Page 81 of 725 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181581 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus thread

I'd like to dedicate the next song to all those people panic buying things like toilet paper:

"You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    From what I've seen reported, it should if it has at least 60% alcohol content, but washing your hands with soap and water is better.
    Note:

Properly washing your hands with soap and water is better.

Almost nobody outside surgical teams properly washes their hands.

Not to mention the amount of people who turn off a faucet, open a door, etc after washing their hands without using a paper towel...
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    I only recommend pulse oximeters for my patients who are on home O2.....

cc
    This was actually the end goal. I had my eye on an oxygen concentrator. and a pulse ox would have been part of the equation

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    This was actually the end goal. I had my eye on an oxygen concentrator. and a pulse ox would have been part of the equation
    Assuming you don't have COPD or any other underlying lung disease, you don't need home O2 either, unless you're just really fond of fire hazards i guess.

If you're at a point clinically where you require supplemental oxygen b/c of this virus, you are far outside of your ability to provide care for yourself and should be seeking medical attention.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The University of Texas System has officially mandated that any student, faculty, or staff traveling to a country with a CDC warning self-report to their respective university, then self-isolate themselves for 14 days upon return. Anyone self-isolated is supposed to report to their respective university's heath services center until they are "released" to return to school.

All total, that would apply to about 350,000 people.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Twang&Bang on IG
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B9SX3Zkg...on_share_sheet

Hilarious and I do not mock. Let he that is without sin . . .
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Looks like medical personnel need N95 and equivalent masks. The best thing might be for people to give many of those recently purchased masks to local hospitals.

My GP sent out an email today saying that he'd be conducting telemedicine due to people's unwillingness to come into the office. Included a list of nice to have's in the note: Thermometer, BP cuff, etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I dont think they're useful for what we're talking about here. I recommend them to my patients for self monitoring if those folks have chronic problems such COPD or CHF, much less commonly sleep disordered breathing. For acute infectious illnesses if your 02 sat is frankly low, a person is sick enough to know. On the other hand, if you're sick sick but your sat is normal, it should not reassure anyone. I would not buy one.
    Not a health care pro (despite a useless bio degree) but I've had enough amateur experience with respiratory equipment to last a lifetime. Most recent was months staring at pulse ox and other sensors attached to my daughter in the NICU, trying to distinguish between real and false desaturation events. Followed by another 6 months with a medical-grade pulse ox connected to said daughter 24/7. Lots of false positives due to movement, sensor placement, and other factors. We're mostly past that and you couldn't pay me enough to bring another one into the house. I still hear that low O2 air raid siren in my fucking nightmares.

A can of Lysol has been placed in our rest room at work. I now spray the faucet handles and door knob when I get in. When I'm done I wash and dry my hands. Use the paper towel to turn off the faucet and open the door and then use hand sanitizer when I get back to my bench. I may catch it, but it won't be from not washing my hands at work.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List