Page 608 of 725 FirstFirst ... 108508558598606607608609610618658708 ... LastLast
Results 6,071 to 6,080 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Amen.

Here the university ID service made Plaquenil the standard of care for all intubated COVID+ patients from March-June. Why? Because 2020.

It's been a really weird year to finish up my PhD on ARDS. Writing the background chapter now. Incredibly tempting to include the history of what's happened this year just so I get the chance to put it all down on paper.
    You should include it!

Our hospital system is notoriously stodgy when it comes to adopting the newest meds and latest and greatest therapies. So we've been avoiding all of the new cocktails of meds and focused on ARDSNet.

There's definitely a lot of instant gratification type behavior with this virus. In terms of both therapies as well as general info.

Cases climbing nationally.

Name:  new cases.JPG
Views: 325
Size:  40.6 KB

"We are caught in the middle of a COVID storm," said North Dakota's Republican Governor Doug Burgum at a press event this week, as he displayed a map with alarming positivity rates across the region, from Iowa to Idaho to Kansas.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ince-late-july

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

"We are caught in the middle of a COVID storm," said North Dakota's Republican Governor Doug Burgum at a press event this week, as he displayed a map with alarming positivity rates across the region, from Iowa to Idaho to Kansas.

I'm most worried about the month or so after the holiday season. A lot of people indoors/traveling/ignoring safety precautions around family.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Well Frack! I don't see how the Frosh College kid has an in person Spring Semester at this point. Especially with a California school. Dammit.

I'm most worried about the month or so after the holiday season. A lot of people indoors/traveling/ignoring safety precautions around family.

Yep.

July 4th was our big spreader event, at least so far

Site Supporter
    Most of my MICU colleagues are making bets as to when we will be back to being a COVID specific unit with double bedded rooms again...

They seem to be landing on mid December, but I think we'll muddle through Thanksgiving.

Christmas and NYE party's though? Forget about it. Smart money is mid to late January and it'll be as bad as we saw in March with February being worse.

But I'm what you'd call a pessimist.

FWIW, I'm in the data analysis section of helping out in a COVID study from data collected in the height of the initial pandemic. It is specifically about non-invasive oxygenation strategies and how they compared in mortality, ICU LOS, and overall quality of life. Most of it is leaning in the direction that intubation is definitely more trouble than it is worth unless in cases that are extremely bad.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Last edited by peterb; 10-19-2020 at 02:36 PM.

It's very cool that they're already manufacturing it. But risky, cuz man if it doesn't get approved I can't imagine how much money that is down the drain. Fingers crossed for all of us though

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Jordan is seeing increases in cases again and their are rumors of another lockdown. Their lockdowns are for real lockdowns, you have to get all your groceries, medicine, etc. then stay home for the duration. Aside from emergency services and gas delivery (many homes cook with bottled gas) there isn't much in the way of "essential businesses" that remain open. Their economy has suffered quite a bit as well, tourism down and jobs lost to the pressures of previous measures. Crime is up as people get desperate, and apparently protection racket gangs are sprouting up to the point a new unit of police has been created to try and tamp it down. Violence based economic crimes were pretty rare in Jordan, with scams being the prominent criminal method of gaining money (pretending to be hit by your car to extort money, filing false lawsuits so you'll pay them to go away vs spending the time in court, fake romantic relationship overtures for money/gifts, etc).

While most of us, understandably, have a very US-centric view of this I worry that the effect on nations like Jordan will increase extremism in the world. Islamic terrorism, along with criminal gangs, benefits when there's a large pool of poor, desperate, and directionless young men looking for a purpose, an income, and someone to blame.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List