Page 333 of 530 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343383433 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,330 of 5294

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Totally fair question, I have no idea, but you can't discount the ability to set up field hospitals, house people in rooms that aren't a regular hospital bed etc. I have no doubt they will find the space to use the machines if needed. The alternative is to let people drown in their own fluid...
    What I'm especially concerned about is shortage of staffing - not just vents. Like @ccmdfd mentioned, these patients are very sick and require a lot of attention and medical care beyond simply their vent settings.

Ventilators are simply a very stark go/no go bottleneck. If you're out of vents and a new patient needs one, there is no way that someone does not die unless they can be transferred somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Ventilators are simply a very stark go/no go bottleneck. If you're out of vents and a new patient needs one, there is no way that someone does not die unless they can be transferred somewhere else.
    "For want of a nail..."
    Dare to speak the truth

Live on the conference call now.

According to our division chief (outgoing president of ATS, the american pulmonary/critical care professional society), the Cornell Weill health system has 260 intubated COVID patients. 80 intubated COVID patients at NY Presby alone.

@ccmdfd

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Live on the conference call now.

According to our division chief (outgoing president of ATS, the american pulmonary/critical care professional society), the Cornell Weill health system has 260 intubated COVID patients. 80 intubated COVID patients at NY Presby alone.

@ccmdfd
    Ouch!!!

We just got our 1st two ICU patients with confirmed disease. One of them was a nursing home resident.

cc

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    For those skeptical about the numbers from China......
    ---------------------------------------------

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...-then-positive
    Iíll add just one more quote for those who donít click the link:

In February, Wang Chen, a director at the state-run Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, estimated that the nucleic acid tests used in China were accurate at identifying positive cases of the coronavirus only 30%-50% of the time.

Site Supporter
    Lessons learned

Name:  4F6E47F6-4E95-43DB-A097-CB01F32BEAF9.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  41.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Well, I would like to hear some reasoning on why that many vents would be needed. Not saying they aren't, just want some justification.
    If you follow NY Gov Cuomo conferences they have addressed this, I've been following NY & NJ Gov's news conferences because I figure what they are going through now is what we here in midwest will be experiencing soon.

Short version all the models they have from CDC etc for peak wave of people needing medical intervention suggest they will need that many vents.

They are keeping the bulk of them in centralized storage because it functions akin to military reserve forces that you keep back to plug into the breaches.

There is no way to know ahead of time if this hospital will need 100 vents and that one 150.

HTH

@Nephrology, or @pangloss , or anyone who might know:
    Conference call with State health officials last night, they asked if he had been around cattle. They are stating that it can jump to cattle. This could be very bad news indeed if true. Certainly in my state at least.
    "And for a regular dude Iím maybe okay...but what I learned is if thereís a door, Iím going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Gov Cuomo admits NY has ventilators in stockpile:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...d-ventilators/

Better, if available...

Name:  Hook.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  46.4 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List