Page 515 of 725 FirstFirst ... 15415465505513514515516517525565615 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,150 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    MickAK

Please outline you scientific training, education and experience. Knowing your educational background will help us all who are following this thread better understand the rationale for your positions to date.

To our more expert members, does the following sound right?

The Most Important COVID-19 Statistic: 43% Of U.S. Deaths Are From 0.6% Of The Population
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Because I am doing my PhD in the pulm world, I often think of 2 drugs you are probably familiar with too - Ofev and Esbriet. Let's just say that if the "cure" for COVID-19 works as well as either of those two, I'm not sure I'd take it.
    Oh yes. Two of my FAVORITE drugs, I use them ALL THE TIME. They work SO DARN WELL.

As I type that my wife is running as far away from me as she can to avoid being struck by lightning and I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Earlier in this thread I somewhat jokingly referred to bringing back Xigris.

I'm not exactly sure where you were in your training path when that happened. But when it was rolled out it was considered earth-shattering, holy gospel changing, oh my God we're going to save everybody study. Shortly thereafter came the surviving sepsis campaign. I'm pretty sure the pharmaceutical company that promoted Xigris was heavily involved and getting that up and running. Of course back then it was heavy into the use of Xigris as well as using the Rivers protocol.

For the lay people reading this, Xigris was one of if not the first medication specifically designed to treat severe sepsis and septic shock and the rivers protocol was basically a cookbook style approach to septic shock dealing with how much fluid to give, how to use vasopressors, blood transfusions and the like.

When the studies that promoted both of these approaches were published, they were considered paradigm-shifting, new gold standard of treatment, super awesome studies.

Yet a few years later when larger, better designed studies were applied to them, both were found to be ineffective if not actually harmful for patients. They both went the way of the dodo bird.

Anyway, that's a rather long-winded way of saying that when " great articles " are published in "well respected journals ", that often doesn't mean it's the end-all-be-all and absolute this is how it should be done kind of result. And furthermore that there is rarely a Magic Bullet that's going to fix something as complicated as sepsis, ARDS, Etc

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    Oh yes. Two of my FAVORITE drugs, I use them ALL THE TIME. They work SO DARN WELL.

As I type that my wife is running as far away from me as she can to avoid being struck by lightning and I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Earlier in this thread I somewhat jokingly referred to bringing back Xigris.

I'm not exactly sure where you were in your training path when that happened. But when it was rolled out it was considered earth-shattering, holy gospel changing, oh my God we're going to save everybody study. Shortly thereafter came the surviving sepsis campaign. I'm pretty sure the pharmaceutical company that promoted Xigris was heavily involved and getting that up and running. Of course back then it was heavy into the use of Xigris as well as using the Rivers protocol.
    Xigris is a bit before my time but I'm familiar with the story. Much more familiar with the surviving sepsis/EGDT controversy. A great case study of overconfidence in our understanding of complex multisystem disease.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post

Lol. Their ads were plastered all over ATS 2018 and 2019, if you happened to attend... Having read a couple of the study papers when I joined the lab (original project was more pulmonary fibrosis flavored), it was strange (but, unsurprising) to see them front and center at the biggest pulm conference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

Lol. Their ads were plastered all over ATS 2018 and 2019, if you happened to attend... Having read a couple of the study papers when I joined the lab (original project was more pulmonary fibrosis flavored), it was strange (but, unsurprising) to see them front and center at the biggest pulm conference in the world.
    Bet if you asked ATS (American Thoracic Society for those not in the industry) to reveal their sponsors for that conference ranked from highest paid to lowest, those two drug companies would be #1 and 2.

Funny thing is, I don't know any pulmonolgists who actively promote those, other than the paid speakers. It's quite rare for me to send a patient up to Duke or UNC for evaluation for transplant or experimental therapies to come back on either one. So they must not think too highly of them.

You would think from the way that they are promoted, that they are a simple, safe, effective cure for all lung cancer. Well pulmonary fibrosis in this case.

It's also kind of a bad sign if the drug company gives you a free bottle of Immodium to go with their product.

cc

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

In Vitro Efficacy of Povidone-Iodine Nasal And Oral Antiseptic Preparations Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome-Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

"Introduction:Improved antisepsis of human and non-human surfaces has been identified as a key feature of transmission reduction. There are no previous studies of povidone-iodine (PVP-I) against SARS-CoV-2. This study evaluated nasal and oral antiseptic formulations of povidone-iodine (PVP-I) for virucidal activity against SARS-CoV-2. This is the first report on the efficacy of PVP-I against the virus that causes COVID-19."

"Results: All concentrations of nasal antiseptics and oral rinse antiseptics evaluated completely inactivated the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Conclusions: Nasal and oral PVP-I antiseptic solutions are effective at inactivating the SARS-CoV-2 virus at a variety of concentrations after 60s exposure times. The formulations tested may help to reduce the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 if used for nasal decontamination, oral decontamination or surface decontamination in known or suspected cases of COVID-19."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    From IU:

https://interestingengineering.com/s...us-studies-say

Self-Disinfecting, 'Electric' Face Masks Reportedly Kill Coronavirus, Studies Say

Coronavirus particles can attach to personal protective equipment (PPE) surfaces — lying in wait for a chance brush of the hand on its way to the mouth or an eye. But a team of researchers from Indiana University (IU) have recently published a study in a pre-print website that purports to demonstrate an electric fabric capable of killing coronaviruses.
    Notably, this kind of fabric is already in use across a wide spectrum of antimicrobial wound care dressing kits.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Some of our states have covid-19 deaths exceeding China's coronavirus deaths, and the reason is not clear to me unless it would be their forced quarantine of a region. Any other explanations?
    Last edited by willie; 05-30-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Some of our states have covid-19 deaths exceeding China's coronavirus deaths, and the reason is not clear to me unless it would be their forced quarantine of a region. Any other explanations?
    Maybe China is faking their numbers?

User Tag List