Page 540 of 725 FirstFirst ... 40440490530538539540541542550590640 ... LastLast
Results 5,391 to 5,400 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

We are seeing record numbers of cases, as well as record numbers of deaths in both my region as well as state wide.

Can't say that I've seen stats on ages.

Our ICU has its largest number of cases now, and expected mortality for them is 50%.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I spoke to my board certified infectious disease doctor brother in law at length yesterday.

• You are probably going to get the coronavirus and live.
    • People in their 30’s and 40’s that are healthy have a 0.4% chance of dying from it
    • children are the worst carriers of this as they will probably not notice having it, hence schools will probably be closed soon in some areas
    • the two week incubation period means we do NOT have a complete picture of where this is and therefore when a person presents with symptoms, they’ve already spread it for two weeks
    • this will be viable on surfaces for 14-21 days
    • china didn’t beat this virus, rather the people that were susceptible did die and the rest developed immunities to it
    • masks don’t help, only washing hands helps
    • Yes, this will die down in the US due to rising temps, but don’t forget the season in the Southern Hemisphere
    Some of this seems remarkably prescient at this stage of the contagion. Especially the bolded parts. I don't think the surface viability has proven as durable as this prediction.

I find it interesting that it has stabilized to decreased at higher latitudes as people have gone outside more, and gotten worse in the South and Southwest where people have headed inside due to high temps. Anyhoo. I have decided not to worry a heck of a lot about it anymore. Wash hands, mask in public places or when in enclosed spaces such as my office seeing patients, avoid large public gatherings especially indoors, and get on with life.

You bastards are out to get me...I won't forget this.

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

I find it interesting that it has stabilized to decreased at higher latitudes as people have gone outside more, and gotten worse in the South and Southwest where people have headed inside due to high temps.
    Interesting, I hadn't really thought of the people headed inside because of temperature thing. Partly because it hasn't really been that hot down here yet, really had a lot of rain in the past few weeks with temperatures in the low 80s.

From a personal observation only standpoint, the big thing I'm seeing is that nobody, and I mean nobody, is taking precautions anymore. I went into my local gun store today to get some plinking ammo and the place was absolutely packed. Nobody was paying attention to the 6-foot Rule and I was the only customer wearing a mask. Probably over a hundred people in a small building.

Also had a lot of protests, demonstrations, Etc with no one caring about precautions

Curious to see what's going to happen in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Interesting, I hadn't really thought of the people headed inside because of temperature thing. Partly because it hasn't really been that hot down here yet, really had a lot of rain in the past few weeks with temperatures in the low 80s.

From a personal observation only standpoint, the big thing I'm seeing is that nobody, and I mean nobody, is taking precautions anymore. I went into my local gun store today to get some plinking ammo and the place was absolutely packed. Nobody was paying attention to the 6-foot Rule and I was the only customer wearing a mask. Probably over a hundred people in a small building.

Also had a lot of protests, demonstrations, Etc with no one caring about precautions

Curious to see what's going to happen in the fall.
    People are just done with the virus. Too bad the virus doesn't seem to be done with us yet.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    People are just done with the virus. Too bad the virus doesn't seem to be done with us yet.
    Ayup...

It totally blows me away. We are a nation of idiots.

From a personal observation only standpoint, the big thing I'm seeing is that nobody, and I mean nobody, is taking precautions anymore.
    What is crazy to me is that I live in an apartment complex with a lot of people who work at our medical campus, which is nearby. The only people I see wearing masks are delivery people and nurses/residents/etc going to/from the campus. The rising MS2s in our MSTP just posted a bunch of photos of them hiking together, all very close together, no masks, carpooling...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Ayup...

It totally blows me away. We are a nation of idiots.
    In my view, it’s all about lack of education of the public, and essentially no public service messaging to give that education and influence behavior. I see it as a systematic failure by the public health system at the local, state, and federal level. This is a real case where good policy, and good messaging of that policy, can literally save lives. But there is no coherent policy, and therefore no messaging.
    It’s really pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    In my view, it’s all about lack of education of the public, and essentially no public service messaging to give that education and influence behavior. I see it as a systematic failure by the public health system at the local, state, and federal level. This is a real case where good policy, and good messaging of that policy, can literally save lives. But there is no coherent policy, and therefore no messaging.
    It’s really pathetic.
    I think that some, maybe even most, are trying. However these days other issues are being presented as more important.

Site Supporter
    I think that some, maybe even most, are trying. However these days other issues are being presented as more important.
    Perhaps, but the lack of messaging and public education was a huge gap long before Memorial Day.

Site Supporter
    I think the publics response is due to the double standard of the politicians and media. "Stay home, people at Church are going straight to jail, etc." Then the streets are filled with protestors shoulder to shoulder and that is "ok" but again do not go to church on Sunday. It is either an issue or not but the obvious double standard has gotten everyone to say to heck with it.

User Tag List