Page 560 of 725 FirstFirst ... 60460510550558559560561562570610660 ... LastLast
Results 5,591 to 5,600 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    https://globalepidemics.org/key-metr...d-suppression/
    Color code is based on daily cases per capita, 7-day rolling average.

By state:
    Attachment 56821

By county:
    Attachment 56822
    What are the numbers of deaths looking like? Are they correlating with the increase in cases?

I saw the other day someone say something along the lines of if we gave everyone an IQ test we’d have 50 million more morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanye Wyoming View Post
    What are the numbers of deaths looking like? Are they correlating with the increase in cases?
    Deaths are not rising at the same rate as new cases. At the moment the curves have opposite slopes.

From what I've read, reasons include:
    - The time lag for cases to progress to death
    - The demographics for the new cases are skewing younger
    - We're getting better at treatment
    - Increased testing is finding more asymptomatic carriers

Name:  daily new.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  43.4 KB
    Name:  daily deaths.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  44.9 KB
    Name:  active.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  36.0 KB
    Name:  total.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  39.7 KB

From California-

Valley wineries ordered to close indoor operations, while Governor's winery remains open;

https://kmph.com/news/local/central-...y-remains-open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    From California-

Valley wineries ordered to close indoor operations, while Governor's winery remains open;

This is the kind of shit that makes people believe this is all bull shit, when people in power selectively enforce rules and regulations for the "good of the public." Either we are all in this together like everyone likes to spout and signal or were all gonna get fucked because "you" assholes who make the rules fuck it up for everyone else.

Selective economic destruction based solely on politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is the kind of shit that makes people believe this is all bull shit, when people in power selectively enforce rules and regulations for the "good of the public." Either we are all in this together like everyone likes to spout and signal or were all gonna get fucked because "you" assholes who make the rules fuck it up for everyone else.
    “We’re all in this together”

“Safer at home”

“Stop being so cynical”

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    From California-

If you read the article, closures were done on a county by country basis. The guv's winery is in Napa (probably not the only one), which was not closed, because they had a 1.6% positive case test rate, versus 8.6% for at least one of the closed counties. There was an established cut off point of 8%.

I don't know shit about that guy, nor do I particularly care, since I don't live in CA, although I have lots of family there. But I'm sure we can find better examples of corruption to raise our blood pressure over.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    As I'm sure you know, there is a huge difference between the amount of money spent and the efficiency of the money used. Big bureaucracies (medical or otherwise and that certainly includes education) are not good at all at allocating the funds to maximize the advancements sought.

I'd add that the state of education nowadays (for the population at large) is not as it was in the past. Not that the information or scholarly works aren't there, or that advances haven't been made but rather that your "average" college graduate nowadays seems to know a lot less than the equivalent one twenty years ago.
    pp

Schools reflect their communities. By electing school boards, voters to a large extent control district processes by which funds are channeled and programs are administered. Further the state to a great extent and the federal government to a lesser extent impose rules and regulations. Districts must operate within a matrix of regulations to carry out their mission. Leaders must satisfy those in the community while they go about day to day business. So there is a whole ball of wax. The man in the street gives opinions when he has no idea about complexity therein.

The same parents who bitched and whined when their kids did not get their way are now doing the same with college teachers and administrators. As a group they are middle class white people who have privilege and have used it to influence outcomes in churches, schools, country clubs, and other social systems. This segment has fled and does flee the city. Some of these pontificate as they "examine their privilege" and suck up for the rest of us.

Want to improve education? Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    pp

Schools reflect their communities. By electing school boards, voters to a large extent control district processes by which funds are channeled and programs are administered. Further the state to a great extent and the federal government to a lesser extent impose rules and regulations. Districts must operate within a matrix of regulations to carry out their mission. Leaders must satisfy those in the community while they go about day to day business. So there is a whole ball of wax. The man in the street gives opinions when he has no idea about complexity therein.

The same parents who bitched and whined when their kids did not get their way are now doing the same with college teachers and administrators. As a group they are middle class white people who have privilege and have used it to influence outcomes in churches, schools, country clubs, and other social systems. This segment has fled and does flee the city. Some of these pontificate as they "examine their privilege" and suck up for the rest of us.

Want to improve education? Good luck.
    I wouldn't know the first thing about the education system, never mind how to improve it.

All I can say is that I look at what my father knew when he came out of college and it was more than I did at the same time, and when I look at what my nieces know now (over decade after their college graduations) and it is less than I knew when I came out of college.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Weekend update.....

Both Florida and Texas reported their biggest daily rise in new confirmed cases over the past few days, with Florida reporting 11,443 new resident cases on Saturday and another 9,999 on Sunday. Texas reported a record 8,258 new cases on Saturday followed by 3,449 on Sunday. California reported 5,410 new cases on Sunday and Arizona reported 3,536 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday.

"I will tell you, a month ago one in 10 people were testing positive. Today, it's one in four," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told CBS. "The number of people who are getting sick and going to the hospitals has exponentially increased. The number of people in our ICU beds has exponentially increased. In fact, if we don't get our hands around this virus quickly, in about two weeks our hospital system could be in serious, serious trouble."

At least two counties in South Texas say they have hospitals already at full capacity.

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/05/88744...d-case-numbers

User Tag List