Page 698 of 725 FirstFirst ... 198598648688696697698699700708 ... LastLast
Results 6,971 to 6,980 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If COVID is as bad as it is portrayed to be, seems like there would be more US and International pressure on CCP. China purposely or accidentally released a bio-weapon on the world and caused enormous human suffering. At a minimum, they were not forthcoming on COVID such that the world could prepare. Why is China being given a pass?
    Short version: Because people want their cheap counterfeit widgets from Amazon.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Short version: Because people want their cheap counterfeit widgets from Amazon.
    We all need more thinly veiled knockoffs with nonsensical made up brand names.

No kidding, I went looking on Amazon the other day for a brand name item. None to be found, but I got lots of obvious knockoff products in my search results. I'm seriously considering not renewing Prime and walking away from Amazon. I already look for alternatives elsewhere before I buy something from them and only relent when their price is significantly lower or the delivery time is much shorter and I legitimately need it quickly. There are some items I simply won't buy from them no matter the price due to the likelihood of counterfeits.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

No kidding, I went looking on Amazon the other day for a brand name item. None to be found, but I got lots of obvious knockoff products in my search results. I'm seriously considering not renewing Prime and walking away from Amazon. I already look for alternatives elsewhere before I buy something from them and only relent when their price is significantly lower or the delivery time is much shorter and I legitimately need it quickly. There are some items I simply won't buy from them no matter the price due to the likelihood of counterfeits.
    Same thing happened to me this week. The knockoff names are hilarious.

I'm also starting to wean myself off Amazon. I've gotten a few items that we junkier than junk. I've also read how they copy items sold on their website, then crush the original producer. They can also crush the specialty stores. They also carry products that are known to be dangerous, but they ignore efforts to get them off their website, or they pop up under different names. Amazon is so large they can't control their own goods. I'm all for the free market, but it works both ways, i.e., I have a choice where I spend my money.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Same thing happened to me this week. The knockoff names are hilarious.

I'm also starting to wean myself off Amazon. I've gotten a few items that we junkier than junk. I've also read how they copy items sold on their website, then crush the original producer. They can also crush the specialty stores. They also carry products that are known to be dangerous, but they ignore efforts to get them off their website, or they pop up under different names. Amazon is so large they can't control their own goods. I'm all for the free market, but it works both ways, i.e., I have a choice where I spend my money.
    Yeah, I got a super LOL crappy fake MBUS pro front sight via amazon once. Never again. The only gun stuff I will get through amazon now are batteries and targets. Anything that goes on an actual firearm I'd rather buy from a 2A supporting business that will sell me the real article. Don't want to send more money Bezos' way.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    If COVID is as bad as it is portrayed to be, seems like there would be more US and International pressure on CCP. China purposely or accidentally released a bio-weapon on the world and caused enormous human suffering. At a minimum, they were not forthcoming on COVID such that the world could prepare. Why is China being given a pass?
    Your question seems premised on the assumption that COVID is a bioweapon. That is by no means proven, as far as I know.

Second, the idea that the Chinese bureaucracy tried to cover up the initial outbreak is entirely consistent with something like two thousands years of Chinese history. People tend to not be rewarded for bringing bad news to the emperor, be it Emperor Qin or President Xu. They realy don't get rewarded for making the leadership look bad.

As to why China is being given a pass, assuming that they are, I refer you to the old rule of "Money talks". I'm not sure what pass is being given, but that's probably not germane to this particular thread.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Your question seems premised on the assumption that COVID is a bioweapon. That is by no means proven, as far as I know.
    Evidence seems to indicate that the wet-market story is a fabrication and that it did escape from a Chinese lab. Millions of people have died because of that. Now it being an intentional release seems rather unlikely, but lack of intent doesn't make it any less of a weapon than a gun stops being a weapon because someone ADs it.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Evidence seems to indicate that the wet-market story is a fabrication and that it did escape from a Chinese lab.
    Nothing resembling evidence that I have seen to date supports this notion.

I had this thought that if Amazon and Walmart disappeared tomorrow and people had to all of a sudden find everything they needed/wanted made in the US, our economy would collapse. The US doesn't make much of anything anymore in the way of consumer goods and it would be years before US industry could meet the demand. Prices for just about everything we purchase would increase substantially and many things wouldn't be available.

An example is a carburetor for a 2 cycle chainsaw engine. Try to find one of those that's made in the US. The problem is a lot of OEM parts are sourced offshore, even for US manufactured goods, so those companies don't us US parts.

I try to buy items made in the US but it's hard. So what's the answer, do I just forget buying it? Most people won't do that.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-29-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Nothing resembling evidence that I have seen to date supports this notion.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...an-11587486996
    https://2017-2021.state.gov/fact-she...gy//index.html

Not proven, but it seems to be likelier than not from circumstantial evidence. I doubt anyone outside the Chinese government will ever know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Chris
    I dumped Amazon Prime after being a member for 10+ years. The knock-offs and garbage they sell had a lot to do with it.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List