Page 710 of 725 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712720 ... LastLast
Results 7,091 to 7,100 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    My brother (32 YOA) had an asymptomatic case of COVID. He's been hospitalized now over three weeks with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which they think may have been caused by the COVID infection. He cannot walk, can't use his hands, and his speech has been affected. He was otherwise healthy before this.
    I am sorry my man. That is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Moderna.
    Thanks. I only wondered because my wife works in a couple of hospital labs and they have found anecdotally that Moderna gives more after shot symptoms than Pfizer. Now their actual testing among employees has shown both are very high percentage for forming antibodies.

My brother (32 YOA) had an asymptomatic case of COVID. He's been hospitalized now over three weeks with Guillain-Barre Syndrome, which they think may have been caused by the COVID infection. He cannot walk, can't use his hands, and his speech has been affected. He was otherwise healthy before this.
    Incredible. Sorry to hear this.

Site Supporter

Hate to hear that. Hoping and praying for a full recovery.

Site Supporter
    Sorry to hear that. I'll say a prayer for his full and fast recovery.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear that. Hoping he gets better soon and makes a full recovery.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    @TC215 - Prayers sent for your brother's recovery.

Can anyone comment on this:

https://www.who.int/news-room/featur...u-need-to-know

How efficacious is the vaccine?

The Moderna vaccine has been shown to have an efficacy of approximately 92 per cent in protecting against COVID-19, starting 14 days after the first dose.
    I've seen various numbers thrown around, sometimes on reputable sites, sometimes not. Between 50-92% a couple weeks after the first dose. It seems like a lot of those numbers are dated back to the first of the year, though. The WHO's official, current, stance being 92% 14 days later is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Can anyone comment on this:

https://www.who.int/news-room/featur...u-need-to-know

I've seen various numbers thrown around, sometimes on reputable sites, sometimes not. Between 50-92% a couple weeks after the first dose. It seems like a lot of those numbers are dated back to the first of the year, though. The WHO's official, current, stance being 92% 14 days later is interesting.
    Everything I've read said that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were >90 percent effective 14 days after second dose. The numbers I most often have seen are that they are 92-95 percent effective. The information sheet I received from Kaiser Permanente with my vaccine says that Pfizer is 95 percent effective, and Moderna is 94 percent effective. That seems pretty consistent to me.

The J&J numbers are a bit more nuanced. IIRC, the J&J is ~67 percent effective against getting COVID, but is >90 percent effective against serious effects. My data sheet from Kaiser says that J&J is "93 percent effective with COVID-linked hospitalizations."

Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    Everything I've read said that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines were >90 percent effective 14 days after second dose. The numbers I most often have seen are that they are 92-95 percent effective. The information sheet I received from Kaiser Permanente with my vaccine says that Pfizer is 95 percent effective, and Moderna is 94 percent effective. That seems pretty consistent to me.

The J&J numbers are a bit more nuanced. IIRC, the J&J is ~67 percent effective against getting COVID, but is >90 percent effective against serious effects. My data sheet from Kaiser says that J&J is "93 percent effective with COVID-linked hospitalizations."
    Right. I think the final numbers, 2 weeks after the 2nd dose, have been pretty stable.

The unknown variable so far is how much of that protection is there 2 weeks after the first dose. A lot is up in the air, like how long immunity from the first dose would last without the 2nd/booster, etc. But seeing the WHO say you're getting most (nearly all) of the benefit as early as 2 weeks after the first dose seems like some good news.

That's not to say people should skip the 2nd dose.

User Tag List