Page 194 of 725 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195196204244294694 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If you're still goin to a public gym right now, you're outta your mind.
    Got the following in an email from my Gym. No lack of Docs in there working out and a couple Veterinarians. I walked up to one of the guys I know (It's rare to see him not reading the New England Journal of Medicine and taking notes between sets) and said, "I guess we are okay". At first he was perplexed. Then I said, "Well you are here in this petri dish of sweat & germs so this virus stuff can't be that bad." He laughed and wasn't too concerned about the virus.

Dear Members, March 2020

Your health is our top priority. We are a fitness center afterall! With the growing concerns statewide and nationally, we wanted to take a moment to address the issues related to COVID-19. We believe it is important to review our cleaning procedures and make some recommendations to our customers in the hope that you will feel both reassured and empowered.

In order to keep our facilities looking clean and protect against the spread of bacteria and germs, we:
    Have a daytime cleaning crew to sanitize surfaces, equipment, and the gym floors using disinfectant cleaning supplies throughout each day.
    Have a nighttime cleaning crew each night to clean and sanitize more deeply.
    Provide disinfectant spray and paper towels with the expectation that members clean the equipment after each use.
    Provide hand sanitizer for use before, during or after workouts.

What you can do in the fitness centers:
    Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water before and after your workouts.
    Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
    Use the provided disinfectant spray on the equipment.
    Avoid coming to the fitness center if you have been sick and have not been fever-free and/or symptom-free for more than 24 hours.

If you, or members of your household, are sick, you should stay home.

And lastly...Don’t Avoid the Gym During the Coronavirus Outbreak. Check out this article!

Be well,

https://time.com/5795492/gym-fitness...irus/?amp=true

MA has instituted a state of emergency, shut down schools, and banned gatherings of 250+ people...

but there are literally lines out the door out of every bar in Boston due to st patricks day weekend, and a fuck ton of people still mingling about at places like starbucks and whatnot

Can't wait to see the COVID-19 hospitalization stats in the next 2 weeks

If you're still goin to a public gym right now, you're outta your mind.
    literally have never felt so justified to have spent 2k plus on a home gym then right now..

Was debating whether to share this or not earlier since it is quite a downer, but figured it actually might help some of you get through to loved ones to treat this seriously. Video of a guy in N Italy comparing the obituaries from Feb to now.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/https://twitter.com/benphillips76/status/1238854071509016577

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    literally have never felt so justified to have spent 2k plus on a home gym then right now..
    Totally. My bench, dumbbells, and stationary bike are carrying me through. Going to gym only to swim in chlorine.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Dude, you are in for a really rude awakening very, very soon.

Of all the countries struggling with this right now, the USA in many ways is the very least prepared to handle this. Your faith in our healthcare system is extremely misplaced.

Healthcare personnel/1st responders are going to have to keep working through this to keep our lives together, unfortunately. If your wife is in an outpatient practice, I am hoping that they are canceling all non-urgent visits.
    I hope I'm right and I hope you're wrong.

Site Supporter

Insights on Self Care?

Any insights regarding self-care if you catch it? I mean, beyond the normal treatment for colds/flu.

I figure anxiety is bad... I'm working on that.

Is it helpful to take Tamiflu at first symptoms, or is to too late with a virus that is asymptomatic for >5 days? (I have a course on hand in my travel kit)
    Regarding Tamiflu specifically.... If more than one of us gets the virus, is one course of Tamiflu shareable or does splitting the course make it pointless?

This sort of stuff...

Lifestyle and home remedies

If you do come down with the flu, these measures may help ease your symptoms:

• Drink plenty of liquids. Choose water, juice and warm soups to prevent dehydration.
    • Rest. Get more sleep to help your immune system fight infection. You may need to change your activity level, depending on your symptoms.
    • Consider pain relievers. Use an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others), to combat the achiness associated with influenza. Children and teens recovering from flu-like symptoms should never take aspirin because of the risk of Reye's syndrome, a rare but potentially fatal condition.

What NOT to do if you have the flu

Don’t take antibiotics: A virus causes the flu, and only antiviral medications can treat a virus. Antibiotics treat bacterial infections.

Don’t lie flat:
    With symptoms like high fever, aches and chills, resting during the flu is very important, but lying down makes it harder on the lungs. Propping your head up will make it easier to clear the lungs.

Don’t take a cold shower to reduce fever: Taking a cold shower or ice bath to reduce the flu actually has the opposite effect. Instead, lukewarm water can help break a fever.
    Thanks again to all the Docs/SME's posting here.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Any insights regarding self-care if you catch it? I mean, beyond the normal treatment for colds/flu.

I figure anxiety is bad... I'm working on that.

Is it helpful to take Tamiflu at first symptoms, or is to too late with a virus that is asymptomatic for >5 days? (I have a course on hand in my travel kit)
    Regarding Tamiflu specifically.... If more than one of us gets the virus, is one course of Tamiflu shareable or does splitting the course make it pointless?

This sort of stuff...

Thanks again to all the Docs/SME's posting here.
    Plenty of fluids, and keep in mind that should not be cola, beer, or other things which will actually dehydrate you.

I like to take a rotation of tylenol and advil, and for the first few days take them even if you feel ok. I like to prevent the fever and chills from coming back, rather than have to suffer from them while you're waiting for the meds to kick in. Only take advil with food on your stomach and make sure you don't have a contraindication to it like kidney failure, bleeding ulcers, etc.

Hot showers. or at least sit in the bathroom with the doors closed and the shower on hot. get some moisture into your lungs to help break up the mucus. mucinex also helps with this.

cc

At the link. Italians sing to deserted streets

https://www.insider.com/italy-lockdo...DmGApzo1W0Dabo
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Keep in mind our numbers are substantially reduced because of our limited testing capacity. I would basically take existing case numbers and multiply by at least 10 for an estimate of how many are truly out there. SK, on the other hand, is testing 10k people a day, and their case numbers are likely much close to the real deal.
    The director of the Ohio Department of health said at the gov's news conference on Thursday that she thinks there might be 100k cases in Ohio right now.

I've seen the quote, but not the context. I believe she was basing that on epidemiological modelling.

I'm my department's Designated Infection Control Officer. It's all Corona, all the time for me right now.

I'm hoping now that we have the staff more or less up to speed that we can start reaching out to our ECFs and senior citizen housing to see what we can do to help keep this out of them.

My supplies of toilet paper are adequate, but I haven't been willing to go anywhere near a grocery store during liquor agency hours and I could use some emotional support bourbon.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List