Page 541 of 725 FirstFirst ... 41441491531539540541542543551591641 ... LastLast
Results 5,401 to 5,410 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I think the publics response is due to the double standard of the politicians and media. "Stay home, people at Church are going straight to jail, etc." Then the streets are filled with protestors shoulder to shoulder and that is "ok" but again do not go to church on Sunday. It is either an issue or not but the obvious double standard has gotten everyone to say to heck with it.
    That’s pretty much my observation as well. In my AO, people, in the beginning, wanted to follow the guidelines set forth by medical professionals as much as possible. However, as this crisis became more and more politicized by cynical politicians and their media pals, and the double standards more and more brazen, people are saying the hell with it and going about their lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I shot a pistol class today in rural TN. Rather than get up at "O dark thirty" this morning I spent the night in hotel near range last night. Fairly new Holiday Inn Express - effectively no breakfast, no coffee in lobby or BF area (coffee makers in room). Signs everywhere about social distancing, etc. Hotel empty except me and some serious fishermen with go fast bass boats in parking lot.

Ate breakfast at Waffle House - 3 customers and 5 workers on s Saturday morning at 730AM. Workers wearing masks. None of customers including me wearing masks.

I was a very active traveler domestic and international for work prior to COVID - this was first trip since the lockdowns.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    That’s pretty much my observation as well. In my AO, people, in the beginning, wanted to follow the guidelines set forth by medical professionals as much as possible. However, as this crisis became more and more politicized by cynical politicians and their media pals, and the double standards more and more brazen, people are saying the hell with it and going about their lives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Public Health officials have lost all credibility. Most people will get this virus. 2% will be hospitalized 0.5% will die. That is just how it is going to be. In retrospect, trying to hold it back just led to a bunch of economic damage and it didn’t do much anyway. The curve was flattened. Now buckle up.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Interesting, I hadn't really thought of the people headed inside because of temperature thing. Partly because it hasn't really been that hot down here yet, really had a lot of rain in the past few weeks with temperatures in the low 80s.

From a personal observation only standpoint, the big thing I'm seeing is that nobody, and I mean nobody, is taking precautions anymore. I went into my local gun store today to get some plinking ammo and the place was absolutely packed. Nobody was paying attention to the 6-foot Rule and I was the only customer wearing a mask. Probably over a hundred people in a small building.

Also had a lot of protests, demonstrations, Etc with no one caring about precautions

Curious to see what's going to happen in the fall.
    You're going to die sooner or later. Sorry, but I had to tell you that.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    People are just done with the virus. Too bad the virus doesn't seem to be done with us yet.
    That is evident from the spike in some states like AZ, TX and FL. Just forget about it and see where your state economy ends up. Governors should be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    In my view, it’s all about lack of education of the public, and essentially no public service messaging to give that education and influence behavior. I see it as a systematic failure by the public health system at the local, state, and federal level. This is a real case where good policy, and good messaging of that policy, can literally save lives. But there is no coherent policy, and therefore no messaging.
    It’s really pathetic.
    Did you say federal? We have lots of messaging from local agencies. Even some restrictions from the state to counties about when they can open 100%. Nobody in this state is there yet. Businesses who do disregard state restrictions loose their license and are heavily fined. Economic fallout is heavy. We're leading the country in unemployment. I know people who have either lost their jobs or furloughed.

But at least we aren't climbing the covid hit parade charts like AZ, TX and FL. That's its own kind of special hell. Might be a real estate opportunity, who knows. Boomers dying from covid.
    Last edited by Borderland; 06-20-2020 at 09:31 PM.

It ain't over yet--in the past week, we have seen a significant rise in COVID cases compared to the previous month.

Patients at the East Coast hospital two of our kids work at continue to die daily.

Ignore prudent precautions at your peril....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

If you are planning to get any elective surgeries in AZ, you better get it on soon. Our hospital network is talking weekly about ramping down surgeries to preserve beds. Hopefully the recent mandate to wear masks in public in the Phoenix metro area will help stunt the growth of cases.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

From a personal observation only standpoint, the big thing I'm seeing is that nobody, and I mean nobody, is taking precautions anymore.
    Indeed. I shot a match today. This was at the range that about one month ago required masks on everyone except when running the stage. Now, with state in an officially more "relaxed" status, they can't mandate, only recommend. Maybe 15 people out of 69 wore masks. Nobody except me sanitized the timer or tablet, so I stopped handling those at all.

Comparing to one month ago, when everyone was forced to wear masks to be able to participate,

- Our state's % positive / tested has doubled.
    - My hospital's ICU has been running near or at full census for a couple of weeks now. I continue to check the ICU census before deciding on a motorcycle ride. Don't want to crash ever at all, and even less so if we have no capacity for anything critical.
    - When I needed an ECMO for a patient on Wednesday, the place where we'd send these people to for further care had no spare ECMOs available.

I am wearing N95 and going through sanitizer almost as fast as through beer. At this point I wish that the state would just lift all restrictions altogether. Maybe we all would learn something.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

That's humans for you. We do have that tendency to adapt and get complacent in regards to potential dangers.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List