Page 718 of 725 FirstFirst ... 218618668708716717718719720 ... LastLast
Results 7,171 to 7,180 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

A great friend in Singapore says they have access to Pf and Mod. He’s under 50 and it just opened to his group — he’s scheduled for shot one EOM. I will go there the moment they let me.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    A month+ after Vax #2 and I just can't bring myself to go back to the gym. Definitely COVID block. It's about the only thing I've not resumed doing.
    My gym is currently mask-optional for customers. Required for employees. I suppose I just need to suck it up, plan a short workout and see how I feel about it.
    Just some anecdotal observations so take it for what it's worth. I've been working as a covid case investigator since November, so I've had the chance to interview a little over 400 people who have covid. I have personally interviewed breakthrough cases for fully vaccinated people with all three vaccine types at this point, probably 4-5 total. Those are small numbers but the fact that I've even run into that many personally is a little concerning. That said, none of them were symptomatic whatsoever, except for one woman with a slight runny nose. Also worth noting is that every one of them had a high degree of exposure. Three were healthcare workers working directly with covid patients and the rest were living with/caring for a sick family member.

I've also interviewed a fair few partially vaccinated people (either only one dose, or both but not two weeks after the second). The same can be said of them. I have yet to see anyone who has had even a single shot get severely symptomatic. Most have experienced mild cold symptoms or nothing at all. This group includes a 95 year old with prior respiratory issues and other underlying conditions.

Conversely, amongst the unvaccinated I have been noticing younger people having much more severe symptoms over the last month or so. Most college kids would have the sniffles before, but now, plenty are being knocked right on their ass like they were in their 50's. Nothing fatal, but certainly a bad time. The only thing I can think of there is that a new variant is becoming more prevalent in my area, but something seems different, even from two months ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    Just some anecdotal observations so take it for what it's worth. I've been working as a covid case investigator since November, so I've had the chance to interview a little over 400 people who have covid. I have personally interviewed breakthrough cases for fully vaccinated people with all three vaccine types at this point, probably 4-5 total. Those are small numbers but the fact that I've even run into that many personally is a little concerning. That said, none of them were symptomatic whatsoever, except for one woman with a slight runny nose. Also worth noting is that every one of them had a high degree of exposure. Three were healthcare workers working directly with covid patients and the rest were living with/caring for a sick family member.

I've also interviewed a fair few partially vaccinated people (either only one dose, or both but not two weeks after the second). The same can be said of them. I have yet to see anyone who has had even a single shot get severely symptomatic. Most have experienced mild cold symptoms or nothing at all. This group includes a 95 year old with prior respiratory issues and other underlying conditions.

Conversely, amongst the unvaccinated I have been noticing younger people having much more severe symptoms over the last month or so. Most college kids would have the sniffles before, but now, plenty are being knocked right on their ass like they were in their 50's. Nothing fatal, but certainly a bad time. The only thing I can think of there is that a new variant is becoming more prevalent in my area, but something seems different, even from two months ago.
    I’ve been wondering if some of these newer and more severe cases in younger folks might be a second exposure after having an extremely mild or asymptomatic case last year that went untested and therefore undiagnosed.

Have you seen many people who have been infected twice?

I did see numbers this morning where we’ve had 200 confirmed cases of infection post vax in Alabama, but I don’t know anything about severity of those cases.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’ve been wondering if some of these newer and more severe cases in younger folks might be a second exposure after having an extremely mild or asymptomatic case last year that went untested and therefore undiagnosed.

Have you seen many people who have been infected twice?

I did see numbers this morning where we’ve had 200 confirmed cases of infection post vax in Alabama, but I don’t know anything about severity of those cases.
    I haven't personally run into it. It's not unheard of. From my own observations it seems very rare, but I don't know that the tracking mechanisms are that great. At least in the database that I use, you'd have to go looking to see that information, it wouldn't pop out at you or naturally connect the dots. Someone in the data side of the house may be looking at that, but I don't routinely.

I'd be more likely to attribute it to a variant, because there was definitely a somewhat sudden shift during late february-march where the cases started feeling a little different. The area where I work has a large density of college students and you could defitely see a shift in many of their symptoms over that time period. Of a random sampling of 5 cases on the largest campus, 4 came back as B117, as well as traces of B117 in the city wastewater. We also saw an explosion of cases on that campus during that time where it had been relatively contained before.

Complicating the notion of re-infection is the fact that people can still test positive up to at least 90 days after having it. Persistent positives are definitely common. We see it a lot with workplaces that require a negative test to return to work, which we strongly advise against for that reason.
    Last edited by VT1032; 04-20-2021 at 08:08 AM.

In case anyone missed the Manaus, Brazil case:

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0...183-5/fulltext

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2170...ight-covid-19/

Extremely high reinfection rate despite an estimate of around 75% infection of total population in the first wave.

Here in South America we are increasingly dealing with the brazilian P1 variant which has a much higher reproduction rate, and likely higher reinfection rates.

I hope the vaccines will at least protect against severe cases with all the new variants and those that will no doubt come.

Hammertime
    So I and my 12 and 15 yo sons had a significant exposures two and three days ago during a scouts camp out. A kid in our van (carrying 9 kids and one adult) felt sick at the end of a two day camp out and tested positive. We all spent a total to 3 hours (two 1.5hr exposures) with this kid.

I am immunized. We are quarantining the boys. We all feel fine. Will see what happens.

Troop has notified all kids in the van and they are quarantining 14 days as well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    So I and my 12 and 15 yo sons had a significant exposures two and three days ago during a scouts camp out. A kid in our van (carrying 9 kids and one adult) felt sick at the end of a two day camp out and tested positive. We all spent a total to 3 hours (two 1.5hr exposures) with this kid.

I am immunized. We are quarantining the boys. We all feel fine. Will see what happens.

Troop has notified all kids in the van and they are quarantining 14 days as well.
    Prayers that everyone remains healthy and negative or at worst, mild.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Got my second shot of the Pfizer yesterday. Other than a "frogged" arm, no issues, like the flu shot for me (both shots).

My department had 5 people all get vaccinated at the same time with me.

Three of us had no effects at all, only one previously had tested positive for the virus. One feels like dog crap but still came in to work. One said he felt like death warmed over (my most dedicated employee by the way) and called in.

My wife had the Moderna shot last Friday and by late Friday night, she felt bad. Saturday, she said that she felt worse than when she actually HAD Covid, although by the end of the day she was feeling fine.

Medicine or policing... I'll put it here.

Seen on The High Road discussion of vaccination:
    "We could have signed up for the Pfizer shot, but our other med facility doing covid shots is in downtown GR (Grand Rapids) and they have been having problems with "peaceful demonstrators" assaulting people and doing some damage so we opted for Moderna out in the 'burbs."

Helluva note.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    My wife had the Moderna shot last Friday and by late Friday night, she felt bad. Saturday, she said that she felt worse than when she actually HAD Covid, although by the end of the day she was feeling fine.
    First or second shot? I had my first and felt ok. Second comes in a month.

User Tag List