Page 313 of 725 FirstFirst ... 213263303311312313314315323363413 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,130 of 7244

Thread: Coronavirus thread

Site Supporter
    Can someone point me toward an authoritative source of information on how and why small towns with low populations are safer than larger population centers, vis-à-vis avoiding a virus like this one?

I know common sense indicates this very clearly, but if you were making the case to a bureaucratic entity which requires sources, what would you use?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Can someone point me toward an authoritative source of information on how and why small towns with low populations are safer than larger population centers, vis-à-vis avoiding a virus like this one?

I know common sense indicates this very clearly, but if you were making the case to a bureaucratic entity which requires sources, what would you use?

Thanks!
    Maybe the simple fact they don't have the problem with the virus

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    ]
    Well, safe is a very relative term. It only takes one infected carrier to change the dynamic overnight. While generally less traffic and lower population density are helpful, smaller towns (Especially if they aren't in the orbit of a greater metro area) also have concomitantly fewer healthcare resources, including hospitals/facilities, medical staff, supplies, etc...

For example, Westchester NY isn't exactly a big city, but they were hit very hard very early because of an NYC commuter. They also have a high density of medical resources in that area.... a place like Bend OR or Helena MT will not be so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    According to this study, H2O2 is effective with contact time >1 minute. See second table and onward.
    CAUTION: That said, I don't see any notes on what level of saturation is required on fabric (eg PPE).

https://www.journalofhospitalinfecti...046-3/fulltext
    Good find. Thanks for the link.

We never saturated. The idea was a closed container with more time allowed it to do the job as vapor, and then, if you popped the top in the clean room, vapor went away, and you mostly had sterile or nearly sterile water left over, and there was little enough of it to interfere with some of the testing we did. As well as being less horrifying to potentially breath and touch, whence already had lots of things like that to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Well, safe is a very relative term. It only takes one infected carrier to change the dynamic overnight. While generally less traffic and lower population density are helpful, smaller towns (Especially if they aren't in the orbit of a greater metro area) also have concomitantly fewer healthcare resources, including hospitals/facilities, medical staff, supplies, etc...

For example, Westchester NY isn't exactly a big city, but they were hit very hard very early because of an NYC commuter. They also have a high density of medical resources in that area.... a place like Bend OR or Helena MT will not be so lucky.
    We are already seeing cases downstate IL in small towns. Come back in two weeks...

The global economy has made spread of these things happen in weeks instead of months or years. It’s like watching a movie at 10x normal speed.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlK View Post
    I hope to pick one up that has digital temperature selection.
    If you need precise temp control, I'd suggest getting a completely MANUAL toaster oven, and then a plug-in pid controller similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Economic-Temp...5171255&sr=8-3

I use one of these at work, and if it covers your wattage, it works great continually for at least a year. They just pulse power on/off constantly to keep temp. Digital controls wont work with this or similar.

My wife's aunt in NYS just tested positive, rapidly declined, and was placed on a ventilator. Prognosis is very poor, she just beat cancer and has multiple comorbids.

To add insult to injury, she has the same name as my mother (she married into a different group with the same last name) and they're from the same county. Thus, folks are blowing up all our phones asking if my Mom has it. She hasn't lived in NYS in years, but visits occassionally.

My wifes other aunt (#2) has been in close contact, and could have been spreading this having worked at a small town gas station. Seems a large portion of my wife's family including real mom (lives with #2) Dad, Step Momcould be connected through Aunt #2. All are late 50s or early 60s.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    My wife's aunt in NYS just tested positive, rapidly declined, and was placed on a ventilator. Prognosis is very poor, she just beat cancer and has multiple comorbids.
    Very sorry to hear this, brother.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Interesting article from Haaretz. The subject of the article, Dan Yamin, helped develop models regarding the spread of Ebola.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...rong-1.8691031

Sorry to hear this, Cory. It's gonna be a rough slog for a while.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List