Page 251 of 725 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301351 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Well, the TV said weeks! So did the NYTimes!
    Hope that is true and they get moving sooner than the reports.
    They spooled up pretty quick for the Haiti earthquake, I believe it was a matter of four or five days.

Those ships are an awesome resource.

I remember reading, but can't find the source, that in the case of the USNS Comfort, the plan is to take it to NYC and divert trauma cases to it. Clearly they'll have to assume anyone they bring on board is infected, but their primary job will be to intake all the New Yorkers who wind up getting in car crashes, get shot, get stabbed, fall of buildings etc, and take some pressure off the other hospitals.

Not sure what the plan is for USNS Mercy. San Francisco would be high on my list of possible destinations though.

Edited because I had the names of the ships swapped.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    But the population of the U.S is 5 to 6 times greater than the population of Italy.
    https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/coun...d-states/italy

US is 33x bigger in land mass. We're also way more germaphobic a nation overall.

We're crashing the ship into the docks at full speed, to clean off some barnacles.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We passed France yesterday on confirmed cases. I expect our numbers to continue to rise.
    Well, we do have more people than every single individual country in Europe, so I would expect that

I bet our per capita numbers will end up being far lower than almost any place in the world.

Hope that is true and they get moving sooner than the reports.
    I thought you, with your vast knowledge of naval tactics and strategy, would know just how long it takes for USNS Mercy to man up and cast off.

Fuck Covid-19
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    They spooled up pretty quick for the Haiti earthquake, I believe it was a matter of four or five days.

Those ships are an awesome resource.

I remember reading, but can't find the source, that in the case of the USNS Comfort, the plan is to take it to NYC and divert trauma cases to it. Clearly they'll have to assume anyone they bring on board is infected, but their primary job will be to intake all the New Yorkers who wind up getting in car crashes, get shot, get stabbed, fall of buildings etc, and take some pressure off the other hospitals.

Not sure what the plan is for USNS Mercy. San Francisco would be high on my list of possible destinations though.

Edited because I had the names of the ships swapped.
    WA is still the hot spot on the west coast. Seattle would be a more productive location for a med ship. Numbers change fast however so who knows in a week or two. NY has past WA in the number of cases in just a few day bigly.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

For those of you with more knowledge of the hospital ships (pretty much every member), does the ship come into port or does it anchor offshore? How are patients transported to/from the ships? Chopper? Boats? Port facilities?

How is a ship like that (re)supplied?

Hammertime
    For my colleagues who maybe haven’t managed a vent in a while. Good short refresher. Be prepared.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000468869178

Hammertime
    I just directed my office to cancel everything up to April 1st inclusive. Basically the next two weeks of operations.

Nothing is urgent and this is in keeping with current CMS and CDC guidelines. This is around 40 outpatient procedures, and 120 clinical office visits It was an extremely hard decision for me and will inconvenience a lot of people, but I can not in good conscience continue risk my patients, or staff's health in this uncertain time. I am almost shaking making the decision actually because it is such a big call for a one man practice. Thankfully I can continue to pay staff, and can personally go without income. For a while anyway. If this goes on for months...

We are out in the sticks so are about two weeks behind the big urban areas. We have no confirmed cases in this county, but I fear the tsunami is coming.

The hospital ships will takes weeks to deploy according the Sec. of Defense. I recall this happened in past crises. Maybe Sandy or Katrina?

So I ask WTF are they good for? A disaster and a war? If when the crisis happens, it takes weeks to turn the key?
    I sat through some budget meetings a couple of years ago when they were proposing decommissioning one of the two hospital ships. One of the arguments for them was that they bought lots of good will to the US when they went to a poor country and provided medical services to the locals.

What are they good for? They could be good for a war, even if it takes them a couple of weeks to activate. You have to admit that the response to the virus has accelerated a lot in the last week. I don't think they were ever intended as short-response emergency overflow hospitals for civilians.

User Tag List