be interested to follow up with our "survivors" in a year to see how many times they were readmitted and if they're still alive.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    I'm still working with two patients who caught it back in March and are still struggling to return to normal. Still having issues with abnormalities on their breathing test as well as x-rays.

I still just think this is overblown. My son got it bad but it was because of a reaction he had with a vaccine that put him in the hospital and on test 3 he was tested positive.

I think masks and lockdowns are full of crap because I have seen more people with other dieseses due to the mask they are using. Just workout and wash your hands and you are fine. No fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Our age/gender stats look pretty much like everywhere else in the world, but it is not unusual to see mild cases in old people and severe cases with younger ones.

It is a bit perplexing to see many families under the same roof interacting closely where only a few get infected. Even in the case a couple is sharing a bed sometimes the partner does not get infected, or at least it could not be detected after a few days. In other cases, an individual is extremely contagious and just a small interaction get the people around infected.
    This is my situation.

My wife caught it by just being in a room with a non-symptomatic person for about an hour having a meeting on a Thursday. She washed her hands after leaving the room. That person lost their sense of smell on Sunday and tested positive on Wed. My wife lost her sense of smell 9 days after exposure and that is when she had bad symptoms.

I was in a 1,450 sq ft house with her for the whole time, sharing a bathroom, eating food she cooked, eating in the same room, spending lots of time within 6 feet and did not take any special precautions. No masks, didn't wash hands except when going to the bathroom. No special cleaning or anything.

She sneezed every 15 min (no exaggeration) and coughed quite a bit.

We don't share a bed but she did change the sheets on both beds.

I never got sick. But I wasn't tested.

Not sure if my wife just wasn't shedding virus or I was asymptomatic or "Matt Damon" or just really, really good at dodging fomites or extremely lucky.

My assumption is that I "caught it" but was asymptomatic. I did not go and get a test because I didn't want to use up a test since I was going to have to quarantine anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Back when I was a cop, I would feel this particular sort of frustration when I was off-duty in my normal person clothing, and some Portlandia denizen would explain to me that the cops wouldn't have to shoot anybody if they would just "de-escalate."
    Did you tell them cops would also never have to shoot anyone if people stopped committing crimes, resisting arrest, or running from the Police?
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I'm still working with two patients who caught it back in March and are still struggling to return to normal. Still having issues with abnormalities on their breathing test as well as x-rays.
    Anecdotally do you feel like this is more common with COVID-19 patients vs. all-cause ARDS?

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    My son got it bad but it was because of a reaction he had with a vaccine that put him in the hospital and on test 3 he was tested positive.
    Huh? I don't understand what this means

User Tag List