Page 711 of 725 FirstFirst ... 211611661701709710711712713721 ... LastLast
Results 7,101 to 7,110 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That was EXCELLENT. 7 minutes well spent. Thanks for posting.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Pfizer & Modern's clinical trials did happen during the best possible time, but real-world results among health care workers during the US's winter surge still showed them having 90+% efficacy. https://www.statnews.com/2021/03/29/...-90-effective/

J&J broke out their results by country, and didn't find that the US cases were unusual variants. I'd happily get the J&J vaccine if it was all I could get, but I don't buy the narrative that the trial was somehow unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    J&J broke out their results by country, and didn't find that the US cases were unusual variants. I'd happily get the J&J vaccine if it was all I could get, but I don't buy the narrative that the trial was somehow unfair.
    Is not about fairness, just a remainder to take those numbers with a grain of salt, because they are not directly comparable even if we try our best to level all the variables.

And that a vaccine's protection against severe cases and deaths is its most valuable attribute.

Site Supporter
    Is not about fairness, just a remainder to take those numbers with a grain of salt, because they are not directly comparable even if we try our best to level all the variables.

And that a vaccine's protection against severe cases and deaths is its most valuable attribute.
    This...especially the last part.

I contracted COVID after dose one of the Pfizer vaccine and found that the course of my illness was extremely minimal.

Granted I'm also 30 years old and in excellent shape, but even so, I've seen patients in my unit who had a similar story....yet despite significant risk factors (advanced age, morbid obesity, sedentary lifestyle, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease) the patients I've seen who were vaccinated, even with a single dose of one of the mRNA shots or the J&J vaccine, had a significantly shorter hospital stay.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have a nit to pick with part of that - they say that the prevalence during the trial matters. To a first order effect, I don't think so.

Suppose you run a trial for BrandA involving 100k people. Out of that 100k people, 100 who got the vaccine get sick, vs 1000 who got the placebo - the efficacy is 90%.

Now you do the same for BrandB, but the pandemic is worse. Out of the 100k people, 200 who got the vaccine get sick, vs 2000 who got the placebo. The efficacy is also 90%.

I don't see why those aren't at least mostly comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    This...especially the last part.

I contracted COVID after dose one of the Pfizer vaccine and found that the course of my illness was extremely minimal.

Granted I'm also 30 years old and in excellent shape, but even so, I've seen patients in my unit who had a similar story....yet despite significant risk factors (advanced age, morbid obesity, sedentary lifestyle, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease) the patients I've seen who were vaccinated, even with a single dose of one of the mRNA shots or the J&J vaccine, had a significantly shorter hospital stay.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Apologies for the bevvy of questions.

When you contracted covid had it been 2 weeks since you got your first shot?

Did that complicate getting or scheduling your 2nd?

Is there any known mitigating impact on a vaccinated person getting "long covid" where people who don't have major symptoms initially wind up with hugely major problems down the line?

Site Supporter

On top of this, I've got a friend who's dealt with organizing a large scale vaccination clinic for a local hospital. In his view, the one dose nature of the J&J vaccine makes actually getting it out to people massively easier.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Is there any known mitigating impact on a vaccinated person getting "long covid" where people who don't have major symptoms initially wind up with hugely major problems down the line?
    I think the phenomenon you're describing has yet to be rigorously defined or studied, so its kind of hard to answer your question here. This is further complicated by the fact that many survivors of other critical illnesses experience similar phenomena (like persistent cognitive impairment), so to what extent COVID is unique in this way remains to be fully elucidated.

User Tag List