Page 517 of 725 FirstFirst ... 17417467507515516517518519527567617 ... LastLast
Results 5,161 to 5,170 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Do we know if this was real idiocy or some sort of trolling/parody?
    My thought was nobody could actually be that friggin' stupid...but that's clearly not true. So, I dunno. (And Florida...)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm still puzzled as to why Papua New Guinea wasn't, and so far hasn't been seriously hit by this thing.
    -Social distancing is at nil or less.
    -Travel is frequent, with long road trips involving packed vans being the norm.
    -Travel to and from China was absolutely frequent up until March
    -Cross border smuggling from Indonesia is frequent.

I mentioned it before, and I'm still wondering.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm still puzzled as to why Papua New Guinea wasn't, and so far hasn't been seriously hit by this thing.
    -Social distancing is at nil or less.
    -Travel is frequent, with long road trips involving packed vans being the norm.
    -Travel to and from China was absolutely frequent up until March
    -Cross border smuggling from Indonesia is frequent.

I mentioned it before, and I'm still wondering.
    way fewer people traveling between Wuhan and Papua New Guinea. There is a massive air travel corridor between Wuhan and the US and Wuhan and Europe.

Plus, PNG banned people from asian countries from even coming into the country by late january. So honestly they probably stopped it from even taking hold thanks to decisive early action mixed with some good fortune.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    In Vitro Efficacy of Povidone-Iodine Nasal And Oral Antiseptic Preparations Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

"Introduction:Improved antisepsis of human and non-human surfaces has been identified as a key feature of transmission reduction. There are no previous studies of povidone-iodine (PVP-I) against SARS-CoV-2. This study evaluated nasal and oral antiseptic formulations of povidone-iodine (PVP-I) for virucidal activity against SARS-CoV-2. This is the first report on the efficacy of PVP-I against the virus that causes COVID-19."

"Results: All concentrations of nasal antiseptics and oral rinse antiseptics evaluated completely inactivated the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Conclusions: Nasal and oral PVP-I antiseptic solutions are effective at inactivating the SARS-CoV-2 virus at a variety of concentrations after 60s exposure times. The formulations tested may help to reduce the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 if used for nasal decontamination, oral decontamination or surface decontamination in known or suspected cases of COVID-19."
    Where do I get some?
    https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...c-brochure.pdf

eBay has some expired swabs... https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-of-15-M...IAAOSwwolegPXy
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Came back to work today after a few days off caring for my wife after a surgery.

We are now at our highest number of covid patients in ICU. More than back at the original spike.

Interestingly enough, we are still operating at near normal levels. By that I mean we are still doing elective surgery, which was not the case back in April.

We've had to put an extra icu doc both during days as well as nights.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Came back to work today after a few days off caring for my wife after a surgery.

We are now at our highest number of covid patients in ICU. More than back at the original spike.

Interestingly enough, we are still operating at near normal levels. By that I mean we are still doing elective surgery, which was not the case back in April.

We've had to put an extra icu doc both during days as well as nights.
    Yikes. Our census was downtrending as of 2 weeks ago - missed last weeks' pulm mtg. I'll jump on the call tomorrow and see what's happening here.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Povidine-Iodine is a pretty common hand cleanser used in in the soap/brush packs that surgeons use to 'scrub in.' I really liked it myself when I was rotating thru GYN OR because the giant yellow stain it left on your arms helped you more readily tell that you'd covered both arms and hands. I would think this property would be less than desirable outside of the OR, when you don't have a sink to wash it off and aren't wearing employer-provided pajamas...

Sweden’s coronavirus experiment has well and truly failed

"More than 4,000 people have died in a country of ten million. For seven of the last 14 days, Sweden has had the highest number of deaths per capita in the world. “Sweden hasn’t changed very much at all,” says Paul Franks, an epidemiologist at Lund University. “But because things have changed in other countries, you’ve noticed the change in the relative death rates.” The comparison is particularly stark when compared to Sweden’s neighbours, which have similar cultural practices and healthcare systems – it has almost four times as many deaths as Norway, Finland and Denmark combined.

So what went wrong? How did Sweden go from a poster child for the lockdown skeptics to one of the worst-hit countries in Europe?"

However

Norway health chief: lockdown was not needed to tame Covid

"the Norwegian public health authority has published a report with a striking conclusion: the virus was never spreading as fast as had been feared and was already on the way out when lockdown was ordered. ‘It looks as if the effective reproduction rate had already dropped to around 1.1 when the most comprehensive measures were implemented on 12 March, and that there would not be much to push it down below 1… We have seen in retrospect that the infection was on its way down.’"

The report is in Norwegian so I can't read it.

If I understand things correctly (and I could easily be wrong), the virus not reproducing as fast as theorized is a big part of why Sweden's "herd immunity" approach failed.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Numbers keep going up.

Supposedly if we get one more patient in ICU, then back to no OR's for elective cases.

Haven't heard any contingency plans from Raleigh as of now.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Numbers keep going up.

Supposedly if we get one more patient in ICU, then back to no OR's for elective cases.

Haven't heard any contingency plans from Raleigh as of now.
    On our divisional call now.

In our university branded healthcare system, numbers are still down from peak (from ~60 COVID + ICU patients to ~40) but sort of holding steady over the last month.

Div head expressed concern that we'll get spike of cases in about 2 weeks time because of all of the protests + close proximity w/o masks. We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    On our divisional call now.

In our university branded healthcare system, numbers are still down from peak (from ~60 COVID + ICU patients to ~40) but sort of holding steady over the last month.

Div head expressed concern that we'll get spike of cases in about 2 weeks time because of all of the protests + close proximity w/o masks. We shall see...
    We recently started relaxing regulations in our state. And furthermore I live down at the coast so we are now starting to see tourist come in for the spring / summer.

Can't wait to see where this is going

User Tag List