Page 224 of 725 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224225226234274324724 ... LastLast
Results 2,231 to 2,240 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Brutal...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Brutal...
    "Nighthaw....". Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    "Nighthaw....". Oops.
    maybe just "night"

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Brutal...
    Terribly sorry - I'm not cultured... What am I looking at?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Terribly sorry - I'm not cultured... What am I looking at?
    Name:  34B978A0-1ABB-4638-91E3-82C483B9FFE7.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  41.2 KB

“Nighthawks”, Edward Hopper, 1942

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/111628/nighthawks

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It seems that the only instruction given by schools to parents and students was, "Don't come back here. Other than that, do whatever you want."

I live near a park, and this past weekend and today have been some of the most social group-filled times I can remember when there wasn't an organized birthday party or something. Kids are taking the extended spring break as a great opportunity to socialize, rather than do social distancing, and the parents all seem to think that's great, because they're not in the house. Hanging out in big groups like one doesn't normally see.

I thought kids these days just wanted to sit around texting each other. C'mon, this is sooo the time for that.

We are scrood.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Just to throw out an idea for anyone who is interested-- I buy Miller lpr-100 respirators because I weld and fabricate a lot. These could come in handy for people needing to make runs to the grocery store and wanting to absolutely minimize chances for exposure. And you wouldn't be robbing the medical community of desperately needed supplies!

I use welding respirators both for work and for projects at home. I'm exposed to hexavalent chromium whenever stainless is involved, and regular welding fumes are full of things you don't want in your lungs. These are made to filter hexavalent chromium gas and all sorts of bad stuff.

In my experience, the rubber seals on both Miller and 3-M half face respirators seal WAY more reliably than any of the disposable face masks. If needs be, you can really crank down on the adjustment straps because they are quite robust. They are rated p100, which I believe well exceeds the n95 stuff they are using in the medical field. Also, I have to believe they would be easier to sanitize for reuse compared to the disposable kind, although that's pure conjecture on my part.

On the down side, I think they restrict breathing a little bit more than filters that have a lower rating, so if you have health problems it may be something to watch out for. Especially if you are exerting yourself. In industry, sometimes we have to take a physical exam to wear them while working.

My preference is for the low profile miller respirators.

https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/...26847146ff.pdf

https://store.cyberweld.com/milphamareml.html

Any welding shop should have something equivalent to this.

Name:  miller lpr-100.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  44.3 KB

Good info!

I’ve been happy with the 3M 7500 series half-mask respirator for general shop use(with appropriate cartridge/filter). But it has an exhalation valve, so not a good choice if you’re trying to protect high-risk folks around you.

https://pksafety.com/3m-7500-series-...ce-respirator/

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Good info!

I’ve been happy with the 3M 7500 series half-mask respirator for general shop use(with appropriate cartridge/filter). But it has an exhalation valve, so not a good choice if you’re trying to protect high-risk folks around you.

https://pksafety.com/3m-7500-series-...ce-respirator/
    The Miller also has the valves. So don't wear them to grandma's house and expect them to protect her from you. Good point!

I'll certainly be wearing mine while shopping instead of going without a mask though. I'll probably wear nitrile gloves and safety goggles too, just because I always have a pile of that stuff on hand for unrelated reasons. I'll look downright ridiculous, but I bet it will reduce the risk of infection under certain circumstances.

Wife (20 weeks pregnant) and I went out today to find some household items. Bj's wasn't too packed and people seemed courteous as far as I can tell. I made sure anytime I approached a nervous looking person and reached over/around them to get an item I made my presence known, I think it put them at ease. I heard more than once "we're in this together right?" They still had the $18 steaks on the shelves so it appears folks aren't that desperate as of yet. There was a small section of chicken breasts left in the cooler, I calmly walked over and grabbed a pack and added it to my cart. I witnessed one woman jog over, violently open a few of the plastic bags and blindly grab 3 packages and heave them into her cart in a hurry. Excellent display of someone who was buying things just to buy them. Plenty of dry goods to be had as well as baby wipes etc at Target. They did however limit the amount of antibacterial soap to 1 per household.

Work has instituted a much more stringent ems policy as far as the types of runs we respond on. We've narrowed it down to a few key responses:

Chest pain, 35 plus years old
    Stroke/ Seizure
    Severe Hemorrhage
    Difficulty Breathing as chief complaint
    Altered Level Of Consciousness (not the token altered mental status)

They've cancelled any multi company training, outside vendors, visitors, we can leave the firehouse for emergency runs and fuel that's it.

A suspected Covid run requires us to stage until ems (see commercial ambulance company that most likely will not rise to the occasion) determines if they need the manpower etc on the run. If the criteria is met by the patient, we don level B suits and SCBA to assist with the medical. PT is loaded into the ambulance and we call for another company to decon the "entry team". The suits are removed, bagged and decontaminated (somehow) for use at a later date. If we're exposed somehow or someway we're to be taken to a city building to be held for testing, which were told is up to 48 hours.

I can see if this goes to a larger more widespread infection we will likely suspend all EMS responses as there is another agency in the city who can provide the service. As the FIRE DEPARTMENT we are the only ones equipped to respond to Fires, rope and technical rescues as well as vehicle extrication.
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

User Tag List